Need help about rifle transaction out of NYC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help about rifle transaction out of NYC

1. Need help about rifle transaction out of NYC

Hi all. I need some help. My uncle lives in New York City and wants to give me a few of his rifles being he's getting old. I live in New Jersey have my firearms ID card I just want to make sure of the regs. Any help would be great. It's a person to person transfer between relatives if that matters.

take the rifles from your uncle then you need to unload them, place them into the trunk of your vehicle, drive DIRECTLY to your home,
    bring the weapons into your home.
    NJ has no firearms registration and you are not obliged to report your possession of the rifles.

4. Thanks for the help. What would my uncle have to do? How does he report the disposition of the firearms. He received a letter that due to the new laws he has to sell to an out of state resident or dealer,dispose or relinquish them to the nypd. I just want to be sure my uncle has no problems from this bull. Looks like NYC is looking to start a gun grab

Uncle takes guns to FFL in NYC who transfers them to FFL in NJ and you take possession from the NJ FFL.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Quote Originally Posted by pope414 View Post
    Thanks for the help. What would my uncle have to do? How does he report the disposition of the firearms. He received a letter that due to the new laws he has to sell to an out of state resident or dealer,dispose or relinquish them to the nypd. I just want to be sure my uncle has no problems from this bull. Looks like NYC is looking to start a gun grab
    the new law in NY is something I haven't any clue about but if your uncle was outside of NYC the rifles were probably NOT registered with the state of NY

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    take the rifles from your uncle then you need to unload them, place them into the trunk of your vehicle, drive DIRECTLY to your home,
    bring the weapons into your home.
    NJ has no firearms registration and you are not obliged to report your possession of the rifles.
    And both the uncle and the nephew commit separate Federal felonies. Some people prefer to obey the law rather than just do what is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the new law in NY is something I haven't any clue about but if your uncle was outside of NYC the rifles were probably NOT registered with the state of NY
    You don't have much of a clue about Federal law either, unless you were just telling him to ignore it.....in which case it would have been best to mention that your initial advice violates a Federal law that has been in existence since 1968 so the OP could make an informed decision whether he wanted to violate it or not.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And both the uncle and the nephew commit separate Federal felonies. Some people prefer to obey the law rather than just do what is easy.

You don't have much of a clue about Federal law either, unless you were just telling him to ignore it.....in which case it would have been best to mention that your initial advice violates a Federal law that has been in existence since 1968 so the OP could make an informed decision whether he wanted to violate it or not.
    Correct. Even if you both were NJ residents, transfer in NY would violate the Federal Law. Except in the case of a death, where the person to whom they are willed can take possession of them unless in violation of local laws.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

maybe I don't have a clue, but the info I offered is precisely how I transferred my handguns and long guns when making a move from NYC to NJ. are you certain about the federal law and it's application to long guns?
    and considering I lived in NJ for more than 25 years and then transferred those very same weapons to FLA. was I in violation of federal laws for all these years? I don't think so.

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

I don't believe there is a federal violation. At least I can't find one. NYS does not require registration of long guns at this time and your uncle may give you his guns. If there is any concern then go through an FFL.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast