late at night..flashlight or natural night vision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: late at night..flashlight or natural night vision

late at night..flashlight or natural night vision

This came to my mind after reading an article about "things that go bump in the night". The author heard something in the middle of the night. He grabbed his gun and flashlight and went to the top of the stairs.

Now, I only speak for myself. But in the middle of the night, when I've been awakened by a noise, I don't even consider getting a flashlight. Here's why...

Between streetlights, nightlights, appliance lights, and the occasional accent light, my house has enough light to enable me to see quite well when my eyes have adjusted to the dark.

I am intimately familiar with the layout of my house and the placement of the furniture. I don't need a flashlight to navigate in the house.

Because of my familiarity with the environment, I feel that a flashlight "gives my position away" to a potential intruder. If armed, they only need to shoot at the light to improve their chance of hitting me.

If I were in unfamiliar territory, I would (and have) relied on a flashlight to make my way. I have cleared buildings with a flashlight and a pistol in the past, but those were different circumstances.

I invite you all to chime in on this topic. Please try to keep the "what if" scenarios to a minimum. You could introduce kids, pets, house guests and who knows what else into the situation. There is no single correct answer that fits every possibility.

What say you?

I am always using a flashlight. I never read of a story where a defender got killed because they were using a flashlight and the attacker shot at the light and killed the defender. I've read too many stories where the defender shot their wife, kid, pet accidentally.

I would use a light. I keep a TLR1s on my weapon for night time occasions at home and at work. You never know who youre aiming at, especially when you wake up in the middle of the night and youre still groggy. Just my preference
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Separate flashlight. Not as much light out in the country, especially on a rainy or cloudy night. No streetlights, no lights on the appliances at night, small night light only in the bathroom for the grand daughter. So for me, a good flashlight on the nightstand next to the bed.
    I prefer the light separate from the weapon so I don't point a weapon at a loved one when first waking up.

If I were investigating a noise within my home, my first order of business would be to be sure of where my family was. This is easy for me, since it is just my wife and I. My wife would have her handgun and stay in the bedroom. I do have a flashlight on my nightstand and I would retrieve it along with my firearm. I would not use the flashlight except to aim in and then it would be off as quickly as it was on. A flashlight can be a target, therefore I use it sparingly. I concur with the OP, that I can navigate my house with the ambient light that is around. After investigating, I would call to my wife that there is an all clear and I'm coming back into the bedroom. That is the plan that we have laid out for our home.

Is this question in relation to the Jason Hanson article in which he stood at the top of the steps as a perfect target for any armed assailant shining his light down the stairs to give away his position? http://www.usacarry.com/how-handle-loud-thud-night/
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

@wolf fire...yes. that was the article that got me thinking.

With 1200 lumens in their eyes I doubt they will be shooting back. At night the first item I consider is the light.
    I would prefer not to have to shoot someone, outside or inside. Also, keep a cell phone handy.

Link to light:
    FourSevens Maelstrom MMU-HD - 1200 Lumen LED Flashlight

I think it’s situation dependent. I happen to have better night vision than Dracula and I almost never use a flashlight no matter where I’m at. In my home I can step out the bedroom door and cover 2/3 of the house. And the lights from the car port would backlight anyone in that space.

That said, a flashlight can also be used to blind an intruder and I would consider it for that.

Finally, I’ve read enough of Jason Hanson’s articles to be 100% convinced he is a poser of TCD proportions
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    This came to my mind after reading an article about "things that go bump in the night". The author heard something in the middle of the night. He grabbed his gun and flashlight and went to the top of the stairs.

Now, I only speak for myself. But in the middle of the night, when I've been awakened by a noise, I don't even consider getting a flashlight. Here's why...

Between streetlights, nightlights, appliance lights, and the occasional accent light, my house has enough light to enable me to see quite well when my eyes have adjusted to the dark.

I am intimately familiar with the layout of my house and the placement of the furniture. I don't need a flashlight to navigate in the house.

Because of my familiarity with the environment, I feel that a flashlight "gives my position away" to a potential intruder. If armed, they only need to shoot at the light to improve their chance of hitting me.

If I were in unfamiliar territory, I would (and have) relied on a flashlight to make my way. I have cleared buildings with a flashlight and a pistol in the past, but those were different circumstances.

I invite you all to chime in on this topic. Please try to keep the "what if" scenarios to a minimum. You could introduce kids, pets, house guests and who knows what else into the situation. There is no single correct answer that fits every possibility.

What say you?
    I agree with you...
    Inside of my own home, in the middle of the night, I'm very familiar with my surroundings (and so is my loyal german shepherd)...
    Between my loyal companion and my trusty firearms, my flashlight is not my first 'go to' tool.
    I would prefer to 'light up' any home intruder with muzzle flash if I ever needed to (God forbid).
    But I do have a flashlight that's mounted onto my Mossberg just in case I cannot make out some shadowy looking figure.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Wink Another tool to use accordingly

It is great to know your layout and understand what light you have available at night in your home. Keep in mind light doesn't bend around corners so there will be dark or blind spots if you will that will need to be illuminated for safeties sake. That said just because you pick up a flashlight along with your weapon doesn't mean you are going to light it up and expose you location all the time. Being aware of what you are trying to accomplish and having the lay of the land to your advantage a quick flash of light in a suspected direction will startle an intruder and could cause him to make a noise giving you another advantage if you listen well. I'm just saying that a light used properly is another tool and can assist in the moment of need.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast