Homeless Rights?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless Rights?

Homeless Rights?

Do homeless people have a Right to bear arms?

(Been a thought that has been running through my mind lately, not sure where the discussion will head, hope it's interesting though)
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do homeless people have a Right to bear arms?
    Of course they do. One does not lose their rights nor can they be denied their rights simply because they don't have a home.
    It Is Appointed Onto Man Once To Die, And After That To Face Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Of course they do. One does not lose their rights nor can they be denied their rights simply because they don't have a home.
    I agree, as its a natural Right, one doesn't lose it just because they're homeless, but...

How does one purchase a firearm without a home address (aside from private purchases, let's say homeless people in states that do not allow private purchases)?

Do you [anyone] think the general population would look at it negatively? Law enforcement?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just a question - Is it necessary in USA to have proof of purchase of a firearm? What happens if someone gives a firearm to another person?

Quote Originally Posted by Greggatshack View Post
    Just a question - Is it necessary in USA to have proof of purchase of a firearm? What happens if someone gives a firearm to another person?
    Laws vary from state to state but in the vast majority of them, no. Private sales of firearms are legal and bills of sale are not required. They're not a bad idea if you're selling though, in case the gun you sell is used in a crime and the police come knocking, and can prove you sold it beforehand. They act as a sort of decentralized and non-government controlled registry. Government has no idea who owns what but the police can still trace it if they need to (pending court orders if the sellers desire.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I agree, as its a natural Right, one doesn't lose it just because they're homeless, but...

How does one purchase a firearm without a home address (aside from private purchases, let's say homeless people in states that do not allow private purchases)?

Do you [anyone] think the general population would look at it negatively? Law enforcement?
    Of course they still have the RIGHT to bear arms however, homelessness is often caused by things like severe drug addiction or inability to hold down a job due to metal illness which would disqualify them. In addition, I have a feeling most would prefer have $500 of food or clothing rather than a Glock.

There have been needless attacks by thugs on homeless people. Those homeless could have used a gun. On the whole though I'm not sure how good an idea it is for homeless to have guns. Though all homeless are not bad people, some with mental problems or drug/alcohol problems could end up using those guns improperly. Touchy situation.

Nothing in the Second Amendment says anything about having a place to live. When our founders proclaimed their rights, some of the people of the new land didn't even live in a house, because they lived off the land.
    Your rights don't end when you get evicted for failure to pay rent or house payment. IMO
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Of course they still have the RIGHT to bear arms however, homelessness is often caused by things like severe drug addiction or inability to hold down a job due to metal illness which would disqualify them. In addition, I have a feeling most would prefer have $500 of food or clothing rather than a Glock.
    I used to drive the donations collections truck for the Huntsville Salvation Army, and still volunteer there during disaster relief, or drive/man the food trucks that go out to other areas affected by disasters. The Thrift Store and church are within walking distance of the homeless encampment that has been under a cloverleaf of a major highway and interstate junction for many years. They could get food and clothes for free if they wanted them, and while some do, most don't. Never really understood it, but after seven or eight years of being associated with the SA, I can say that's the way it is.

You're definitely right; on any given night at the SA shelter, everyone staying there could be a mixture of addicts and/or severely mentally ill folks. While the people who cycle through the SA's rehab program(s) represent a fraction of the overall homeless community here, they are typical. On particularly cold nights we take the food truck down to the camp, set up heated tents and serve hot chocolate and coffee, so we interact with all of them even though most don't choose to stay in the shelter, enter a program, or go to the Thrift Store for clothes or the church for food.

To address Chen's question, I've got to equivocate a bit. It's not really a matter of "allowing" homeless folks to carry or not here. They are as poor as any group on the planet, and thus couldn't afford even the $15 or $20 bucks that it takes to get a permit, much less afford to buy a weapon. I have heard of some coming to the shelter or entering a program and having a knife or hammer or other type of weapon confiscated from them, but I've never heard of anyone coming to the SA with a gun. Obviously, all are searched for drugs, alcohol and weapons.

On the other hand, I can't think of a story off the top of my head where a homeless person was arrested for committing a violent crime. The folks I've dealt with over the last seven or eight years have all been non-violent, even if they were belligerent, annoying or otherwise difficult to deal with.

So I guess my answer would be that I would treat them just like any other citizen - on a case-by-case basis. I don't believe homelessness itself should be an automatic disqualification for carrying a weapon, but in my experience, it would be the circumstance of homelessness itself that kept the few who might want to carry from being able to afford to carry. I will never answer the question in a way that denies any citizen his/her rights under the Constitution without due process, so I'll say yeah, homeless folks should be allowed the same rights or privileges or permissions as anyone else until such time as a legal process identifies them as ineligible. I just don't think that there's going to be very many instances across the country where it's a civil rights issue. In the overwhelming majority of cases, I believe it is going to be a medical issue, so I wouldn't advocate for any special laws to cover homeless people only.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

There is a large part of the general population who looks at it negatively that I own/carry a gun - and I've lived in the same house 15 years now.

I agree with others who said that homelessness alone would not end anyone's rights, but the reason for them being homeless might (mental illness). Homeless doesn't necessarily mean living under a bridge - it can mean living in your car, renting various campsites, or crashing on a series of friends' couches.
    Aubrey

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast