Open carry at a business that has No CC sign
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry at a business that has No CC sign

Open carry at a business that has No CC sign

This question came to mind as I went to pick up my prescriptions at the clinic today. They have a sign on the door, No concealed weapons permitted. As always I left my firearm in the trunk. However I realized that my EDC knife was hidden under my t-shirt, so I pulled that side of my t-shirt over the knife so it wasn't concealed. Which brought this to mind. In WI its also legal to open carry a firearm. So,, if I walked in there open carying, that would be fine,,, correct? Not that I would ever do it, because that would just be kinda taunting them and I like the people who work there. Its a small town, and everyone knows everyone. Anyway by law, if I did open carry in a business with a no CC weapons sign, I would have every right to do so, I would think. Thoughts? Comments~

3. I think a reasonable person would take that signage and apply it to both forms of carry. In essence you are correct, but in the real world it's a crap shoot.

I'd think it would be stirring the poop where the poop doesn't need to be stirred
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

5. Under WI law, the wording of the sign is what matters. If it says "No concealed weapons" then you should be fine (my opinion), and if they say something or call police, I'd show them the wording of the sign and explain you honored their request. However, if the sign says "No firearms or weapons" then that means none whatsoever.

Personally, I don't spend any of my money in stores that have the signs. I think it's a stupid concept to prohibit someone from defending themselves, so I go where I am welcomed, WITH my gun.

Here in WI, I've seen the signs at Applebees, Harbor Freight, and a few other shops. A lot of the larger malls have them at the entrance to their parking lots, so I don't go there either. No loss for me as I don't want to give my money to the big box stores.

Back in my previous state of residence, they weren't allowed to put up those signs. The courthouses were required to have a place at the entrance for you to lock your weapon. There wasn't a problem with people running into stores and shooting each other. Don't see why it is necessary to have the signs here.

Carry got passed here, and a good first step. Time to make some changes now, and take the stupid out of the equation.

Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.

I am not a lawyer, but I am one of those guys who looks at wording or hears somebody say something and am technical in what I see or hear. What you said the signs reads is, "No concealed weapons permitted". If that is the language on the sign, and it does not say, "No weapons" allowed, then I would believe that open carry is ok. I understand that you live in a town where everybody knows everybody, and that you may leave your concealed weapon in your vehicle out of respect for the owner/operator of the building, but the sign reads "concealed". If they do not want weapons in their store, then they need to be clear about it.

To me it's like a STOP sign that reads, "STOP....only if somebody is coming
    ".

I suspect the sign was meant to read "No weapons", but who knows these days. A simple solution is ask the owner or manager. Just ask them. You may be fine if you open carry but then you just might piss them off and end the business relationship. And since you like them you don't want to ruffle the feathers. Remember, a CC permit can be over ruled by the property/business owner.

Can't answer you question but in Texas the signage is very particular and in English and Spanish anything else you can ignore, if ask to leave you must.

I'd put the answer to this question in the same category as "concealed mean concealed...if they don't know it's ok..." meme

Store obviously doesn't want firearms on their private property, respect their rights on their property.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Can't answer you question but in Texas the signage is very particular and in English and Spanish anything else you can ignore, if ask to leave you must.
    In Texas there is no open carry so how does Texas matter in this instance?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

11. Quote Originally Posted by bobqdevon View Post
    Back in my previous state of residence, they weren't allowed to put up those signs.
    And exactly which state would that be? There is no state in the union that prohibits a private business from banning firearms, and putting up a sign stating that as a matter of company policy no firearms are allowed on their private property.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast