Having A Right To Carry Does Not Make You A LEO - Page 4
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Having A Right To Carry Does Not Make You A LEO

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by White1 View Post
    Grandfather, 72 shot dead in his own driveway by police while investigating neighbor's burglar alarm | Mail Online

This incident is a tragedy from top to bottom. For those of us who are civilians who own firearms, I think one lesson to be drawn is that you have to think very, very carefully before you inject yourself into a situation and try to help a third party. Among other things, you have to think about how you'll be perceived by responding officers, particularly by responding officers in the dark, who may be full of adrenaline, and who may or may not have much experience. I'm sure that Mr. Waller had the best of intentions but, in hindsight, it was not the best judgment to venture forth into the dark, weapon drawn, and with the police on their way.
    It is simply not possible to square the numbers above and the experience of Florida with the notions that honest, law-abiding gun owners are borderline psychopaths itching for an excuse to shoot someone, vigilantes eager to seek out and summarily execute the lawless, or incompetent fools incapable of determining when it is proper to use lethal force in defense of their lives. Nor upon reflection should these results seem surprising. Rape, robbery, and attempted murder are not typically actions rife with ambiguity or subtlety, requiring special powers of observation and great book-learning to discern. When a man pulls a knife on a woman and says, "You're coming with me," her judgment that a crime is being committed is not likely to be in error. There is little chance that she is going to shoot the wrong person. It is the police, because they are rarely at the scene of the crime when it occurs, who are more likely to find themselves in circumstances where guilt and innocence are not so clear-cut, and in which the probability for mistakes is higher.
    Jeffrey R. Snyder, "A Nation of Cowards," Fall 1993 issue of The Public Interest

This whole incident is a mess, I get the concept of property rights but I’m not willing to die stupidly defending them.

Had the neighbor not made the tactical error of leaving his home to go looking for the bad guy we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I don’t have enough information to say whether or not the police acted wrongfully but I am positive the neighbor did.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I don’t have enough information to say whether or not the police acted wrongfully but I am positive the neighbor did.
    So, according to you treo..... it is wrong for someone to be on their own property while armed.....

Its stupid to not put down your gun when the police tell you too
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    So, according to you treo..... it is wrong for someone to be on their own property while armed.....
    Nope, never said that. What I said was had the neighbor not made a stupid tactical decision to leave his home to go look for the (actually someone else’s) bad guy we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I don’t see this as a property rights issue at all; I see it as a guy making a stupid mistake that got him killed. Wandering around in the dark looking for someone you don’t know is a wonderful way to walk into an ambush that’s why people recommend you don’t do it. The whole property rights issue is secondary to that (IMO).

As I’ve said before I have no idea what actually happened when this guy met up with the police but I am 100% positive that had he not been wandering around in the dark it wouldn’t have happened.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Its stupid to not put down your gun when the police tell you too

Stupid? Where do you come up with that? Are you a badgefluffer?
    Or do you cower at the sight of anyone in "authority" and immediately start licking their boots?

Nope, never said that. What I said was had the neighbor not made a stupid tactical decision to leave his home to go look for the (actually someone else’s) bad guy we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I don’t see this as a property rights issue at all; I see it as a guy making a stupid mistake that got him killed. Wandering around in the dark looking for someone you don’t know is a wonderful way to walk into an ambush that’s why people recommend you don’t do it. The whole property rights issue is secondary to that (IMO).

As I’ve said before I have no idea what actually happened when this guy met up with the police but I am 100% positive that had he not been wandering around in the dark it wouldn’t have happened.
    BEEP!!! nope, sorry, wrong answer.......

Here is a hint for you:

IF THE COPS WERE NOT AT THE WRONG ADDRESS THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY.

DO NOT
    Put the blame of this on the innocent party who was murdered by the cops.....

Stupid? Where do you come up with that? Are you a badgefluffer?
    Or do you cower at the sight of anyone in "authority" and immediately start licking their boots?
    Dying for your beliefs is one thing, dying for no real good reason or just to prove a point is stupid. Cop tells you to put down your gun you do it. Unless, of course, you're literally ready to go to war

BEEP!!! nope, sorry, wrong answer.......

Here is a hint for you:

IF THE COPS WERE NOT AT THE WRONG ADDRESS THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY.
    You are (IMO) so stuck on principle that you are completely missing practical application.

No one gives a monkey fart about your "rights" when you're dead.

If there ever was a prowler the alarm should have scared him off (self evident because no prowler was ever caught) there was no good reason for this guy to leave his home to go monster hunting

Dying for your beliefs is one thing, dying for no real good reason or just to prove a point is stupid. Cop tells you to put down your gun you do it. Unless, of course, you're literally ready to go to war
    Ready to go to war? Where have you been? The shooting started many years ago....... The cops kill innocent people almost every day.... I for one am not going out without fighting back........

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast