primers

Thread: primers

1. primers

has any one heard of using mag.small pistol primers in place of just small pistol primers

3. primers

Yep I have used them on 9 mm 40 aw 38. I found using a slower burning powder works best. Don't use max loads. I used loads in the middle and have not had a problem.

It can be done and I have used them before when I can't find regular primers for my .40. Funny thing is I can't really tell a difference so maybe it has something to do with the powder. I use HB-38 and on my first attempts I reduced the charge and fired off a few rounds. They felt a little weak so I chronograph them and sure enough the were slower. I worked up the charge to something I was comfortable with and noted the powder weight on my chart for future reference. I would suggest that you start with the minimum charge for that bullet weight and work it up. As always YMMV.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I actually did some Chronograph testing on the difference between magnum and regular primers. Using 9mm .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I found that there was about a 40 to 50 fps difference between the two primers. Regardless of caliber.

As stated above. As long as you don't use max loads there should not be a problem.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

6. thanks for the info been reloading for years just never heard of it and agin thanks