"Unless authorized by law"
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Unless authorized by law"

"Unless authorized by law"

So I'm traveling in Ohio today and many locations have "No guns" signs. That being said, on the signs it says "Unless authorized by law". I interpret that as I am legal to carry by law being a CC license holder from a reciprocal state so I can carry in those locations. I havent because my gut tells me otherwise. Am I out to lunch?

3. I always wondered that too. Having a CCW license, to me, means that the state authorized you to carry, and you're licensed to do so. If I ever got "caught" in that situation, I would just say I thought I was authorized. However, I'm sure they probably mean you need to be an officer. If anyone knows the legality of this, I'd love to know.

In Virginia the owner of any business or property can prohibit firearms within the boundaries of their business or property. It is not criminal carry into thir business even if posted but they can tell you to leave. If you refuse it would then be considered trespassing.

Maybe this will answer your question.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    I am familiar with the site. I am also familiar that the signs carry the force of the law in Ohio. My question pertains to the wording on the signs. Very misleading in my opinion. As I stated, I reluctantly havent carried because of my research. I just think the language should be more clear on the signs.

Another here who has wondered about this wording. Technically, state law dictates the licensure/permit process to carry concealed; therefore, it is logical to conclude that we are "allowed by law." However, as stated above, I'm sure they are referring to LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Hey Trout: Read it and learn about the relevant state or states. In SC, for example, the definition of a "sign" is very clear. If it is not presented per the law, it has no legal consequence. I am sure many other states have specific requirements for posting such signs. I would think that being CC means exactly that so if there is no sign and you are CC--no harm, no foul, no one but you knows--keep it that way and this is a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    In Virginia the owner of any business or property can prohibit firearms within the boundaries of their business or property. It is not criminal carry into thir business even if posted but they can tell you to leave. If you refuse it would then be considered trespassing.
    Same here in Kentucky.

In Ohio, those signs you are describing are "legally" binding as a no-carry zone... HOWEVER, the Constitution of the US and Ohio's Constitution both say SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED... That to me says everyone is Authorized BY LAW.......

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    Same here in Kentucky.

Same in my home state of WV. They don't carry the force of law.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast