This tell you anything? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This tell you anything?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The first statistic quoted is 14 years old. The second statistic is almost 10 years old. We must be careful that we are not as guilty of cherry picking statistics to prove our side as the anti-gun crowd does.
    Considering the violent crime rate in America has dropped significantly since the 1990's the data could only be better. Some studies are just that old. They haven't been repeated in 6 or 7 years. That's not cherry picking. It's the most recent data on the subject that we can find.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

3. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Considering the violent crime rate in America has dropped significantly since the 1990's the data could only be better. Some studies are just that old. They haven't been repeated in 6 or 7 years. That's not cherry picking. It's the most recent data on the subject that we can find.
    And the anti-gun crowd will claim the drop in violent crime is due to stronger gun control laws in areas where they have been able to pass them....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And the anti-gun crowd will claim the drop in violent crime is due to stronger gun control laws in areas where they have been able to pass them....
    Yup. Even though the areas with the most stringent gun control see the highest crime.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I'm not saying that this info isn't correct, but where's your source? I don't want to just take your word for it. Also, It's misleading to say that New Orleans and Detroit have extra tough gun control when in fact they are both located in shall issue states.

What all four cities do have in common however, is that, except for Chicago, all have a majority of Black residents residing within them (and as for Chicago, the overwhelming majority of murders happens on the South Side, which is, you guessed it, majority Black). And what do Black voters nationwide support practically monolithically? GUN CONTROL!

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    THis shows recent collected data, although the way it is presented is a little clunky. The author considers individual cities in the US as 'nations' and compares our cities against the ranking of other nations. Even so some of our cities get some lousy ranking.

Gun Violence in U.S. Cities Compared to the Deadliest Nations in the World - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I edited it as I hadn't checked it out.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Yup. Even though the areas with the most stringent gun control see the highest crime.
    But the anti's will just say that this means that even MORE gun control is needed. And the steeple will continue to believe them...
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Chicago is not one of the top 5 murder rate cities, not even the top 25. They were actually 40th in 2011.

Proprigating this type of misinformation is merely using the same tactics that the anti libtards use, just making stuff up to fit your agenda.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Chicago is not one of the top 5 murder rate cities, not even the top 25. They were actually 40th in 2011.

Proprigating this type of misinformation is merely using the same tactics that the anti libtards use, just making stuff up to fit your agenda.
    Actually it was around number 7 as far as major metropolitan cities go. But as always with statistics, it depends on how you look at the numbers.
    FBI ? Table 6
    You can see from the chart that there are varying ways to define a metropolitan area and varying ways to define the boundaries as well. I don't consider Fajardo, Puerto Rico to be a major metropolitan area, but it had the highest metropolitan area murder rate in 2011. I don't include it in my rankings though. I disregard places that I don't consider major metropolitan areas. And as always with crime statistics, there are variables that make the interpretation of them extremely difficult to do. That's why the FBI warns people not to use the crime statistics for ranking of cities.
    FBI ? Caution Against Ranking
    But I don't think it's a big secret that, no matter what numbers you see, Chicago is a pretty bad place when it comes to crime. And their gun control isn't working worth a crap either. Unless you're a criminal of course.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

10. I think what it really tells us is that any statistic can be manipulated by any side of an argument to appear to support their side.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I have a reunion from the ship I was station on back in the mid to late seventies, USS Knox (FF-1052). This is being held in Chicago next month. I will not attend due to Illinois oppressive gun laws and the high crime rate in that area. It's really a shame that Illinois does not accept my 2 different State issued CWP's. Why anyone would visit that area is beyond me.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast