Think a solid door would stop a bullet?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think a solid door would stop a bullet?

1. Think a solid door would stop a bullet?

Any of you guys ever wonder about how effective a door would be against a bullet? I've always wondered. Well this weekend I got to test it out and turns out I wouldn't ever trust a door for cover. I mean I knew most hollow household doors wouldn't cut it, but here where I work we use solid 1-3/4" wood doors, heavy as hell. We recently took out a wall to open up some space and the door was sitting out by the dumpster so I picked it up and took it to the range. Now I knew pretty well it wouldn't stop a rifle round, but I thought for sure it would stop most any pistol round. I hit it with the .40 and it didn't even slow down. I also hit it with a .22 mag and that didn't even slow down. Here's some pictures. I hit the door with everything you see in my arsenal here...
    Attached Images Attached Images Think a solid door would stop a bullet?-image.jpg Think a solid door would stop a bullet?-image.jpg Think a solid door would stop a bullet?-image.jpg Think a solid door would stop a bullet?-image.jpg Think a solid door would stop a bullet?-image.jpg 

I did the same thing to an old door from my cabin. Same results, even with slugs & oo buck.
    Don't be fooled by "Steel" doors either. Just a skin over wood. A steel commercial door may
    give you some protection.
    Best cover in your home would be a bookcase.

Just blew $200.00 door up on the recycle circuit. Wood just doesn't stop small projectiles. That door appears to be a veneer over paticle board.
    Steel doors: commercial no protection, residential: no protection. I have tested several suposed secure rooms over the years. Layering of materieals is the best at stopping projectiles. My 2 cents.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Even trees smaller than 2 ft dia wont stop most rifle rounds in the thickest part of the tree.... very sobering to think about....

Although, there arent very many people who will try to shoot you through them, the same even goes for a sheetrock wall.... Most shooters have a mental block (thank goodness) that if they cant see you they cant hit you.... I wouldnt bet my life on their ignorance though.... MOVE TO (effective) COVER and return fire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    Just blew $200.00 door up on the recycle circuit. Wood just doesn't stop small projectiles. That door appears to be a veneer over paticle board.
    Steel doors: commercial no protection, residential: no protection. I have tested several suposed secure rooms over the years. Layering of materieals is the best at stopping projectiles. My 2 cents.
    I'm looking to replace three external doors with something a little tougher. Any recommendations where I should look?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    The same even goes for a sheetrock wall....
    We shot-up an old sheetrock/wood frame wall with 00 buck to see what would happen. Just blew it apart. Gonna need some spackle.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Have the Doors custom made. Pivit Hinges work best for the weight of the doors. Price goes up with level of protection. What the walls are made of makes the doors useless if their not better or the same level of protection. It can become expensive.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

The doors where I used to work may have stopped those rounds. But at several thousand per door, heavy enough that one person could not move them if off the hinges, and with a composite construction including lead sheets inside. Doors were supposed to be tornado driven debris proof.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

10. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    The doors where I used to work may have stopped those rounds. But at several thousand per door, heavy enough that one person could not move them if off the hinges, and with a composite construction including lead sheets inside. Doors were supposed to be tornado driven debris proof.
    Oh god lets not get into Tornados. My town here in upstate SC had 2 tiny tornados touch down here today that didn't do anything more than f-up a couple people's backyard fences and down a couple trees, but if you were to watch our local news you'd swear they were gonna try and get Obama down here this week to survey the damage. We get mild versions of every type of severe weather you can think of so we have to blow it out of proportion when we get it to make ourselves sound important or something. If our weather channel threatens an inch or 2 of snow, the price of stock for milk and bread goes through the roof.

I think ONE house had a couple shingles get pulled off their roof today and they've been on the news since 5 o clock this afternoon.

But anyways, I digress...I wouldn't really worry about bulletproofing my doors as much as I'd just want to make sure they're not easily kicked in. Cause it's like I told a friend of mine a while back who was trying to do all this ridiculous stuff to make sure his car wasn't broken into, if somebody wants in bad enough, they're getting in. And as my granddad always said, "a lock only keeps an honest man out."

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I'm looking to replace three external doors with something a little tougher. Any recommendations where I should look?
    Are you just looking to make it more difficult to break down the door? I am considering this and found Easy Armor. Did not purchase it yet but reviews look favorable. It reinforces the week points of your door at the handle/bolt and hinges making it very difficult to break in. If you already have solid doors then you wouldn't need to replace unless you're looking for something that would stop bullets. Steel plates maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast