I still see 9mm brass lying everywhere
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: I still see 9mm brass lying everywhere

  1. I still see 9mm brass lying everywhere

    For my own bullet casting, I am able to "mine" a couple of local ranges for enough lead. I just have to add a bit of tin and antimony. So the 125 gr 9mm and 230 gr .45 slugs that I make cost me nearly the same, 1-2c each. By buying bulk, long ago, my primers are 2c per shot, the powder runs about like the lead, 2x as much for the .45. About the only .45 work I do is competitition. I manage to post A class scores at the stuff I care about (ie, sub-10 yds) If everyone were to use actual, (under the shirt ccw for such stages, I'd win most of the time! :-) I manage this on 2000 .45's per year, a lot of dryfiring, and 3000 or so rds per year thru the Ciener .22 unit on the 1911. I fire a similar amount thru the 9mm Keltec and the Twisted Industries .22 unit for it, and compete with it a little bit. So far, it's also taken 2 deer, from tree stands, at archery type distances, using my ccw loads. Both deer fell within my sight.

    It's all the high speed stuff, at what some call "medium distances" (ie, 10-30 yds) that eat up all of the ammo. God help you if you ever need to actually do this, in real life, cause without an autoloading shotgun and 3" 000 buck loads, your're going to be too slow! :-) I worked and worked at such stuff, years ago, firing as much as 40,000 rds per year, for several years, and it's just not feasible to take on more than one guy at such ranges, unless you have cover and ear protection. Just standing there, firing away,for many seconds, with just a pistol, exposes you to far too much return fire from your enemies. A far better answer is to get to cover, preferably by moving laterally-rearward, or at the least, fall to supine-fetal and brace your wrists, both for making a smaller target profile of yourself and for bracing your wrists between your knees, for greatly increased accuracy (while being shot at).

  2.   
  3. if you have cover, there's no reason, really, in normal times to be firing at cover-using enemies. All that noise is calling in help for you, and making him rush to leave the scene. You will almost certainly miss a bobbing head, around cover, so save your ammo. Bob out frequently, at differently places, with your arms straight out and ready to fire, but expose just one eye, to determine that nobody is outflanking your cover. if they are, they are fully exposed torsos, so use your ammo accordingly. Get your earplugs in place, ASAP, because doing so will double your effective range ( ie, hit the torso at 10 yds, not just 5 yds). :-)

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppor View Post
    Get your earplugs in place, ASAP, because doing so will double your effective range ( ie, hit the torso at 10 yds, not just 5 yds). :-)
    I think you already know what I'm going to say, judging by the responses I've made to you in other posts. The crap you utter on here and state as fact, walking (typing) around like you're the best shooter in the world is the most laughable thing I've seen on here in a while. Your arrogance, ignorance, and spreading of misinformation will find no home here. It amazes me that you honestly believe the crap you write.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I think you already know what I'm going to say, judging by the responses I've made to you in other posts. The crap you utter on here and state as fact, walking (typing) around like you're the best shooter in the world is the most laughable thing I've seen on here in a while. Your arrogance, ignorance, and spreading of misinformation will find no home here. It amazes me that you honestly believe the crap you write.
    Thank you sir. Being fairly novice compaired to some others here...I was like? Earplugs???Really? What the <explative>?

  6. oh, yeah? I bet YOU have shot in over 150 IPSC combat pistol matches, trained with Jeff Cooper, Massaad Ayoob, Len Knight, Mike Harries, Kenny Hackahorn, Bill Wilson, Mike Dalton, Mickey Fowler, Bruce Nelson, Rick Miller, Harry Claflin, Barry Miller, Gerry Gore, Dennis Tueller, John Farnum, and a dozen others of the same caliber, whose names escape me right this second, fired 200,000 rds in combat practice, ccw'd everywhere for 20 years, 'smithed your own carry and competition guns, taken hundreds of animals with ccw guns and loads, right? I have FAR more experience and insight with which to back up my claims than anyone that you ever heard of, pard. For a fact.

  7. just because YOU can't think of a way to have earplugs in your ears as "fast" as nearly anyone can speedload a revolver from ccw (ie, 5 seconds) doesn't mean that it can't be done. It's just further proof that I know a LOT more than you do. what you do is put the plugs in a "clamshell" sort of plastic case, in a front pants pocket, on weak hand side. Run a leather lanyard from the case up to your belt. When you get to cover, stick gun IWB, snath out the case, dump the plugs into your hand, get one in each hand, and into ears. Or do one at a time, and keep the gun in your hand, but beware muzzle pointed at head as you insert plug into ear. :-) also, keep finger out of trigger guard. now, are you going to tell all the REVOLVER guys here that it's pointless for them to carry a speedloader? :-) No you won't, because you are a coward.

  8. #7
    Could someone please pass the salt? Need to freshen my popcorn :p
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppor View Post
    just because YOU can't think of a way to have earplugs in your ears as "fast" as nearly anyone can speedload a revolver from ccw (ie, 5 seconds) doesn't mean that it can't be done. It's just further proof that I know a LOT more than you do. what you do is put the plugs in a "clamshell" sort of plastic case, in a front pants pocket, on weak hand side. Run a leather lanyard from the case up to your belt. When you get to cover, stick gun IWB, snath out the case, dump the plugs into your hand, get one in each hand, and into ears. Or do one at a time, and keep the gun in your hand, but beware muzzle pointed at head as you insert plug into ear. :-) also, keep finger out of trigger guard. now, are you going to tell all the REVOLVER guys here that it's pointless for them to carry a speedloader? :-) No you won't, because you are a coward.
    IF I'm carrying my most recent revolver purchase, a speedloader has never existed for it. Nor will one ever exist as it is a strictly one round at a time unload and load operation. And I don't believe that speedloaders are made for my Colt revolver either. Winchester .32-20 in the second case and 7.62X38R in the first.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppor View Post
    just because YOU can't think of a way to have earplugs in your ears as "fast" as nearly anyone can speedload a revolver from ccw (ie, 5 seconds) doesn't mean that it can't be done. It's just further proof that I know a LOT more than you do.
    Though I am novice compaired with the experience displayed here, I might be able to get earplugs in, but I would just rather spend the time doing just about anything else, looking for egress comes to mind.

    Anyone else reminded of Justin Beiber on that award show saying he should be taken sriously? I kinda take a Jeet philosphy, what ever works for you, but after being confronted with 8 gangster, I carry semi-auto's now. Thinking on this and other experiences, I really just can't see worrying about earplugs. I want my gun pointing where my eyes are if the ****** is that deep.
    Last edited by Martin Hruz; 06-10-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added thought.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Goosetown in the Pintlers
    Posts
    417
    I thought this thread was going to be about picking up abandoned cartridges.
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast