Flare guns in some otherwise restricted areas
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flare guns in some otherwise restricted areas

Flare guns in some otherwise restricted areas

Note that I'm not advocating flare guns as a practical self-defense solution. It's just better than nothing in a very limited set of circumstances. If it's you and a BG, what do you want...two empty hands, or one empty hand and a flare gun?

As everyone probably knows, firearms are typically not allowed to be carried in national parks (among other places), although that may be changing. But, signal flare guns are obviously useful should you get lost, and you can easily justify carrying one. You could probably carry one openly on a backpack. It's the one "gun" (aside from a glue gun maybe) that still seems totally innocuous, even to antis.

I carry one in my car for its primary purpose (TEOTWAWKI and I need rescuing) but also it's a good extreme last-resort BUG.

• It may be enough to scare or distract people and animals to allow a quick escape.
    • If you actually shoot someone with it, it may deliver a decent punch and possibly light them on fire.
    • At point-blank range, you can probably do some serious damage.
    • You never know...maybe you'll get lucky and your attacker will be be covered in gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Note that I'm not advocating flare guns as a practical self-defense solution. It's just better than nothing in a very limited set of circumstances. If it's you and a BG, what do you want...two empty hands, or one empty hand and a flare gun?

As everyone probably knows, firearms are typically not allowed to be carried in national parks (among other places), although that may be changing. But, signal flare guns are obviously useful should you get lost, and you can easily justify carrying one. You could probably carry one openly on a backpack. It's the one "gun" (aside from a glue gun maybe) that still seems totally innocuous, even to antis.

I carry one in my car for its primary purpose (TEOTWAWKI and I need rescuing) but also it's a good extreme last-resort BUG.

• It may be enough to scare or distract people and animals to allow a quick escape.
    • If you actually shoot someone with it, it may deliver a decent punch and possibly light them on fire.
    • You never know...maybe you'll get lucky and your attacker will be be covered in gasoline.
    A bunch of friends and I used to shoot at sharks with practice flares (the ones that glow white). When they're less than a foot under water, it really ruins their day. :-)

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. Talking

I also have a flare gun to use for its intended purpose. But, in all honesty, if it's the only means of defence in a bad situation, I certainly have no qualms against using it against anyone/anything trying to ruin my day.
    Stay safe - DW
    NRA Endowment Member
    Retired Fed

Have any of you ever actually had to use a flare gun for defensive purposes? How would it work? Would you brandish it, fire a warning shot, or if SHTF, actually shoot a BG with it?

IF it was a last resort thingy I would have no problem with shooting it. Pretty much what dacingwolf stated. Never crossed my mind, but now You got me thinking of getting one and keeping it in the vehicle/s.
    Good Thread!
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

gotta use your head for sure. pretty much anything can be made into a weapon. and if setting someone on fire for doing stupid things is what it takes, then so be it.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Keep in mind that due to the short barrel and other factors, the flares don't fly straight. Shootingsharks was very challenging. The flight of the flare added to the fun.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

9. Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post

Flare guns are good to have.

Let's see how the proposal to carry in National Parks goes.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Sure, I'll carry around a green star cluster.
    It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!-Emiliano Zapata

11. Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    As everyone probably knows, firearms are typically not allowed to be carried in national parks (among other places), although that may be changing. But, signal flare guns are obviously useful should you get lost, and you can easily justify carrying one.
    Might depend on the day's fire alert status.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast