Flashlights - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    How much did the 600 lumen cost? I feel like this was probably a typo for 160 lumen like apvb said.
    The 600 was a gift...But I see it online with battery fro around 23.00..

If it is a type then they printed the same on the light..Look at the pics.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
    How much did the 600 lumen cost? I feel like this was probably a typo for 160 lumen like apvb said.
    The 600 was a gift...But I see it online with battery fro around 23.00..

If it is a type then they printed the same on the light..Look at the pics.
    Hmm, hadn't noticed that, good catch. Well, best of luck with it. I'd be wary of the quality of a $15 flashlight that supposedly puts out 1600 lumens, but if you've had good luck with the brand in the past, I see no reason not to try it. Nice find.

Flashlights

I just ordered a Surefire E2D Ultra Defender 500 lumens..a good deal for$185

I'm personally a big believer of Streamlight products and have their TLR-1s (300 lumen), TLR-4, Protac HL (600 lumen - it definitely shows it), Super Tac X, Protac TL-2 X, Protac 1L, PolyTac 90 LED, WayPoint, Stylus UV, Key-Mate, MicroStream, and a Sidewinder Compact II. The TLR-1s spends time on my full-size pistols for home defense, and the Protac HL is within reach for the same reason just in case. Between the 300 lumen of the pistol light (strobe mode is nuts) and the 600 for the handheld which is just ridiculous, I'm extremely confident in their ability to overwhelm a perp or just lighting the way for clearing and maneuvering. The TLR-4 was my primary weapon light/laser until I bought a Viridian C5L which now rides on my XD 45 Compact for home defense and carry with the ECR holster from Viridian. So now the TLR-4 serves as another home defense weapon light/laser on another pistol. The Super Tac X was my primary home defense light until the Protac HL arrived and will be serving a role as a weapon light on one of my AR builds I'm in the process of putting together. The Protac TL-2 X is a great unit and sits in one of the pockets of one of my 5.11 jackets that I dedicated that light to for carrying/self-defense. The Protac 1L is my EDC light because of its 110 lumen power (sufficient) with strobe, and its light weight and size, along with using CR123As which I have a plentiful supply of and know that I can count on them to be ready for me. The PolyTac 90 LED, WayPoint, and MicroStream are stowed in my vehicles for road-side emergencies or other outdoor use. The Key-Mate is pretty obvious as I carry that on my keyring as a backup should I forget my Protac 1L, and the Stylus UV is for utility work such as checking for A/C leaks and inspecting authenticity of WWII items etc. UV lights can come in handy when you'd least expect it. Finally the Sidewinder Compact II is for my tac vest and/or helmet that I plan to use during airsoft skirmishes, and could also come in handy on my tac vest for other purposes should the need arise.

I still have my first tac light, a Surefire 6P that I bought a while back but the 60 lumen head pales in comparison to what these LED units from Streamlight can muster and plan to upgrade the head at some point to keep pace, but it's a nice backup in the nightstand. The only reason I'd give Surefire the nod over Streamlight is that they're US-made, not just US-built, and I believe their warranty surpasses Streamlight's, but I've yet to put either to the test. Streamlight offers a better value overall but I know that Surefire carries a trusted name on everything they make which is tough to beat if cost is no object and they have notoriety in their favor, but Streamlight isn't far behind. One reason I avoid the really inexpensive mega-lumen lights is that I personally don't trust a company's products unless I know they're fielded and selected by professionals such as law enforcement agencies or military units, so the claims of their output are a bit sketchy to me. I personally don't believe they have the money invested into creating a proper reflector assembly nor the circuitry needed to maintain safe and consistent light output over the life of the power source, along with their durability and ability to hold up to hard use. You may get lucky, but I buy these lights with the notion that I'd count on one to get my hide out of a real jam and defend my family when the ***** hits the fan, whatever the source of the excrement may be. Surefire and Streamlight and a few other makers out there build their units for duty use and their reputation has been built on supplying those industries with products that last and stand up to the abuse they face every day and stake their names on it.

With all of that said, I know it's tough to illustrate, but I'd love to see some comparisons of the units being discussed by the OP and others on this thread that have purchased one of the inexpensive, high-output lights if they can do a side-by-side against a known product from a brand such as Surefire or Streamlight. I won't deny that 1600 lumen is a very tempting number.

I used Surefire in the Army, wasnt ever really impressed with the lights, not sure why, but was just never my preference. I now carry the Stream light strion (about 120.00) for duty carry at work, and use the Stream Light TLR-1(about 140.00) as my weapon mounted light, both at work and for personal carry. Wouldnt choose any other brand of light.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

For work I prefer streamlight, for weaponlights i prefer surefire.

I am sure that some will disagree with this next one, but for me ultrafire (ebay) in either the 501 or 502 model has always served me right. For 20 bucks plus li-ion battery and charger it is generally as bright or brighter than the 200 dollar lights. They have aluminum bodies with Cree Led bulbs.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    Let us know how it works. I am always skeptical of the mega lumen claims on inexpensive flashlights. Although Cree makes one of the best LED's in the business it's still hard to imagine a true 1600 lumens of light for 15.00 bucks.

I have one of the 600LM units by this mfg and have been impressed...I just noticed the 1600LM unit so I ordered it..
    If you look at the pictures in the ad, it shows "1600" on the side of the flashlight. I'd be interested in hearing some reviews from anybody that buys one.

[QUOTE=Itstjs;439310]I used Surefire in the Army, wasnt ever really impressed with the lights, not sure why, but was just never my preference. I now carry the Stream light strion (about 120.00) for duty carry at work, and use the Stream Light TLR-1(about 140.00) as my weapon mounted light, both at work and for personal carry. Wouldnt choose any other brand of light.[/QUOTE

I bought the StreamlightTLR-4 that has the laser/light combo on the advice of someone on this forum. Very pleased with it. Strong light and laser. Got it on optic planet for $115.

Surefire 6PX pro dual output, 15lumen & 320 lumen. $80 at amazon.com, you can find most flashlights there for less than the retailer.

Wow I forgot about my post!!

I received the light, and it is bright as h3!!......One strange thing is that the bean is square.....(Where it hits the wall)..Never seen one like that...But it is way brighter than the 600ML.

Heavy aircraft aluminum....Quality light...I'm very pleased.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast