Refused to sell NC resident rifle in WI - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refused to sell NC resident rifle in WI

1. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    More or less what I was saying. If you're buying a rifle or shotgun (with a shoulder stock) from an out of state FFL you can generally walk out of the store with it.

If you are buying a handgun or pistolgrip-only shotgun from an out of state FFL, it must be transferred to an FFL in your home state. Shotguns without a shoulder stock but with a barrel greater than 18" (non-SBS) are treated the same as pistols for FFL transfer purposes.
    Yes, it sounds like we are on the same page. :-)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Really?!? That's interesting. When did Florida re-enact the contiguous state rule? It used to be Florida Statute 790.28 which was repealed on June 17, 2011. So...what statute was it re-enacted as because I don't see it in current Florida statutes? Your local ATF agent should know, right?

http://laws.flrules.org/files/Ch_2011-145.pdf

If a Florida FFL or a Wisconsin FFL sells a rifle or a shotgun to a resident of Washington state, show us the law which prohibits the sale that is broken. There isn't any law that is broken. If there is no law that is broken, what are they going to charge you with? Your local ATF agent in Maimi-Dade County Florida is working from outdated information.
    WI law says WI residents can only buy in contiguous states. That will also be applied to those buying in WI from out of state. As for Florida, call was made to verify in April as we had a customer who wanted to buy one. I read 790.065 (4) (c.) as you do in that only the state where buying is done applies because of the wording.
    (c) This subsection does not apply to the purchase, trade, or transfer of a rifle or shotgun by a resident of this state when the resident makes such purchase, trade, or transfer from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer in another state.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

4. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    WI law says WI residents can only buy in contiguous states. That will also be applied to those buying in WI from out of state.
    You posted the Wisconsin law yourself, and now you are trying to tell us things that are not in it:
    175.30  Purchase of firearms in contiguous states permitted. It is lawful for a resident of this state or a corporation or other business entity maintaining a place of business in this state to purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle or shotgun in a state contiguous to this state if the transfer complies with federal law and the laws of both states.
    History: 1971 c. 39.

1. Where in that law do you see the word "ONLY"? I don't see it. Yet you falsely claim: WI law says WI residents can only buy in contiguous states. Yet the word "ONLY" appears nowhere in the statute.

2 Then you saw the law also applies to persons from out of state making purchases in WI. Nowhere in that statute is ANYTHING about non-residents from outside of WI purchasing firearms in WI. The statute is completely limited to apply only to WI residents purchasing outside the state, and the law prohibits absolutely NOTHING. It is an old law that was required by the GCA of 1968, which is no longer required due to an amendment in 1986, and the ATF says is now meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    As for Florida, call was made to verify in April as we had a customer who wanted to buy one.
    So, again...I challenge you.... post the law that makes it illegal for a Washington state resident to purchase a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in Florida. Or post the law that makes it illegal for a Florida resident to purchase a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in Washington state.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I read 790.065 (4) (c.) as you do in that only the state where buying is done applies because of the wording.
    The exception that you posted in 790.065(4)(c) makes it possible for an FFL in any other state to sell a rifle or shotgun to a Florida resident because it exempts those sales from the Florida specific paperwork. The word "contiguous" nowhere appears in the statute. There is nothing in Federal law nor Florida law, nor Washington law that prohibits you from selling a Rifle or Shotgun to a Washington state resident.

You can tell us what your local agent says all day long - but they won't be able to show you an actual statute to confirm what they say either. They will just stick with "That's the way it is. That's the rule." just like you are sticking with. But the rule does not exist in writing anywhere because it was repealed from Federal law in 1986 which also made the Florida law useless, which is why the Florida law was repealed in 2011.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Well I went to Gander Mountain Gun World to ask them if I could buy a rifle and they checked and said I can, just not a handgun. I called Fleet Farm up and explained to them that the restriction was only for handguns and they said Gun World is wrong their map of States they can sell to if from the ATF and it says "any firearm". I went to Cabelas and found a Mosin for $30 more and bought it after they confirmed that it was ok to sell me a rifle. I want to call the store mgr up and tell them to get their info right, but it's probably just a waste of time.

6. Good job shopping around, loud_rocker. Glad you found some stores that aren't afraid to follow what the law says and no more restrictions than what is actually in place. We need more people and businesses willing to do just that. The three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws continue to prove themselves to be gun store employees, LEOs and CCW instructors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12