NEW Traffic Stop scenario - really, I promise! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW Traffic Stop scenario - really, I promise!

NavyLCDR,

I choose not to play Attorney ,or make assumptions regarding these issues. Fortunately ,the law is clear in South Carolina and most States as I previously posted, without playing Attorney. If a CWP holder has any question about what the peace Officers intentions are, a simple question to the Peace Officer such as; "am I free to leave" or "am I being placed under arrest" will suffice.
    I understand that you are stating the law as you read it from the State of Washington....Law Dictionary.....you may be better suited to search for the Concealed Carry laws for your State, as I have posted for South Carolina. The State Adjutant General's Office is a good resource. I encourage all to visit the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network...for information and advice from ACTUAL Criminal Defense Attorney's who specialize in this area.
    Be Safe,
    Jim
    Owner, Self Defense CWP

3. Quote Originally Posted by rstews View Post
    The other wandering thought I had is that if a traffic stop is an arrest shouldn't the officer have to read you your rights before asking "Do you know why I stopped you?" or any other questions?
    No. The reason being is that they are not seeking evidence of the infraction. They already have all the evidence they need to issue you the citation, otherwise they would not have stopped you. I think the biggest reason they ask, "Do you know why I stopped you?" is to guage your reaction as a feeler for how the rest of the stop is going to go.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Question #2 is pointless in states like Colorado. Doesn't matter if your permit is expired. We dont need one to conceal a gun in our car, so he would have to give it back.
    Same here in Vermont. No permit to carry either openly or concealed. No way to check either who is "running around" with a gun..... So...

Sent from behind enemy lines.

5. I don't agree with requiring to tell that you have a permit, tell that you have a gun, or the officer taking the gun. If someone is going to use the gun against the officer, there's nothing he can do about it. It'll get used against him before he has the opportunity to take it. What good does it do? Last time the officer asked me to get out and took my gun after showing him my permit, my comment was "So I jump through all the the unconstitutional hoops to do things the legal way and I get treated like a criminal?" After that, I don't carry the gun on me in the car anymore so that I don't have to notify.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12