Go Ahead, Make My Day...Shooting the .44 Magnum - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go Ahead, Make My Day...Shooting the .44 Magnum

The Model 29 fires six shots, not only five.

But in all the excitement, I kind of lost track myself.

;)
    My YouTube gun and shooting channel: VDMA VIDEOS.
    Member of: NRA (Life/Endowment); GOA (Life); SAF (Life); NSSF (Media); NAGR; CCRTKBA

kelcarry.....Appreciate your comment.I totally understand that the forum and firearms discussed are all about self defense.I simply was making the comment that heads turn when the hand-cannon comes out.I don't shoot any of my firearms to turn heads.As I said in the post I own a Redhawk .44 and I know how to use it just fine.In a self defense situation I would use my .44 if that's all that I had.I think its overkill inside a home against a perpetrator.However, outside against a bear or moose it would do the job perfectly. I personally and much prefer my S&W model 19-5 .357 for self defense in a home setting.I keep that gun within reach at all times at my home.If I was in bear country and hunting my .44 would be my firearm of choice at my side along with whatever rifle I had with me.By the way ,the .44 is a six shot last I checked.I own multiple revolvers and I actually prefer them over semis...but that's just me.Here's a pic of a couple of my babys.Sorry for the threadjack Amsdorf.Beautiful model 29 you have there.
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Not trying to criticize nor make fun but the intent of this forum and the firearms discussed is all about self defense and has nothing to do with "turning heads at the range". I also have "looked over" several stalls to see what all the "noise" was and it usually is one of these revolvers. My comment would be that if you want such a revolver, you had better know how to use it and use it competently and effectively and not just because people turn their heads. Once you expend your 5 shots, all that power is now just a hunk of metal. Just trying to put a dose of reality into the thread. Personally, I have an FN5.7 X28 semi auto with 20 rounds and 1 in the chamber. Light weight, lo recoil, and devastating velocity and accuracy at distance--that is what I consider self defense. Not sure how others read this but it is not meant to criticize in any way, it is meant to put some realism into what a 5 shot revolver, regardless of power, can and cannot do for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images Go Ahead, Make My Day...Shooting the .44 Magnum-.357.jpg Go Ahead, Make My Day...Shooting the .44 Magnum-.44.jpg Go Ahead, Make My Day...Shooting the .44 Magnum-.357-.44.jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    That is awesome, so can you go bear hunting with that? I see that you control the recoil on it pretty good those.
    Yeah! you can go "anything" hunting with that. Its a real head turner at the range too. Took my model 29 (6in barrel) to the indoor range a few weeks ago. People were looking. Love shooting it!

This is in the General Firearms Discussion forum so I thinks head turning falls into the category.

I agree that I would not carry a .44 MAG revolver for personal protection from the 2 legged species. However when in bear country I would not have anything but.

That being said, when I am in bear country I have both the hand cannon and my EDC gun.

Not trying to criticize nor make fun but the intent of this forum and the firearms discussed is all about self defense and has nothing to do with "turning heads at the range". I also have "looked over" several stalls to see what all the "noise" was and it usually is one of these revolvers. My comment would be that if you want such a revolver, you had better know how to use it and use it competently and effectively and not just because people turn their heads. Once you expend your 5 shots, all that power is now just a hunk of metal. Just trying to put a dose of reality into the thread. Personally, I have an FN5.7 X28 semi auto with 20 rounds and 1 in the chamber. Light weight, lo recoil, and devastating velocity and accuracy at distance--that is what I consider self defense. Not sure how others read this but it is not meant to criticize in any way, it is meant to put some realism into what a 5 shot revolver, regardless of power, can and cannot do for you.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    I agree that I would not carry a .44 MAG revolver for personal protection from the 2 legged species. .
    I don't know. If ya got the girth, ability and training. I say go for it for personal protection. If ya gotta throw lead, throw the biggest chunks ya can. IMHO. You probably will never get another chance if in a fire fight. Plan, train and hopefully survive.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I've carried my Vaquero many times. In public places and at home it's loaded with .44 spl. 240 gr. JHP, when traveling and when in the boonies it's loaded with the Magnum 240 gr. JHP.
    It Is Appointed Onto Man Once To Die, And After That To Face Judgement

Not trying to criticize nor make fun but the intent of this forum and the firearms discussed is all about self defense and has nothing to do with "turning heads at the range".
    That is incorrect. This is the General Firearm Discussion forum:

Below you will find a list of discussions in the General Firearm Discussion forums at the USA Carry - Concealed Carry Forum. The General Firearm Discussion forum Feel free to talk about anything and everything firearms related in this board. But if it is something subject specific, please check the Subject Specific forums to see if it fits.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I have a Ruger Red Hawk and it is definitely really fun to shoot, although not very easily concealed. There isn't any subtlety here. I also have a Colt signature series Walker and it might even be more fun. It's accurate, powerful, very loud, and produces clouds of black powder smoke. I didn't say practical but fun. It weighs almost 5 pounds and is almost 18 inches in length. My carry gun is a practical and boring S & W , M & P in 9 mm.

Thanks MADnMO and Lukem for the backup there.I didn't mean to threadjack Amsdorfs thread as it was both fun and informative for a holiday that every good american should both honour and respect.Kelcarry.....I took no offense to your comment bro.I only felt that you were kinda calling me out so I had to comment back.Ones gotta have thick skin to be on most gun forums.I know I am new here on your forums, but I would hope that I am welcome stay and participate as long as no rules are broken.No harm no foul gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    That is incorrect. This is the General Firearm Discussion forum:

Below you will find a list of discussions in the General Firearm Discussion forums at the USA Carry - Concealed Carry Forum. The General Firearm Discussion forum Feel free to talk about anything and everything firearms related in this board. But if it is something subject specific, please check the Subject Specific forums to see if it fits.

Thanks....

:)

Some people need to learn to read before commenting.
    My YouTube gun and shooting channel: VDMA VIDEOS.
    Member of: NRA (Life/Endowment); GOA (Life); SAF (Life); NSSF (Media); NAGR; CCRTKBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12