Be careful folks. Sad website......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be careful folks. Sad website......

1. Be careful folks. Sad website......

3. Probably most of us on this forum could help teach people about gun safety. Most of these should have been avoided. Maybe gun safety should be a mandatory elementary school topic. That is something that probably would save lives.

Be careful folks. Sad website......

I'm sorry but I don't believe in accidental guns going off. It's negligent plain and simple. A gun is an object that takes the operator to make it go bang!!

It's the same with cars, it takes a driver to create an accident usually. Sometimes a malfunction of the car. But they are still accidents. To deny there are firearms accidents is a semantic exercise that serves no purpose other than to divert resources from teaching fundamental safety.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

while a tragedy people who own dangerous tools need to know how to use them safely.

7. Point is guys, these shootings are happening.
    No one wants anyone to be hurt "accidentally" or otherwise. Look at the number of these incidents, and the dates. They are happening multiple times PER day. This doesn't help the people injured, nor the 2A causes.

Too much carelessness. Maybe a firearms safety course and certification should required before anyone can be allowed to purchase a firearm.
    People need to remember to make sure the gun is unloaded before showing it to a friend and before it is stored. I also agree that a gun safety course should be offered in our schools along with health and P.E..
    This brain dead foolishness needs to stop, it makes the rest of us who are careful look bad and adds fuel to the arguments of the liberal gun grabbers.
    Our state Government spends a fair amount of money to remind people that seatbelts save lives, maybe some of that money should be spent to remind people
    to safety (unload) and properly store our firearms.

9. I read the first six or so and they all could have been avoided if the guns had been properly cleared before handling. I've oohed and awed over other's carry pistols, and they mine, but they clear the gun first, hand it to me, then I clear it again to be sure. Same thing when they looked at mine. As they said on King of the Hill: "I didn't know it was loaded" is not an acceptable excuse.

I disagree that "negligent" versus "accidental" is merely semantics. Words have power. In many contexts, "accident" removes or reduces responsibility. Notice the language in one of the reports: "Degroot said the gun accidentally went off and a bullet struck him in the leg, police said." Degroot didn't unintentionally pull the trigger and shoot himself because he wasn't paying attention or practicing proper safety procedures, the gun accidentally fired itself into his leg. That sentence makes the gun the actor and responsible party, when it should obviously be Degroot. Using the word negligent puts the responsibility back in the hands of the person handling the gun, and says that this was a preventable occurance (which most are), not just an accident that happens for no reason sometimes. We're talking about unintentionally firing a gun into yourself or another, not dropping a dish while washing.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    It's the same with cars, it takes a driver to create an accident usually. Sometimes a malfunction of the car. But they are still accidents. To deny there are firearms accidents is a semantic exercise that serves no purpose other than to divert resources from teaching fundamental safety.
    True, but just because they're accidents doesn't mean nobody's at fault. I don't think Ryan Dunn meant to drive into a tree and burn to death in his car but he was also drunk and driving 100mph. I agree that all negligent discharges are in fact "accidents" but I believe people use the term "accidental discharge" to try and skirt taking responsibility for their recklessness. If a gun goes off 99.9% a person caused it. Even if the sear somehow broke, modern firearms have redundancies built in like half-cock notches and firing pin blockers that require human intervention to overcome.

I remember the story of the 85 year old lady that was admitted to the emergency room with a gunshot to her left knee cap. The doctors asked what happened and she went into this tearful story of how her husband of 65 years had just died and she didn't want to go on living. Well she thought about suicide. Poison she was afraid would be too painful. Natural gas could cause an explosion and hurt neighbors. A knife would be too difficult so she thought about using her pistol. She couldn't shoot herself in the head because it would be too upsetting for the children that may find her so she thought she could shoot herself in the heart...but where is the heart. After looking through books she finally called her doctor demanding to know where her heart was. He told her...under your left breast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast