Homeless Rights? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Homeless Rights?

A thing that has not yet been addressed is, if you live in a place where carrying a concealed firearm without a CCW permit is a felony. If you are homeless, you have no way to have a gun AND not have it on you.(obviously, this is not strictly true, but from a practical standpoint, close enough.)
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    A thing that has not yet been addressed is, if you live in a place where carrying a concealed firearm without a CCW permit is a felony. If you are homeless, you have no way to have a gun AND not have it on you.(obviously, this is not strictly true, but from a practical standpoint, close enough.)
    That is why I turned down the gun offered to me.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Of course they still have the RIGHT to bear arms however, homelessness is often caused by things like severe drug addiction or inability to hold down a job due to metal illness which would disqualify them. In addition, I have a feeling most would prefer have $500 of food or clothing rather than a Glock.
    Yes there are homeless people with problems. Interestingly enough though, Oregon has had some very different homeless people. Younger people. Smarter people. Homeless by choice, beggar by trade. And in this current economy, many more stable individuals are becoming homeless.

Not all firearms are $500.
    Being from Vancouver, I'm well acquainted with the Portland area style of homeless. I agree that the homeless community is becoming more diverse which is my I said it is often caused by these things and not always. The beggar-for-trade folks I have a problem with. I've seen my cousin offer several of them good jobs at his multi-million dollar manufacturing company only to have them turn them down vehemently because they can make more money panhandling. I've even seen high school girls begging for money to hire a limo for prom. Personally, I think the complete lack of any kind of work ethic is despicable. My family was well off while I was growing up and yet by 16 I was working two jobs while going to school full time and then enlisted in the Marine Corps immediately after graduation at 18.

The Glock was just an example. For those that truly are desperate, food and clothing are a much more immediate need than a firearm.

As far as being looked down on by LE, if you're from Oregon I'm sure you know Portland PDs record with homeless. The DOJ had to be brought in to tame their trigger fingers. I'm not sure I'd want to know the outcome if a PPB officer actually found a firearm on a transient, legally carried or not, it probably wouldn't be pretty.

Absolutely, 2nd Amendments says nothing about having to own anything.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345