Home defense pistol with suppressor?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home defense pistol with suppressor?

I recently had to fire outside to deal with a problem with wild animals and the effect on my ears ignited an interest in a home defense pistol with different characteristics than I previously pursued. It has been a long time since I fired anything with naked ears. This reminded me why that was true. I have previously thought about the implications of firing anything significant inside, but this brought it to the fore. It was the basis of not selecting a 12 guage for interior home defense.

I have decided what I need is something very reliable with a very large mag capacity (> 15) that can have a suppressor attached. Able to reliably eat high performance defense ammunition (e.g., assorted hollow points). Most everything I have is 9mm, so that is a reasonable target. I feel this is a happy medium between effectiveness per round and capacity. Please do not go off on an argument about 9mm vs other.

The tricky/limiting part, I think, would be a way to get a suppressor on it.

If you guys could make some suggestions for a pistol with those characteristics I would appreciate it.

I practice with ear protection for the times I won't have ear protection. One's plan for, the other is not.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I know it's not 9mm. My home defense handgun is an FNP FNX45T with osprey suppressor.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. you can get a threaded barrel for many popular modern semi-autos, glock, h&k, sig, beretta, etc. start with defense loads that are below the speed of sound in your base model selected handgun, try several different kinds to be sure of reliability, then research and find the suppressor you want. im sure there are some here who have done the process and can detail the rest for you.

I unfortunately live in a state where suppressors are a no-no.... that said... for inside the home defense, I welcome anything that will scare the sh#* out of the BG without even being hit....loud is good in my book....somewhat same results as a stun gun as far as getting them off their game long enough for you to take charge

7. Quote Originally Posted by barecove View Post
    I unfortunately live in a state where suppressors are a no-no.... that said... for inside the home defense, I welcome anything that will scare the sh#* out of the BG without even being hit....loud is good in my book....somewhat same results as a stun gun as far as getting them off their game long enough for you to take charge

Loud can be bad say there is more then one BG? BG #1 opens you're door You sit up grab you're pistola BG one down and out. You just fired the gun in you're bedroom and will be deaf for the next 20 min BG #2 coming in the window behind you with a shotgun but you do not hear him!

In WA you can pay for a suppressor but it has to be approved by the Sheriff. I think the county would approve it but I would make sure before buying anything. The sheriff of the closest town has categorically said they will not approve one. Followed by the impression of a clear feeling that the only possible reason for wanting one it to terrorize and participate in horribly illegal activities. I pointed out that some countries require suppressors and explained why one would want to use one. Can you say, disinterested.

9. Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    In WA you can pay for a suppressor but it has to be approved by the Sheriff. I think the county would approve it but I would make sure before buying anything. The sheriff of the closest town has categorically said they will not approve one. Followed by the impression of a clear feeling that the only possible reason for wanting one it to terrorize and participate in horribly illegal activities. I pointed out that some countries require suppressors and explained why one would want to use one. Can you say, disinterested.

Yes the local Chief/ cleo has to sign off. That said you get a trust and then you do not need a Cleo signoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    That's federal law, not just WA. Like Maine said, if your CLEO or sheriff refuses to sign off on one though, you can spend about $100 setting up an NFA trust and just purchase the suppressor through that. It eliminates the CLEO requirement and you can call him up and tell him to go F himself with a cactus. The trust option also has several benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    In this day and age, you could be perfectly justified defending your family in your own home and if taken to court by an over zealous prosecutor be painted as some "wacko" looking to kill somebody. "Why else would any "normal" person own a silencer?". I don't see anything wrong with it. Just sayin....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast