Court strikes down ban on USPS parking lot carry.

Thread: Court strikes down ban on USPS parking lot carry.

Court strikes down ban on USPS parking lot carry.

Saw this on FB earlier and didn't see it on here yet. Score one for the good guys.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/us/guns-post-office/index.html

District Court for Colorado. Does not mean it is in force in the rest of the US. Although it should be. There are 94 District Courts in the US. An appeal would take it to the 10th Circuit Court which then would encompass several states.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    District Court for Colorado. Does not mean it is in force in the rest of the US. Although it should be. There are 94 District Courts in the US. An appeal would take it to the 10th Circuit Court which then would encompass several states.
    Appreciate the explanation. Never really understood the court hierarchy. But how then can a district court (that only covers Colorado?) make a local ruling concerning federal property!

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Appreciate the explanation. Never really understood the court hierarchy. But how then can a district court (that only covers Colorado?) make a local ruling concerning federal property!
    It's one of the quirks of our legal system. And even worse, many states have more than one District. As far as I can tell, that is also the case in CO so it wouldn't even cover the whole state. District Court rulings creates no precedent. It applies only to the parties involved in the case.
    And only in that District. A Circuit Court of Appeals which hears the appeals covers the many states in the circuit. Supreme Court covers all the Circuit Courts. But if another District Court faces the same kind of case, they can look at the other's ruling for guidance. And if they agree in their case, then it adds to the guidance for the next District to hear the same kind of case. If they disagree, then you'll see things go higher. Obamacare got to the Supreme Court because many different courts had many differing opinions on what was legal.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Yeah, I saw that. My p.o. is in a shopping center and has a common parking lot so to hell with them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Saw this on FB earlier and didn't see it on here yet. Score one for the good guys.

Guns OK in post office parking lots, federal judge rules - CNN.com
    NICE! That's always been BS to me! My post office is in an Industrial Park, the bldg itself isn't even Federally owned, let alone the parking lot.