SAFES? Buying a new rifle safe. Advice wanted. #gunsafe #riflesafes #guns - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAFES? Buying a new rifle safe. Advice wanted. #gunsafe #riflesafes #guns

PaidTriot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    Liberty and Cannon offer the best warranties. Both offer lifetime replacement or repairs if the safes are damaged in an attempt to break into them. Why would you want a small safe? No one can ever own enough fire arms. Besides larger safes, that weigh at least a thousand pounds and are bolted to the floor, are much more difficult to steal.
    Room for a safe is a major concern for me. I also live in the anti Constitutional state of NY, so rifles are an issue when purchasing now.

Sorry ; I look at most things from the perspective of a farmer living in Iowa. I have a difficult time relating.

It looks like brownings smaller offerings are around 16 guns (bronze 16)...I looked at getting a smaller safe, but ended up waiting 1.5 years and saving to get a bigger one than I needed. I talked with my uncle who has several safes and he really recommended buying one much larger than you need. I thought he might have been off at first, but you fill them up fast. He also told me to get a safe at least 1400lbs or larger...smaller ones get carried off all the time. I'm not 100% on the second statement, but I've moved my 1300lb safe with marginal help (so i packed some lead in the bottom).

What I would think about is how much extra protection you will be getting out of a small safe vs. a locker. Try moving one of the safes at costco or the depot. those lighter safes move pretty easily. I thought i'd be okay with a 600lb cannon when i started looking, but I am sooooo much happier I waited for a big browning instead. Any thief with a truck and a dolly will just carry off your small safe

The alternative is you can find a safe dealer that allows you to trade up at no loss...ie you buy a 700$ safe...and in 3 years you trade up to a 2K safe, but only pay the difference. I don't know if you have anyone like that near you, but i found two like that near me.

My advice would be to buy larger, and heavier...good luck

PaidTriot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gsim View Post
    It looks like brownings smaller offerings are around 16 guns (bronze 16)...I looked at getting a smaller safe, but ended up waiting 1.5 years and saving to get a bigger one than I needed. I talked with my uncle who has several safes and he really recommended buying one much larger than you need. I thought he might have been off at first, but you fill them up fast. He also told me to get a safe at least 1400lbs or larger...smaller ones get carried off all the time. I'm not 100% on the second statement, but I've moved my 1300lb safe with marginal help (so i packed some lead in the bottom).

What I would think about is how much extra protection you will be getting out of a small safe vs. a locker. Try moving one of the safes at costco or the depot. those lighter safes move pretty easily. I thought i'd be okay with a 600lb cannon when i started looking, but I am sooooo much happier I waited for a big browning instead. Any thief with a truck and a dolly will just carry off your small safe

The alternative is you can find a safe dealer that allows you to trade up at no loss...ie you buy a 700$ safe...and in 3 years you trade up to a 2K safe, but only pay the difference. I don't know if you have anyone like that near you, but i found two like that near me.

My advice would be to buy larger, and heavier...good luck
    Thanks. Very logical. I may just wait then.

I looked at Liberty, Cannon and Winchester safes. I ended up buying one from Costco. It is First Alert and weighs in at about 500 lbs. While not as robust as some of the others it is still very secure. It cost less than 1/3 the price of others I looked at. Price was $529. and yes, that included the electronic lock others wanted an extra $200. for. I put in my 3 long guns and ammo for my handguns. Handguns stay by me or on me :) We are empty nesters.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Txjeff3243 View Post
    Look at Liberty safes. The best in the industry in my opinion.
    Yup.Just bought a Liberty Lincoln in March. They're real nice. 14 bolts at 1.25" each. Extra ball-bearing hard plate protects against lock drilling.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Yup.Just bought a Liberty Lincoln in March. They're real nice. 14 bolts at 1.25" each. Extra ball-bearing hard plate protects against lock drilling.
    Excellent choice! I have the same one!

PaidTriot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    WHICH ONE?

-Liberty Lincoln 50 (90 Min Fire Rating) - $2695 (D-Drive E-Lock) Your Choice of Color Champaign, White, or Burgundy Marble w/ Black Chrome hardware plus all the standard lincoln accessories

-Liberty Lincoln 35 (90 Min Fire Rating) - $2095 (D-Drive E-Lock) Gray Marble w/ Black Chrome hardware plus all the standard lincoln accessories also available in Manual Lock

Quote Originally Posted by PaidTriot View Post
    WHICH ONE?

-Liberty Lincoln 50 (90 Min Fire Rating) - $2695 (D-Drive E-Lock) Your Choice of Color Champaign, White, or Burgundy Marble w/ Black Chrome hardware plus all the standard lincoln accessories

-Liberty Lincoln 35 (90 Min Fire Rating) - $2095 (D-Drive E-Lock) Gray Marble w/ Black Chrome hardware plus all the standard lincoln accessories also available in Manual Lock
    I bought the model 25 in black with chrome hardware. I like the electronic lock better because it provides for a longer combination and it's faster to open. They're 11 gauge steel and have a fire rating for 1200 degrees for 90 min. Gander Mtn. has it for $1,999.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I've got a brand new still in-box Field & Stream 24 Gun Fire Safe, i know its bigger then what you're looking for..but make me an offer.

You can look at the features on Dicks Sporting Goods website.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast