Sheepdog Training Tour ~Featuring Lt. Col. David Grossman~ - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Sheepdog Training Tour ~Featuring Lt. Col. David Grossman~

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    West Point........
    Yeah, whatever. Still weak as all get-out to post a 12-year-old argument that some cop was having with cherry-picked excerpts of speeches and presentations by Grossman that the cop just disagreed with, and extrapolate from that weak way of "debating" that Grossman is established as a discredited writer, instructor, whatever. You are WAY more discredited with that one post than that whole link discredited Grossman. You've completely lost it, Treo.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,414
    Here's my thoughts on sheepdogs:

    One, I never heard of Col. Grossman in relation to being a sheepdog before landing in a thread here more than a year ago. I had a loose idea of what the term meant from listening to about 1/4 or a 1/3 of a nutnfancy video on the "Sheepdog Concept" when it was first released. I'm not a nutnfancy groupie, but hey, I collect knives and he does good knife reviews, so I subscribed to his channel in '08 when I saw one of his first knife reviews. But I digress....

    Maybe I didn't look into it deeply enough to really know what either Grossman or nutnfancy think a sheepdog is, but what I get from the "concept" is that a sheepdog is just a person who is of a spirit to help those who can't help themselves. Itisn't about any obligation to protect anyone, and it isn't limited only to gun-play or even getting between people in a fight or whatever. It means (to me) that you're prepared to help when you can, period. I related it in '09 when I first heard it to having gone to Biloxi, MS after Katrina in '05 for two weeks to help those who had been displaced, injured, had homes destroyed, what have you. I relate it to keeping a couple of blankets and first aid gear in my Jeep in case I come upon an accident where someone needs help before EMS gets there. I have consistently volunteered at the Salvation Army after working there for a few months several years ago. I have no obligation to drive and man their food trucks, but if I can, I believe it's a good thing to do.

    The black-and-white view that anyone who considers themselves a sheepdog just wants to get in a gunfight, or is a wannabe cop, or whatever the insulting euphemism of the week is, is just brainless, knee-jerk reactions that have no bearing at all to anything I've ever perceived about nutnfancy, or anyone around here who doesn't have that jaded view of the concept, and certainly nothing like what I'm about.

    This has been explained for some people around here before, but they are entrenched in their holier-than-thou misperceptions and can seemingly never let go of their old biases, grudges, maybe even hatred of people who see things differently than themselves. It is quite unbecoming though, to say the least.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Yeah, whatever.
    No, it is a very important distiction at least to those who have attended either school or who watch the Army /Navy game every year (of course around here it's more the Army / Air Force game)
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    The biggest problem I have with Mr. Grossman’s theories (remember this guy has never served in a line unit, never served in combat and never even heard much less fired “a shot in anger”) is not so much the theories themselves but the way I’ve seen so many people twist them to fulfill some kind of Bushi-Do fantasy.

    I have a coworker that is an absolute devotee of both nutnfancy and Mr. Grossman and every time I see this guy he goes into a rant about how if you are a gun owner and you’re not a member of the NRA (I am) you’re a blood sucking leech who is letting them do your fighting for you and if you don’t have a concealed handgun permit or if you do have a concealed hand gun permit and you ever leave your home un armed (I don't) you are a stench in the nostrils of honest men because “you aren’t willing or prepared to fulfill your civic duty as a sheep dog” (direct quote BTW). Of course we’ve all seen similar discourses on various gun forums.

    I am not a psychologist but the impression I get from most (by no means all) of the Grossman followers is that they don’t have a lot of self worth to begin with and then Grossman comes along with his “sheep dog” ethos and gives them something outside themselves to attach what self worth they do have to. Suddenly they’re not nobodies, they’re Sheep Dogs, the defenders of the flock; they have a mission in life to protect the poor defenseless sheep. And the build up this superhero fantasy in their minds and in my mind that’s dangerous.

    I’ve seen too many real people, in the real world take that "sheep dog" mind set and use it give themselves a reason to interject themselves into situations that they have no business being in. To be clear when I say that I’m not talking about taking on a robber at 7-11 I’m talking about stupid stuff like “patrolling” the neighborhood on the fourth of July in a security guard uniform telling people you’re a cop and that they’d better not shoot off any fireworks or “patrolling” a neighborhood at night, armed looking for “miscreants” (ask George Zimmerman how that worked out for him) or (and this one isn’t a real life experience I read it here) entering a neighbor’s property to question someone sitting in their car minding their own business in the neighbor’s driveway. It’s been my observation that sooner or later these folks’ Walter Mitty fantasies get them into water over their head. It's also been my observation that the folks that get the maddest when I say this stuff are the ones that most need to hear it

    That’s why I get nervous whenever the sheep dog topic comes up.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    I petition we turn this into a Nutnfancy hate thread, takers?


    LMAO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I petition we turn this into a Nutnfancy hate thread, takers?


    LMAO!!!
    If you build it they will come.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I petition we turn this into a Nutnfancy hate thread, takers?


    LMAO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If you build it they will come.
    And you would know that better than any other member of this forum, because you're the biggest "comer" on this topic anywhere on the web that I've ever seen. You don't say "Baah baah," you don't growl like a wolf, and you make no sounds like a sheepdog, you just slurp like Pavlov's dog every time the words "sheepdog, Grossman or nutnfancy" are mentioned. It's obsessive with you.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    And you would know that better than any other member of this forum, because you're the biggest "comer" on this topic anywhere on the web that I've ever seen. You don't say "Baah baah," you don't growl like a wolf, and you make no sounds like a sheepdog, you just slurp like Pavlov's dog every time the words "sheepdog, Grossman or nutnfancy" are mentioned. It's obsessive with you.
    What I'm hearing you say is Since I can't refute the argument I think I'll attack the arguer
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What I'm hearing you say is Since I can't refute the argument I think I'll attack the arguer
    Right, like I didn't already decimate your "argument." You have yet to acknowledge how meaningless your first link was, and now I'm supposed to "refute" the "argument" of an anecdotal story about a co-worker whose words, attitudes and "devotion" to Grossman and nutnfancy we have to take your word for? Fuhgedabouditt. Like I said already, your first post did more to discredit your ability to think clearly on the topic than anything Grossman or nutnfancy has ever said.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Here's my thoughts on sheepdogs:

    One, I never heard of Col. Grossman in relation to being a sheepdog before landing in a thread here more than a year ago. I had a loose idea of what the term meant from listening to about 1/4 or a 1/3 of a nutnfancy video on the "Sheepdog Concept" when it was first released. I'm not a nutnfancy groupie, but hey, I collect knives and he does good knife reviews, so I subscribed to his channel in '08 when I saw one of his first knife reviews. But I digress....

    Maybe I didn't look into it deeply enough to really know what either Grossman or nutnfancy think a sheepdog is, but what I get from the "concept" is that a sheepdog is just a person who is of a spirit to help those who can't help themselves. Itisn't about any obligation to protect anyone, and it isn't limited only to gun-play or even getting between people in a fight or whatever. It means (to me) that you're prepared to help when you can, period. I related it in '09 when I first heard it to having gone to Biloxi, MS after Katrina in '05 for two weeks to help those who had been displaced, injured, had homes destroyed, what have you. I relate it to keeping a couple of blankets and first aid gear in my Jeep in case I come upon an accident where someone needs help before EMS gets there. I have consistently volunteered at the Salvation Army after working there for a few months several years ago. I have no obligation to drive and man their food trucks, but if I can, I believe it's a good thing to do.

    The black-and-white view that anyone who considers themselves a sheepdog just wants to get in a gunfight, or is a wannabe cop, or whatever the insulting euphemism of the week is, is just brainless, knee-jerk reactions that have no bearing at all to anything I've ever perceived about nutnfancy, or anyone around here who doesn't have that jaded view of the concept, and certainly nothing like what I'm about.

    This has been explained for some people around here before, but they are entrenched in their holier-than-thou misperceptions and can seemingly never let go of their old biases, grudges, maybe even hatred of people who see things differently than themselves. It is quite unbecoming though, to say the least.

    Blues
    Thank you for your thoughts, a clean and concise interpretation of what I have always referred to as "doing what is right". Not always a popular stand but to me fulfilling. A premise that has severed me well through my life and gives me no cause to doubt what I have done through out my life.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast