Traveling with Rifles and Ammunition - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with Rifles and Ammunition

1. travelling with rifles and ammunition

You don't need a FFL to make a private sale..well "not yet anyways "

3. With all due respect, maybe you should contact your attorney to ask such vital questions. You can also contact FFL's as they will be in the know, but proper attorney's will keep you out of trouble... the Internet may not be your best option for such vital legal information. "I didn't know" is not a valid legal defense, so you best know beforehand.

With that said, I have no doubt that NavyLCDR has accurate information, but it is your a$$ not mine, or his.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Hickle View Post
    Yes, but what do I need to do to drive them from Virginia to South Carolina? All long guns, no hand guns, and a bunch of ammo.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hickle View Post
    You apparently have a reading comprehension problem. The federal laws that require the FFL transfer were posted earlier.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by draexo View Post
    So I should NOT drive up to Virginia, load the weapons and ammo and drive back???

I would need an FFL dealer on EACH end to do this legally? Can I even transport them in my vehicle with an FFL?

I am very confused right now!
    Meet your friend at an FFL in Virginia. He brings the rifles. FFL in Virginia transfers the rifles to you. Then you can pack up the unloaded rifles and ammo in your car and LEGALLY drive with them back to South Carolina. No need for lawyers, this is the legal way people buy guns out of state every day. If these were handguns, they would have to be shipped to an FFL in South Carolina, that is the only difference.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Meet your friend at an FFL in Virginia. He brings the rifles. FFL in Virginia transfers the rifles to you. Then you can pack up the unloaded rifles and ammo in your car and LEGALLY drive with them back to South Carolina. No need for lawyers, this is the legal way people buy guns out of state every day. If these were handguns, they would have to be shipped to an FFL in South Carolina, that is the only difference.
    This makes sense and I will not need an FFL in South Carolina.

I was just thinking about this the other day. The fact that you need to "transfer" ownership of a firearm to someone. When I buy a boat or a car the title is "transfered" which implies that the details of said boat or car is recorded somewhere in a government database and my name is associated with it. It is registered..... So, we all keep on hearing about "gun registration". Do we not already have it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Marine View Post
    [QUOTE/Transportation is easy. Just curious, which FFL are you going to use for the transfer since an FFL transfer is required to make the sale legal?
    When did a private sale between two people become illegal? Have I been away from VA that long?[/QUOTE]

When the buyer isn't from VA, that's when!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickle View Post
    Private sales are only legal between two residents of the state, at least in VA.

In NC anyone (that can legally own a firearm) can carry a firearm in their vehicle, if it is in plain sight, or if it is a compartment that is not accessible to the driver or a passenger. Common sense says to unload any gun that is not specifically carried for SD, but the ammo does not need to be stored separately from the gun. That will cover you for your NC leg of the trip.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast