Transporting Firearms Across State Lines Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Firearms Across State Lines Question

1. Transporting Firearms Across State Lines Question

I am active duty military and soon will be transferring from North Carolina to Florida on military orders. In the past the moving company has transported my firearms along with my household goods, but I have learned that many firearms have come up missing with the particular moving companies used in this area.

I have approximately 10 hunting rifles and shotguns and 1 Beretta handgun to transport. I currently do not have a concealed carry permit. I will also have to transport a ammo can of various rifle and shotgun ammo since the moving companies will not ship ammo. I have talked to various people who suggest having the guns and ammo separated and/or have locks on the firearms. I do have a lockable hard plastic case that I could lock up the handgun. I was thinking of having my wife transport the ammo can and the firearms transported by me in my Ford truck.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the legal requirements in a case like this to avoid any trouble along the way.

3. You need to look up the laws of the state/s you plan to drive through.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGadgets View Post
    You need to look up the laws of the state/s you plan to drive through.
    ^^^This^^^

Here's a place to start: Handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

I've moved halfway across the country & back a couple of times. I always keep my firearms "unloaded" & "cased" and transport them in the rear most compartment of my vehicle. (Trunk of my car or behind the most rear seat in a truck, MV or SUV)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Firearm Owners Protection Act

The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Pub.L. 99–308, 100 Stat. 449, enacted May 19, 1986, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[7]

Under this provision, someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that the individual did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

See 18 USC § 926A 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Pub.L. 99–308, 100 Stat. 449, enacted May 19, 1986, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921
    Thanks Treo; that was going to be my next link.

The op shouldn't have any problems driving or even stopping overnight on his move from NC to FL. He just needs to be thankful he doesn't have to move to Kommiefornia or some other liberal hellhole. (At least he get's to still live in a gun friendly state.)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    (At least he get's to still live in a gun friendly state.) [/I]

-
    Florida is legally a gun friendly state but that humidity is any thing but. OP make sure you keep your fireams well protected with oil and if you don't have a dehumidifier in your gun safe get one.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGadgets View Post
    You need to look up the laws of the state/s you plan to drive through.
    wrong, as long as he is passing through from a place where he was legal to possess the weapons and is going directly to a place where he can legally possess them he is bound to follow the FOPA laws.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    wrong, as long as he is passing through from a place where he was legal to possess the weapons and is going directly to a place where he can legally possess them he is bound to follow the FOPA laws.
    YMMV
    The key phrase is "passing through". He should be find traveling in the gun friendly states in the south. But, despite FOPA, "stopping" in a liberal gun hating state for anything can get you arrested. Sure, it most likely won't stick. But, it can ruin your day and cost you money before it's over. (I dare say; even some of the AG places in NC don't care about FOPA or NC state law.)

-

The general rule that I follow is. Your weapons should be transported in a locked case. Rifles should have the bolt removed and shot guns should the action open. Hand guns should be unloaded and I personally remove the magazine and the magazines do not have bullets in them. If you have any ammo; the ammo should be locked up and place away from the weapons. The key words that are use is that the weapons and ammo should not be readily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by leadsender View Post
    The general rule that I follow is. Your weapons should be transported in a locked case. Rifles should have the bolt removed and shot guns should the action open. Hand guns should be unloaded and I personally remove the magazine and the magazines do not have bullets in them. If you have any ammo; the ammo should be locked up and place away from the weapons. The key words that are use is that the weapons and ammo should not be readily accessible.
    that's all fine and dandy, however a better rule of thumb is to read, learn and understand the fopa law and follow it to a "T"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast