Open carry at a business that has No CC sign - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open carry at a business that has No CC sign

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobqdevon View Post
    There is nothing in the WI statute that prohibits carrying of weapons in medical facilities, with the exception of the secured portions of mental health facilities. Wis. Stat. 175.60 (16)(a)

Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.
    If the sign is not prominently displayed and a minimum of 5x7 inches, it is not legal. Every bank in New Richmond has illegally sized signs. And yes, in some places, you will probably be arrested. The constitution is unknown in parts of our state. Keep a copy of the laws on you. Even writing down the statute and the words "sign laws" and folding it up in your pocket is better than not having it at all. When you are being questioned, refer them to the paper. If they refuse to check the law, any lawyer worth 2 cents could bury them.

Actually I had another thought. Its is a very small town, and as I said generally gun friendly. The clinic is the only business with a no concealed carry sign. Its a small clinic, however, its part of a wide large network of medical centers in Wisconsin. They actually may not have had a choice, because the administration may have told them to put it up. In any case, the sign is there. I do really appreciate all of the opinions and input!

Quote Originally Posted by dustoffuh1 View Post
    Actually I had another thought. Its is a very small town, and as I said generally gun friendly. The clinic is the only business with a no concealed carry sign. Its a small clinic, however, its part of a wide large network of medical centers in Wisconsin. They actually may not have had a choice, because the administration may have told them to put it up. In any case, the sign is there. I do really appreciate all of the opinions and input!
    If the sign is there you understand their wishes. If you choose to carry anyway that's your prerogative but it could have consequences.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    If the sign is there you understand their wishes. If you choose to carry anyway that's your prerogative but it could have consequences.
    So you're saying that their wishes that all forms of carry are banned when only one specific method is mentioned should be assumed by the carrier? Where in private property law is this meme supported?

If I misunderstood, my apologies, but as-understood (by me) I can't believe that such an assumption by the visitor to private property is mandated by law for them to make in any jurisdiction.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I do. There's a difference between the "No Weapons Allowed" signs, and "No Concealed Weapons." If it is a "No Weapons" I just never go there, if I can avoid it. If it says, "No Concealed Weapons" I flip my shirt-tail behind my crossbreed. Ohio is an Open-Carry state, too. I've never had anyone say anything about it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    .... I can't believe that such an assumption by the visitor to private property is mandated by law for them to make in any jurisdiction.

Blues
    So it seems logical to you that they don't want hidden weapons on their premises but those in plain sight are acceptable?

Let's leave the legalities to the side for a moment and use a little common sense.

I think that this whole thread is ridiculous.

I understand what the sign means and the intention of it. Most of the rest of you realize what the sign means and its' intent.

All of this "well, it doesn't SAY specifically I can't" and "the law says, ..." is nitpicking and playing with semantics to get to do what you want is childish. Either leave the gun elsewhere while on their premises like they want you to, or don't go there at all.

And while you're at it, quit acting like this and making the rest of us folks that carry a gun AND are respectful of the rights of others- at the same time, no less- look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    So it seems logical to you that they don't want hidden weapons on their premises but those in plain sight are acceptable?

Let's leave the legalities to the side for a moment and use a little common sense.

I understand what the sign means and the intention of it. Most of the rest of you realize what the sign means and its' intent.

All of this "well, it doesn't SAY specifically I can't" and "the law says, ..." is nitpicking and playing with semantics to get to do what you want is childish. Either leave the gun elsewhere while on their premises like they want you to, or don't go there at all.

And while you're at it, quit acting like this and making the rest of us folks that carry a gun AND are respectful of the rights of others- at the same time, no less- look bad.
    Your viewpoint is childish when you speak for "the rest of us."
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    No, it doesn't particularly make sense to me, but that is what the sign says, and it is in a state that allows open carry and does have clearly defined regulations on what the 30.06 signs must say to have the force of law.

Actually, the OP didn't ask a common sense question, he asked a legal question, but I'm willing to apply common sense if you wish. You first.

That's your "common sense" answer? OK, my turn.

If I post "No Trespassing" signs around the perimeter of my property, is there any ambiguity about who is allowed on it? I would say, and common sense would dictate, no, there's no ambiguity at all. No one is allowed unless invited or they have the legal authority to override the posted signage. Do we agree so far?

Now, one day I start feeling more receptive to my neighbors and take down the No Trespassing signs and replace them with "Posted: No Hunting." Can I continue to have visitors to my property who are not hunting arrested for trespassing? I would say, and common sense would dictate, no, visitors who don't bother the wildlife (outside my house ) can hike, sight-see, picnic, whatever, unless and until I ask them to leave. Do we still agree?

Having taken down the No Trespassing signs, now I'm getting deluged with all manner of solicitors at my front door. Some of them even want to sell me asphalt and concrete cleaners to get the oil up that leaks from your nice shiny truck, Sir, here, come on out and let me demonstrate! Of course, the idiot didn't even notice that he drove up a gravel driveway and parked in my dirt parking area because there's nary a chunk of 100-year-old concrete or asphalt to be found on my obsessively-cleaned property anywhere! So I put up a "No Soliciting" sign at my front door. Now hunters and solicitors are the only prohibited visitors to my property, right?

So the following Sunday I go to church and Pastor Patriot takes me aside and discretely says, "Brother Blues, Sister Christian and some of her Lady's Auxiliary members stopped by your place the other day to see how you were doing. Your wife made the Congregation aware of your recent health problems, and they just wanted to bring you some soup and deliver the prayers and well-wishes of the entire Congregation, but they saw your No Solicitors sign and didn't want to disrespect your wishes, so they left without knocking. Can I tell her to go ahead and knock the next time?" Golly gee, Pastor Patriot, common sense would tell anyone that knows me that I would never want to keep Sister Christian away, or that I would never turn down a meal and the prayers of my community! Of course she can knock next time. In fact, I'll fix that sign and offer an open invitation to any and all members of the Congregation. It was my fault, Pastor, I should've foreseen the confusion my poorly-worded sign might cause. T'won't happen again!

There's your common sense.

You have no Earthly idea what it means beyond what it says. That's because we're discussing a legal question, not one which requires conjecture in order to conclude within your own personal ideas of "common sense." It's small-town WI where they only just got a concealed carry law within the last couple or three years if I recall correctly. Maybe the store-keep was an activist in that fight, and he wants all carriers to show loudly and proudly that they are welcome to exercise their gun rights in his store, instead of hiding in the shadows that their state kept them in for so long. Maybe not, but if not, then it's incumbent upon the property owner to make it legally clear, and not as muddied as the Mighty Mississipp that makes up WI's Western border!

Pure conjecture. Doesn't address the legal question that was asked at all.

If discussing the legal implications of an ambiguously-worded sign in small-town WI on an obscure thread on a moderately-busy, narrowly-focused website can make you "look bad," then your massive insecurities are what we should be discussing, not that little sign.

Don't ever presume to be the spokesman for all gun-owners to the extent that you feel qualified to tell the rest of us to quit doing or saying anything. You make yourself look bad, which is perfectly fine and exactly as it should be.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

10. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Their sign expresses ONLY a wish that firearms not be concealed on the premises. That is all. The public cannot be expected to be mind readers, especially as probable cause for arrest.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

If you think this whole thread is ridiculous,,, why are you even reading and commenting on it????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast