self-defense liability insurance - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: self-defense liability insurance

Quote Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
    USCCA had a bad rep in its early years, and I didn't stick around to see if it would get better. ACLDN is a good choice. If you happen to be in Texas, Texas Law Shield, is a prepaid legal plan, not insurance. If you use your weapon, you call and they provide a gun-friendly lawyer for criminal and/or civil action. They also have some good publications. I read an article recently that said they have 70,000 members. The basic plan is around $125 a year. It's not insurance; it's a law firm. They offer concealed carry, home use of a gun, and combinations (you carry, your wife doesn't but might use a gun in home defense). On a Texas gun forum, I have read [unsubstantiated] reports of them handling some incidents.

There are no standards or regulating bodies in this area, so it is a crap shoot no matter what. The law firm that is Texas Law Shield is about 40 miles from my home, so if they were to jack me around, then, as we say in the south, "I know where they live." I have spoken with them on the phone a couple times, and I do have some confidence that they know what they're talking about. They offer multi-state coverage as well, which I have, but even it is limited to a few states.

Whether you have some legal coverage or not, I think the best advice I've heard was to assume you're going to be arrested if you use, or even brandish, your gun, so always use it as a last resort. Flight is preferable to fight. Be a good witness, not a hero. Protect you and your family, never a stranger. Don't count on being "judged by twelve" as always working in your favor. Look not to stand your ground, but rather for a back way out. In short, act like you would if you were not carrying a firearm.

Sent using Tapatalk...so please excuse the typos!
    US Law Shield is what I have and Texas Law Shield is part of it as is Florida Law Shield. I have the out of state coverage too. http://www.uslawshield.com/ Currently, the covered states under the multi-state option are the following:
    Alabama Arizona Arkansas
    Colorado Georgia Indiana
    Louisiana Mississippi New Mexico
    Oklahoma Tennessee Texas
    Virginia Florida
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by glock35 View Post
    In a case like Zimmerman, the prosecution would have brought out the fact that he had "self defense insurance" and would argue that it showed a planned intent to use the gun.
    There will not be any winners in a fight like this. You have to decide if your life is in danger and is it worth the risk of losing everything you own. Using a gun should be a last resort and if you want to carry, think beforehand of what you are willing to do. The real world will not be like a hollywood movie.
    I have auto insurance, too. That doesn't mean I plan to wreck my car.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I have auto insurance, too. That doesn't mean I plan to wreck my car.
    That is correct. And if a DA brought up the insurance in court, the defense could ask if you have car insurance to prove a point to the jury.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    US Law Shield is what I have and Texas Law Shield is part of it as is Florida Law Shield. I have the out of state coverage too. http://www.uslawshield.com/ Currently, the covered states under the multi-state option are the following:
    Alabama Arizona Arkansas
    Colorado Georgia Indiana
    Louisiana Mississippi New Mexico
    Oklahoma Tennessee Texas
    Virginia Florida
    You've just published the list of states in which I am happy to vacation. Coincidentally, those states honor the Texas Concealed Handgun License.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    In many states (most likely not NY), you are free of civil liability for a good shoot. That does not mean that anyone or everyone cannot bring suit in this asylum formerly known as the USA.
    We've been unable to find a guilty verdict in a SD shooting anywhere in case law. It appears juries tend to side with the victim who defends himself. However, once the suit is brought it's too late. Most people can't pay the legal bill so they've already lost.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    That is correct. And if a DA brought up the insurance in court, the defense could ask if you have car insurance to prove a point to the jury.
    The DA has no foundation to introduce the topic. He can't just say anything he wants. He must have a foundation to refrain from prejudicial statements.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123