Question of the Day: Do The Cops Know You’re A Gun Owner?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question of the Day: Do The Cops Know You’re A Gun Owner?

Bill Frady | May 28, 2013
    “The other day I was listening to Kittitas County [WA] Dispatch send a Deputy to a reported domestic violence call,” a TTAG reader writes. “As part of the call the Deputy was told that the male had several handguns registered to him. They gave specific make & model of the guns. My question is how do the Dispatchers know? I can understand that if the person has a Concealed Pistol License that this info would be available. But I’m very concerned about where they got the specific gun ownership information. I asked a Deputy ‘friend’ and he didn’t answer me, he got very evasive and changed the subject.” The Federal Firearms Owners’ Protection Act (FOPA) outlaws gun registries. But what are the odds that the local, state and/or federal po-po already know exactly how you roll firearms-wise?
    What's your take on this?
    Does your state, city or county know you have guns in your home?

http://lockandloadradio.com/question...e-a-gun-owner/
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

NYS hasn't linked the DMV with permits so when getting pulled-over, LEO don't have any way to know. There is no duty to inform them either. If executing a warrant they may have obtained the info before coming. The local PD knows about me only because I sponsored many of them at my local club. I give the department range time as well.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

4. I know in Oklahoma they the cops know by running your drivers license, if you are a CCW permit holder.

Also, if the male had been in trouble with the law before, they may have had the information about him and what weapons he owned.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

most times when a domestic disturbance is called in, the caller is asked if they know if any guns are on the premises or present during the disturbance....if yes, they then ask if the models and calibers are known...

I have listened to traffic stops and heard dispatchers advising the officer/s on scene that the person registered with the vehicle being stoped is known to have/carry guns, or has a permit...

Some States you have to get permission to buy a weapon. And some the same plus register that weapon also. In Texas and Arkansas you don't have to do either.
    For clarification I was wondering how it is in other states around the country and if the police know about your guns.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

As far as I know, the only record of the firearms I have purchased (other than the NICS check) is the store reciept that the store is required to keep for a certain ammount of time. (VA/SC)

In Vermont there is nothing but the 4473 filled out and a sales receipt. No permit system for OC/CC so I don't think that LE would know what I own without a BATF sponsored trip to the several gun stores to "check" records of sale.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I'm fairly certain Washington doesn't have firearms registration which makes this entire story suspect to me.

I know Colorado law specifically forbids the (state) government from keeping firearms owner databases or registering guns. Registration is also forbidden on the Federal level so in my case they wouldn't know
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Unless the caller/complainant is giving the specific firearm info over the phone, a dispatcher wouldn't be able to just "bring up" the info on a computer.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast