Should your carry gun have a light trigger? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should your carry gun have a light trigger?

Have two mods on my 45, mag well, larger mag release button (small hands)trigger pull breaks at a crisp 3.5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    The trigger on my semi-auto is double action for the first shot. So it is like carrying a revolver. Every shot after that is single action. I like it that way, don't use any safety but still feel safe.

Just nosy I guess but what do you carry cluznar?
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

I have all of mine worked to 4 lbs.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    IMHO, I would not buy a gun if I didn't like it. Both my CC guns are DAO, and I don't care what the trigger pull is if I can hit what I am shooting at. I personally do not like DA/SA for a gun that I might need to shoot in an emergency with adrenalin running high, I prefer consistency of having it be the same every time. If I had to guess, my LC9 and LCP are about 7-8# DAO, but whatever they are it is right out of the box, and I practice with them so I am comfortable with it.
    -
    In answer to the initial question, if my gun had an extremely light trigger pull, I would prefer that it has a good manual safety to help prevent ND.
    I like a block safety, personally. That way when someone says "safeties fail," you rack it, flip the safety on and pull the trigger. You should have seen my wife when I pointed it at my Xbox I was all "madden ********* cheats!" CLICK lmao

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    Just nosy I guess but what do you carry cluznar?
    Yeah dude. Divulge.

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    Rather than rely on advise from Massad Ayoob, you should consult a criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction.
    Who do you think trains many criminal defense attorneys and/or is an expert in the case - Mass is the most knowledgeable person in the country on lethal force encounters.

Another point - it is not what is safe for you or ND issues it is any ammo (excuse the pun) they can have against you in court. I used to teach with a former police chief and he said stay away from the trigger mod on any carry gun - my comp gun came from Canyon Creek and is 2.5 trigger and a few other things - would never carry it for SD - my SD gun is stock everything except for a fiber front sight (old eyes can get away with that) and grip tape on the gun. Don't think in a lethal encounter the "rush" will care if the pull is 2 or 6 pounds.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by gunshrink View Post
    Who do you think trains many criminal defense attorneys and/or is an expert in the case - Mass is the most knowledgeable person in the country on lethal force encounters.

Another point - it is not what is safe for you or ND issues it is any ammo (excuse the pun) they can have against you in court. I used to teach with a former police chief and he said stay away from the trigger mod on any carry gun - my comp gun came from Canyon Creek and is 2.5 trigger and a few other things - would never carry it for SD - my SD gun is stock everything except for a fiber front sight (old eyes can get away with that) and grip tape on the gun. Don't think in a lethal encounter the "rush" will care if the pull is 2 or 6 pounds.
    Nothing against you personally, I just see this a lot. Semantics more so than anything.

So you don't advise a modded trigger, but you put on "enhanced killing sights" and "sticky grips in case you get blood all over your hands." You are probably like me, and use those "human killing jhp rounds". JHP, Ayoob has written about in many of his cases, and yet people still use them. A ******** prosecutor will use it all, but it doesn't really matter if we aren't there when we are dead because we chose to give ourselves a disadvantage.

A mod is a mod. Why is fiber sights for better accuracy any more important than a correct trigger pull for accuracy?

A lighter trigger as the OP asked for, will only fit some people. Others, may have used a 6# trigger they entire lives, so a heavier trigger could be better for them from stock.

I guess we draw the line in our own sandbox differently. I just can't understand those that will mod their firearm with enhanced sights, threaded barrels, lights/lasers, extended magazines, extra stippling (?) and serrations, etc, all for better handling and accuracy, and then stop at trigger pulls.

I mean if the 3 big factors of accuracy are, grip, trigger pull, and sights. Why are we okay with modding grip and sights, when trigger pull is equally a important?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by aoakleyc View Post
    NO, lawyers will eat your lunch in court. Your carry gun should have NO mods from factory,otherwise you look like a crazed maniac planning on a kill to the masses(read jury).
    That's your opinion. There have been cases were civil attorneys have played this card and won, and there are several where they have played this card and gotten it shoved right back down their throat where it belongs. If a lighter trigger makes you more accurate (it does) and you know how to responsibly control it, no problem. My EDC and my duty weapon is a Glock 23 with a Ghost disconnector and polish job with about a 3.6lb trigger. My BUG is a S&W MP 340 with a spring kit and polish job that reduced it from a 13 to a 9 lb trigger. Never had any problems, and neither my company or their attorneys have a problem with me carrying my modded guns or duty.

Person choice...

If you are justified in killing a man, it matters not....I stand by my statement and will defend it in court if I need too if I have to use my weapon...

You make your choices; I'll make mine...I'm not going to accept web advice.

As attorney will tell you a man who serves as his own attorney, has a fool for a client. I take web advice on a legal matter the same way.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Folks, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but...You stop the threat! If that person should die ...etc...etc. Those blood suckers will get ever thing you post and use it against you.
    Just a friendly reminder brothers.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast