Open carry at a business that has No CC sign - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open carry at a business that has No CC sign

JSDinTexas Guest
    Disarming myself at the whim of some store-keeper? Nonsense! If I see a no guns sign of any kind, I do not do business there - problem solved

3. Let me correct. Those signs had no force of law. A store "could" put one up, but for 10+ years, I did not see one.

Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.

4. Some of us don't have the luxury to shop other stores, because there aren't any. I live in a rural retirement community, and am limited in my purchase options. While I wish I could turn around at the doors that have no weapons allowed signs, and purchase elsewhere, I don't. I turn around to stow my sidearm in the vehicle.

Having said that, there have only been two occasions that I've had to turn around and stow my hardware. No great inconvenience, but I don't like setting myself up to be a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by dustoffuh1 View Post
    This question came to mind as I went to pick up my prescriptions at the clinic today. They have a sign on the door, No concealed weapons permitted. As always I left my firearm in the trunk. However I realized that my EDC knife was hidden under my t-shirt, so I pulled that side of my t-shirt over the knife so it wasn't concealed. Which brought this to mind. In WI its also legal to open carry a firearm. So,, if I walked in there open carying, that would be fine,,, correct? Not that I would ever do it, because that would just be kinda taunting them and I like the people who work there. Its a small town, and everyone knows everyone. Anyway by law, if I did open carry in a business with a no CC weapons sign, I would have every right to do so, I would think. Thoughts? Comments~
    I would say in my opinion that it would mean both. But ask the management for a clarification, and if it means no firearms allowed kindly explain to the management that you will be doing business else where.

In NC if there is a no "Concealed" weapon sign posted, you may open carry into the establishment..... But that is usually when you could be trespassing because they would probably ask you to leave. You also can not conceal carry in a police station or correctional facility. Technically, you could open carry into a PD or Jail/prison, but it wouldn't be very prudent, would it? Just because you CAN, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

"just keepin', and bearin'....."
    "Praise the Lord, pass the ammunition!"
    NRA Member
    GRNC.org Member

7. Quote Originally Posted by bigrebnc1861 View Post
    I would say in my opinion that it would mean both. But ask the management for a clarification, and if it means no firearms allowed kindly explain to the management that you will be doing business else where.
    Why discuss it with management? Why not take what they expressed via the sign exactly for what it says? If they don't want guns in the store then they need to post a sign, or make a statement that they don't want guns in the store, period. "NO GUNS OR OTHER WEAPONS ALLOWED". How hard is that? What they said via the sign was that they did not want you to hide your guns from view in their store. What would a court say about it? That you were just to assume that a posted sign means something other than what is stated on the sign? No. The court would say, "Your sign says no concealed weapons, and the customer was not concealing any weapons, so they complied with EXACTLY what you stated to them that you wanted them to comply with." Just obey the sign and be done with it. A lot of communications problem happen because people don't say what they mean, and other people assume someone meant what they did not say. Take the sign for what it says, nothing more.

Personally, if I owned a business, I would prefer that you carry your gun openly as well, but that would just be my personal preference and not a requirement that I make.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I'll clarify again. The sign says, No Concealed Weapons Permitted. That's why I was wondering about open carry. It's a medical clinic. So I'm "guessing" they don't want to have to deal with a loaded firearm while examining someone. Like I said, its a small town, everyone knows everyone, so I honestly wouldn't want to cause any problems. But by going with what the sign actually says, open carry "should" be ok. But I wouldn't do it out of respect. Most up here also have an AR or shotgun in their vehicle simply because of wild animals anyway. It's generally a firearm agreeable town.

9. Quote Originally Posted by dustoffuh1 View Post
    I'll clarify again. The sign says, No Concealed Weapons Permitted. That's why I was wondering about open carry. It's a medical clinic. So I'm "guessing" they don't want to have to deal with a loaded firearm while examining someone. Like I said, its a small town, everyone knows everyone, so I honestly wouldn't want to cause any problems. But by going with what the sign actually says, open carry "should" be ok. But I wouldn't do it out of respect. Most up here also have an AR or shotgun in their vehicle simply because of wild animals anyway. It's generally a firearm agreeable town.
    I find it difficult to feel that an action is disrespectfull because it does not meet a desire that the actor must assume or guess exists.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by dustoffuh1 View Post
    This question came to mind as I went to pick up my prescriptions at the clinic today. They have a sign on the door, No concealed weapons permitted. As always I left my firearm in the trunk. However I realized that my EDC knife was hidden under my t-shirt, so I pulled that side of my t-shirt over the knife so it wasn't concealed. Which brought this to mind. In WI its also legal to open carry a firearm. So,, if I walked in there open carying, that would be fine,,, correct? Not that I would ever do it, because that would just be kinda taunting them and I like the people who work there. Its a small town, and everyone knows everyone. Anyway by law, if I did open carry in a business with a no CC weapons sign, I would have every right to do so, I would think. Thoughts? Comments~
    I think you could be arrested. Are there any laws in WI that prohibit carrying a firearm into a clinic?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

11. There is nothing in the WI statute that prohibits carrying of weapons in medical facilities, with the exception of the secured portions of mental health facilities. Wis. Stat. 175.60 (16)(a)

Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast