How many times do you chamber a round? - Page 2

View Poll Results: How many times do you chamber a round?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • One

3 7.89%
  • 2-5 times

12 31.58%
  • 6-10 times

5 13.16%
  • 11-20 times

1 2.63%
  • 21+

0 0%
  • Until I shoot it

17 44.74%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you chamber a round?

I don't rack the slide to load the round for carry... I drop it into the chamber and let the slide go forward... prevents the set-back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I don't rack the slide to load the round for carry... I drop it into the chamber and let the slide go forward... prevents the set-back.
    That's what I do also. I have digital calipers, so if any question I just measure the round problem solved. You can get a good set at Harbor Freight or Sears for about $25 or less. All reloaders should have a set if you know any.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I used to do the same thing sometimes. But, I've heard you risk breaking the extractor if you let the slide slam on a chambered round.

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Here's another video--

“Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Ruger says its ok to drop a round in the chamber and let the slide "hit home".
    S&W on the other hand states not to do that with its M&P pistols. Don't why...
    Maybe cause one is exposed hammer (Ruger) and the other is striker fired (S&W)?

Sent from behind enemy lines.

In 1979 I was taught by my first PMI before shooting a 1911 .45 not to do that (drop a round in the chamber and then let go the slide) for exactly the reason described in these videos. It's not the way your pistol was designed to work. I also don't think that's a good way to to try and avoid setback. The bolt and extractor slam into the back of an already chambered round with more energy because none is expended stripping a round off the top of the magazine and chambering it. That really pounds the round in a way that normal feeding and chambering doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I used to do the same thing sometimes. But, I've heard you risk breaking the extractor if you let the slide slam on a chambered round.
    -
    Just don't allow the slide to "slam" on the chambered round. Be gentle, no problem.
    America's Epitaph
    Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, He Gave Them Over To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Just don't allow the slide to "slam" on the chambered round. Be gentle, no problem.
    I don't recommend that procedure either. I have never encountered an instructor anywhere who recommended "riding the slide" gently home as a means of loading and putting a pistol into battery. That's a good way to end up with an ever so slightly out of battery pistol that goes click instead of bang when you need it.

I keep the same round chambered in my 1911A1 SprFld .45. unless I'm cleaning or off to the range. I have done both in dropping the round into the chamber and allowing the slide pick up from the mag and insert. To this date I've never had an issue either way. I think the one currently has been in the pipe for about 3 months now. But by request of my wife we'll be off to the range tomorrow the Fourth of July. Now I'll drop all my SJHP and load ball. Who knows were that round will end up at. I do keep 4 mags loaded with SJHP so I'll pile them all together and reload after the range. Of course I do keep one loaded with SJHP at all times, even at the range. (out door, 67 acres, gotta lov it)
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    I don't recommend that procedure either. I have never encountered an instructor anywhere who recommended "riding the slide" gently home as a means of loading and putting a pistol into battery. That's a good way to end up with an ever so slightly out of battery pistol that goes click instead of bang when you need it.
    I've never needed an instructor (except my father) to teach me anything about guns. After 50 years of being gentle loading and putting a pistol into battery I've not once experienced an ever so slightly out of battery pistol that went click instead of bang. You just have to understand what "gentle" means compared to "slam" and be wise enough to do a safety check. Like I said, no problem.
    America's Epitaph
    Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, He Gave Them Over To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast