Transporting Firearms Across State Lines Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting Firearms Across State Lines Question

1. Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    wrong, as long as he is passing through from a place where he was legal to possess the weapons and is going directly to a place where he can legally possess them he is bound to follow the FOPA laws.
    YMMV
    The bold part is equally wrong. The OP is not BOUND to follow FOPA, as in required to. FOPA is an OPTION, not a requirement for interstate transportation of firearms. The OP can either follow each state's law as he travels through that state (which many times are much more relaxed than FOPA - some even allowing for loaded carry in the vehicle and loaded open carry) - OR - if the OP chooses to, he can follow FOPA which will make him legal in all the states he travels through.

And, since nobody has bothered to post what FOPA actually states, here is the actual law:
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

doc1059 the dehumidifier for a safe, the one I use is a 'Golden Rod', works great, but to answer your transportation question, see below.

Travelers Guide to the Firearm laws of the Fifty
    States“ at Gunlaws for the 50 States A real must have guide when on the road.

INTERSTATE TRANSPORT of FIREARMS info:

NOTE: The Federal McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986: In a nutshell, (as I read it, not verbatim). This federal act will protect you from criminally friendly, ‘constitutionally dysfunctional‘ states, (12+ of them, Ca. Ma. Ill. NY. NJ. etc.) in this way: Individuals transporting a gun(s) through certain states that would otherwise view such transport as ‘illegal’, may do so under this law if the weapons are unloaded, cased and stowed in a trunk or locked vehicle compartment which is not readily accessible to the occupants. Any ammunition must also be kept separate and be locked away from the occupants and thefirearms.

Mark’s Note: (This ‘act‘ I believe, is to ensure the safety of any criminal(s) intent on a felony assault of you and your loved ones in these 12 ’constitutionally dysfunctional’ states) also (I suggest buying the ammo when you get to where your going, as there may not be enough ‘compartments’ in your vehicle to be in compliance.) This ‘act‘ is a reflection of our so-called Representative’s looking out for our safety…….?! Sure……

‘ACT‘ continued; The law abiding traveler(s) must simply be passing through the ‘constitutionally dysfunctional‘ state(s) and must be bound for a jurisdiction where the possession of such weapons are not considered a threat or illegal by any ‘constitutionally respectful’ state(s). As long as the traveler(s) maintain a steady uninterrupted course through the ‘constitutionally dysfunctional‘ state(s) with the ‘offending’ weapons/ammo stowed in the manner described above, they will be protected from a felony assault on their inalienable rights from the ‘constitutionally dysfunctional‘ state(s) that they might travel through. Prime example; New Jersy-

Mark’s NOTE: If you can, you should boycott any state that boycotts our God given/Constitutional right to self defense and tell their Chamber of Commerce why we will not be spending our hard earned cash there. Go to ‘Links’ under ‘Reviews’ at top of page to find all the states Chamber of Commerce contact info. MS

NOTE: Please look on my ‘States‘ tab to see list of ‘constitutionally dysfunctional‘ states where the {so-called** ‘Representatives’ must consider our Constitution a road block to their ‘progressive’ agenda of rewriting history and tearing down America. Let us sweep out all the ‘constitutionally dysfunctional‘ trash, (incumbents) at the voting booth!

“ A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government” -GEORGE WASHINGTON-

Gun Sense #21, Shooting not Mandated? Why I do not have you shoot

{Remember; Firearm Education Will Save Lives, Firearm Ignorance Can Take Lives** Ignorance of History could cost us our Freedoms.

Sincerely, Mark Shean mafirearmsafety.com KB1WSV

Get Travelers Guide to the Firearm laws of the Fifty
    States“ at Gunlaws for the 50 States

4. Quote Originally Posted by mshean View Post
    "Any ammunition must also be kept separate and be locked away from the occupants and the firearms."
    There is no requirement in the Federal law to lock the ammunition in a location separate from the firearms. Unloaded firearms and ammunition locked in the same trunk, or in the same case in a vehicle without an exterior compartment fully satisfies the requirements of the Federal law.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12