Arkansas Gun Laws

Thread: Arkansas Gun Laws

Arkansas Gun Laws

Arkansas Gun Laws

The way this reads If you have a CHCL it covers "weapons" handgun, knife or club.
    Question: Does the CHCL make it legal to carry these weapons?

• A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.
    • As used in this section:
      1. "Club" means any instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious physical injury or death by striking, including a blackjack, billie, and sap;
      2. "Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12'') that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand; and

• "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing.
        • "Knife" includes a dirk, sword or spear in a cane, razor, ice pick, throwing star, switchblade, and butterfly knife.

• It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that at the time of the act of carrying a weapon:
      1. The person is in his or her own dwelling, place of business, or on property in which he or she has a possessory or proprietary interest;
      2. The person is a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces acting in the course and scope of his or her official duties;
      3. The person is assisting a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces acting in the course and scope of his or her official duties pursuant to the direction or request of the law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces;
      4. The person is carrying a weapon when upon a journey, unless the journey is through a commercial airport when presenting at the security checkpoint in the airport or is in the person's checked baggage and is not a lawfully declared weapon;
      5. The person is a licensed security guard acting in the course and scope of his or her duties;
      6. The person is hunting game with a handgun that may be hunted with a handgun under rules and regulations of the Arkansas State Game and Fish Commission or is en route to or from a hunting area for the purpose of hunting game with a handgun;
      7. The person is a certified law enforcement officer; or
      8. The person is in a motor vehicle and the person has a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to 5-73-301 et seq.

1. Any person who carries a weapon into an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of not more than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or imprisonment for not more than one (1) year, or both.
      2. Otherwise, carrying a weapon is a Class A misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Acts 1975, No. 696, 1; 1981, No. 813, 1; A.S.A. 1947, 41-3151; Acts 1987, No. 266, 1; 1987, No. 556, 1; 1987, No. 734, 1; 1995, No. 832, 1; 2003, No. 1267, 2; 2005, No. 1994, 293.
    Arkansas Gun Laws - American Gun Owners Alliance
    Quick Link:
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

My take on this is you would have to go to the actual laws enabling CCHL carry. It is my guess they specifically are related to firearms or handguns in the law. If I remember correctly, that is how Kansas law is worded. If the CCHL law does not specify "firearms" then it would appear, maybe these other weapons would be legal under CCHL. I would think it would be advisable to get a clarification by the AG, State Police or Sheriff (depending upon who is the authority in your state). Just my 2 cents worth.
    Dave "The said Constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dgifted View Post
    My take on this is you would have to go to the actual laws enabling CCHL carry. It is my guess they specifically are related to firearms or handguns in the law. If I remember correctly, that is how Kansas law is worded. If the CCHL law does not specify "firearms" then it would appear, maybe these other weapons would be legal under CCHL. I would think it would be advisable to get a clarification by the AG, State Police or Sheriff (depending upon who is the authority in your state). Just my 2 cents worth.

• A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.

After that it lumps them all together under "weapon". It appears to me they are one and the same under this law.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

And now there's this Arkansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Act 746 that changes the whole game and becomes law July 2013.

~SNIP~
    The first thing the Act did was define “journey,” which now, according to the new Act, is defined as traveling “beyond the county in which the person lives.” Arkansas law allows residents to carry a firearm unobstructed, without a license, provided the resident is on a “journey.” Previously, residents could interpret this as a right to carry, concealed or openly, with the thinking that they were always on a “journey.” The term was vague and open to exploitation. The new Act brings legal clarity to what is considered a journey in the state.
    The second thing the act did was to more clearly define intent in relation to carrying a weapon. As the law formerly read, it was considered an offense to carry a handgun with the purpose of using it against another person, which could be read to include those carrying a handgun for self-defense. Act 746 specifically defined that it would be such an offense only if the handgun was carried “with the purposeto attempt to unlawfully employ the weapon against another person.” Self-defense was made an exception since defending oneself is not unlawful in the state of Arkansas.
    ~SNIP~
    Will Arkansas be the fifth state to enact ?Constitutional Carry?? | Alternative

7. Thumbs down

It looks like a knife with a blade 3" or longer will come under LE scrutiny, even with a CHCL. This is disappointing given there was no limitation on blade length for sometime before. This leaves knives used for self defense very limited as a last resort weapon. Not happy about this. Not happy at all. Who is responsible for adding this? Judiciary? Legislative? ASP?

For the record, I don't interpret the Act as Constitutional Carry, just my opinion, everybody has one. I'm sure this issue will be tested in court and provide legal precedent at a later date, if someone is brave enough to carry the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    It looks like a knife with a blade 3" or longer will come under LE scrutiny, even with a CHCL. This is disappointing given there was no limitation on blade length for sometime before. This leaves knives used for self defense very limited as a last resort weapon. Not happy about this. Not happy at all. Who is responsible for adding this? Judiciary? Legislative? ASP?

For the record, I don't interpret the Act as Constitutional Carry, just my opinion, everybody has one. I'm sure this issue will be tested in court and provide legal precedent at a later date, if someone is brave enough to carry the torch.
    As I said before I hope the NRA will fund the legal end of the test case as I'm sure it will happen.
    Hope this is true in the end but with the way things are going in Congress I dare sure wouldn't want to be the guy who tries this in court!