Question of the Day: Do The Cops Know You’re A Gun Owner? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question of the Day: Do The Cops Know You’re A Gun Owner?

I was buying a gun today and asked the guy specifically about this. He said it depends on the state. Some states (un-Constitutionally) record all transactions on firearms by gun serial number or have you register them after purchase. In VA specifically, the 4473 is submitted to LE, but does not state model or serial #. The other form with the model and serial is retained by the seller for 20 yrs and can be "back-checked" but would not be available to a dispatcher.

3. This must be something unique with Kittitas County. I live in Centralia (Lewis County) and to the best of my knowledge, guns are not registered. If you have a Concealed Pistol License, it is linked to your license plate . If an officer radios your tag in, the dispatcher will know that someone in the vehicle may have a weapon. I was informed that Washington state does not have gun registration, and what you have in your home is nobody's business but your own.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

I am a South Carolina resident, but as military got a resident CCL from Virginia. They know nothing about my license plate (SC), and my drivers license is from Tennessee and has been expired since 2001. (don't need to renew because military). Bought most of my guns in VA, so they're probably confused as hell.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    Some States you have to get permission to buy a weapon. And some the same plus register that weapon also. In Texas and Arkansas you don't have to do either.
    For clarification I was wondering how it is in other states around the country and if the police know about your guns.
    Don't have to do either here in Kentucky.

6. Some do some dont, it depends on your jurisdiction and the amount of funds they have. I live just outside of Pittsburgh Pa, and I listen to my local police on a scanner and they are aware upon calling in your plate or seeing your drivers liscense. Some police forces, state, county have cameras that read your plate while behind you, and this is automatically sent to the in car computer and then the DMV. This allows the police advanced warning of felons, or fugitives. The local rural forces are generally still relying on information called in. So yes the police know for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by crapgame View Post
    Some do some dont, it depends on your jurisdiction and the amount of funds they have. I live just outside of Pittsburgh Pa, and I listen to my local police on a scanner and they are aware upon calling in your plate or seeing your drivers liscense. Some police forces, state, county have cameras that read your plate while behind you, and this is automatically sent to the in car computer and then the DMV. This allows the police advanced warning of felons, or fugitives. The local rural forces are generally still relying on information called in. So yes the police know for the most part.
    Your first post! Welcome to the forum.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I was buying a gun today and asked the guy specifically about this. He said it depends on the state. Some states (un-Constitutionally) record all transactions on firearms by gun serial number or have you register them after purchase. .
    in some states like NY and NJ you need to get permission from the cops to even buy a gun, in NJ you can only get a permission slip for 1 gun a month. in some NY counties it can takes many months before the cops will grant you permission to buy a handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    This. People that get in trouble with the law which causes the police find out the person has firearms, they may make note of it for their safety.
    For the safety of all responding agencies, police, fire, and EMS, a call history for the address comes up in the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) and can be relayed to the responding agency if appropriate. Everything from nuisance calls to serious threats.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by piesyor View Post
    I found out, after the fact, that in our county (Maricopa, AZ) if you purchase more than one gun at a time the FFL dealer where you purchase is required to advise the county sheriff of the transaction & information on you & the weapons.
    First off, it is a Federal Law that covers multiple purchases. We have to report it to the Chief LEO of the area and BATFE if a purchaser buys two or more handguns within 5 business days from the same FFL. 3 copies are made. 1 to CLEO, 1 to BATFE, 1 for store. BATFE copy can be faxed to the National Tracing Center instead of mailed. Must be done on the same day as the second or more handguns are transferred if within the 5 business day window. This is the form: https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...f-f-3310-4.pdf
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I was buying a gun today and asked the guy specifically about this. He said it depends on the state. Some states (un-Constitutionally) record all transactions on firearms by gun serial number or have you register them after purchase. In VA specifically, the 4473 is submitted to LE, but does not state model or serial #. The other form with the model and serial is retained by the seller for 20 yrs and can be "back-checked" but would not be available to a dispatcher.
    If they are getting the Form 4473, then it does have the serial numbers on it. That info is on page 3 and must be completed before the form is signed and dated by the FFL. It is not a Form 4473 unless it is complete. Now VA can say that the FFL has to submit the first two pages to them but it is not a completed Form 4473 without the third page. Part of the NICS background check is on page 3 also. And as per my reply above, buy 2 or more handguns or receivers in 5 business days from the same FFL and the CLEO and BATFE have the model and serial numbers of the items transferred.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast