I do have a problem with my pistol, but... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I do have a problem with my pistol, but...

(Update)

It's been a long time but finally I had a chance to try something with my gun to fix this "FTF" problem. First, the symptoms... Randomly, rounds were failing to feed all the way. Pistol was not staying in "racked" position after the last round, which always should. All my manual racking tests were successful, the gun stayed racked after the last round... so it was not the locking mechanism. I felt the gun wasn't recoiling back all the way during discharge, rather returning back prematurely and half feeding the rounds. This can be caused either soft-handling the pistol, not giving enough resistance for the recoil, or the spring is too hard... and I was correct on the second reason. I cut three rims out of the recoil spring, and tested today.
    Test results... I tried using one round in the magazine and firing, which pistol stayed racked position each time (5 tries). I loaded 2 rounds at a time, and fired, pistol stayed racked position each time (5 tries). I loaded the magazine and the chamber (9 rounds total), rapid fire, no problem feeding and at the end, it stayed racked position.
    I am now %100 happy with my 45Cal ZIG M1911 pistol, and feel better about any possible conflict.

3. If it wasn't the magazine, and you felt the recoil spring assembly was too stiff, I would have hand racked that weapon aggressively hundreds of times to break-in that spring/rail guides, instead of cutting it. This after cleaning the factory gook out of the slide assembly and rails, and lubing it very well. It could have been ammo sensitive, hold sensitive, not broken-in, and if another magazine didn't fix the issue, or other ammo, then I would have contacted Bud's.

Some of these sidearms need broken-in, some do not. This is just my opinion, but I would not have cut anything off that spring. One should not have to put a band-aid on a problem that may have only needed time, or new parts/gun.

Good luck with your new purchase, and I'd contact Bud's to see if spare parts are available "just in case" you have future issues.

Charles

The pistol is not too new anymore... I have used it for many range shootings, hundreds maybe thousand rounds. It has warn out edges, rusted screws and pretty much handle changed color from wood to something much different! I have tried racking the pistol to break-in, but FTF continued. Reading this post, I decided to do something about it. I was a mechanical engineer, I do understand moving metal parts, and how they were made. I am no gunsmith, but I used my own experiences in mechanics, tested a few things and came with the final conclusion to just shave off of the recoil spring... which fixed my problem.
    I NO way saying anyone to do the same thing, my update was not to encourage people to do the same kind of fix. It very well could be the locking system, or magazine, or something else... My last option would be to send the pistol the a gunsmith, or just hang it on the wall and get another one :)
    At this point, I am much more comfortable carrying my pistol with me.

5. I'm betting on the mags being the issue. With a 1911, it usually is the mag.

What brand are you using? Colt and GI mags are usually reliable but Wilson Combat's 1911 mags have been the benchmark for reliable 1911 mags for more than 20 years. Chip McCormick's mags are also very, very good, too. I've used all of the above but I prefer the Wilson 8 rounder for the .45. For 9mm's I use Pachmayr and I use Wilson for .38 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I'm betting on the mags being the issue. With a 1911, it usually is the mag.

What brand are you using? Colt and GI mags are usually reliable but Wilson Combat's 1911 mags have been the benchmark for reliable 1911 mags for more than 20 years. Chip McCormick's mags are also very, very good, too. I've used all of the above but I prefer the Wilson 8 rounder for the .45. For 9mm's I use Pachmayr and I use Wilson for .38 Super.
    I bought a Wilson Combat 8rnd mag for my Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded model. I did so based on the reputation of reliability but when I insert the mag it gets caught up on the mag release. A forceable shove seats it in there or pressing on the mag release button. depressing the button allows it to smoothly seat whereas the caveman method of force seems to me would eventually wear out whatever it is being caught on. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

7. Quote Originally Posted by ZIG1911 View Post
    The pistol is not too new anymore... I have used it for many range shootings, hundreds maybe thousand rounds. It has warn out edges, rusted screws and pretty much handle changed color from wood to something much different! I have tried racking the pistol to break-in, but FTF continued. Reading this post, I decided to do something about it. I was a mechanical engineer, I do understand moving metal parts, and how they were made. I am no gunsmith, but I used my own experiences in mechanics, tested a few things and came with the final conclusion to just shave off of the recoil spring... which fixed my problem.
    I NO way saying anyone to do the same thing, my update was not to encourage people to do the same kind of fix. It very well could be the locking system, or magazine, or something else... My last option would be to send the pistol the a gunsmith, or just hang it on the wall and get another one :)
    Ah, I assumed it was a brand new pistol. Good you found a personal fix. Hope it stays working for you!

Charles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIG1911 View Post
    Rust? Handle changed colors? This is something that always confuses me...why do some people not clean or properly maintain a weapon they plan on carrying??!! Is it laziness? Ignorance? Wtf?! Some of mine are almost a century old and none of them have rust. As a mechanical engineer, you should be able to recognize operator error when you see it.

That would be a great "malfunction training" gun, but not as a SD gun.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Rust? Handle changed colors? This is something that always confuses me...why do some people not clean or properly maintain a weapon they plan on carrying??!! Is it laziness? Ignorance? Wtf?! Some of mine are almost a century old and none of them have rust. As a mechanical engineer, you should be able to recognize operator error when you see it.
    I live in Phoenix, very hot here... Most of the time, the handle has contact with my skin, and sweat what makes the most damage outside. Wood handle changed color, I should have actually apply some wood protection on it, but didn't. I wanted to look old. Screws which holds the wood grips rusted. I assume the material was cheap... I might change those soon. Other than that pistol is very clean, I do clean after each range shooting, and if I don't go to range more than two months, I still field strip and clean inside and out. Mechanics of the pistol in top shape, and now in better condition after the fix.

It's a short trigger, single action only pistol with a very good accuracy. I am not sure if I can post a link here, but this is my very first video with the pistol. I will be posting another one very soon... after the fix version.

Have a qualified gunsmith work on it. At ROBAR we have worked on nearly every 1911 on the market. When set up properly the 1911 can be very reliable. A few things need to happen first one as said before quality magazines can go a long way to improving function. I suggest Wilson's ETM or the Chip McCormick 8 rounders (This I got from the Hilton Yam of 10-8). Also the feed ramp needs to be deep enough and smooth along with the feed ramps. The extractor is one of the most important pieces and if tuned with a good hammer stop to prevent clocking. All these corrections may solve 90% of 1911 problems with reliability.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast