Securing a weapon when go to hospital not on own
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Securing a weapon when go to hospital not on own

  1. #1

    Securing a weapon when go to hospital not on own

    Without going into details, curious how a DD would be handled by a hospital if you arrived via means other than your own vehicle. Does anyone know how hospitals handle a firearm if you say arrive by ambulance and no family member is present to secure your weapon?

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
    Without going into details, curious how a DD would be handled by a hospital if you arrived via means other than your own vehicle. Does anyone know how hospitals handle a firearm if you say arrive by ambulance and no family member is present to secure your weapon?
    In many states an ambulance cannot transport you with a firearm. They will secure the weapon by turning it over to LE provided they can do so without jeopardizing the patient's life.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    In many states an ambulance cannot transport you with a firearm. They will secure the weapon by turning it over to LE provided they can do so without jeopardizing the patient's life.
    This is what our CPL class taught - the medics are trained to hand it over to LEO on the scene, and you'll have to track it down afterward.
    Aubrey

  5. #4
    Police will take it for safekeeping.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Louisville Ky.
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Police will take it for safekeeping.
    Then you will probably have to go through a hassle to get it back in some jurisdictions.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    Then you will probably have to go through a hassle to get it back in some jurisdictions.
    I don't doubt it for a minute

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Really depends on the circumstance. Where I worked this is how it would go.

    If the medics find a weapon on the person on scene it will go to the police. If the weapon is not a factor in the call (ie car crash) the weapon would go into the hospitals safe along with their personal items (ie wallet, jewelry, etc)

    If a weapon is not found till in the hospital (ie in a back pack) a hospital security guard will take it to the safe.

    If the weapon was a factor, police keep it for investigation purposes.

    Some places don't allow weapons in the hospital...in which case I would assume police hold onto it. I'm not sure because I don't live in a state like that.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. See this is the difference in where we live. I have been to the ER unconscious one time having fallen off a 2 story roof flat on my back. I am ALWAYS armed. In any case I woke in a hospital bed and the first thing I did was check for my gun. The nurse was there and I asked if she knew what they had done with my gun? She replied it is in the drawer next to you're bed. Sure enough unloaded but all there in a clear plastic evidence bag..

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    im not sure i would worry too much because where i go is the sherriffs depts jurisdiction. guaranteed to get it back. :-)

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    Then you will probably have to go through a hassle to get it back in some jurisdictions.
    My doctor called an ambulance when I was at his office. The police showed as well, which is standard in a 911 call. My doctor offered to hang-on to it until my wife arrived but police took possession of it. My wife went to the PD later tat day, signed for it and took it home without incident. It was actually her gun I was carrying. The LEO on duty told her to wish me well. Earlier that day I had picked up cash rents. The LEO took that as well for safe keeping. He told me not to trust the hospital so he would hold it for me.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast