Teachers Concealed Carry in Clarksville, AR
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers Concealed Carry in Clarksville, AR

1. Teachers Concealed Carry in Clarksville, AR

I graduated from this High School in the early 70s. Kudos to the school administration for "common sense" solutions to try to keep kids safe.

Arkansas teachers to carry 9 mm guns on campus come fall - Washington Times

Howdy,

It's against state law for anyone except LEOs to have a firearm on a public school campus.

Colleges and Universities can decide if staff members can CCW on campus. So far all of the State Colleges and Universities have said "No.".

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

4. In Arkansas, licensed armed security guards may carry on school property. Perhaps some remedial reading?

Nice to hear some schools are finally being educated and learning some of Life's tools. Maybe after school programs will reappear after some 30 years like skeet/trap club, Firearms/Hunter safety classes, target shooting club. Gee, HELLO, it's a school. What better place to teach then a ummmm, hold on I 'll get it. No, no, no please no help from the audience..............A SCHOOL!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

6. I have to give those teachers credit for going the 53 hours instruction to become licensed! I wonder how many other schools' teachers are this dedicated?

I guess they didn't get Obama's memo that he thought armed security in schools was a bad idea?

Our School District here,
    * no schools are posted, anyone with a CC license can carry in the schools....
    * there are armed SO's at each school
    * Now, the District is allowing select teachers and administration to carry as well.
    It's not against the law for a teacher to carry in the school if it's not posted, but the School District could prohibit it thru the personnel policies.... and fire them if they did. Thus, the school is selecting those with certain training, etc. to carry.
    >
    Now, the school district next to ours.... is extremely anti-gun, signs up on every door prohibiting it, no armed SO's, etc..... I guess they are just hoping the signs will work and do a hail marry that nothing ever happens.
    >
    Which school district would you want your kid to be in ?

Howdy riderbike,

Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    In Arkansas, licensed armed security guards may carry on school property. Perhaps some remedial reading?
    I don't know about remedial reading since the State AG wasn't familiar with the law, which is basically unknown. Most schools use either off duty cops or some school districts use a city cop as a Resource Officer. My daughter went to Benton School District and this is what they do.

I saw this on the news this morning. The school district has trained some of the staff as armed security guards which will allow them to carry on school property under current state laws.

So far no one has tried to challenge the school board for doing this so maybe this will set a new standard for Arkansas schools.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy riderbike,

I don't know about remedial reading since the State AG wasn't familiar with the law, which is basically unknown. Most schools use either off duty cops or some school districts use a city cop as a Resource Officer. My daughter went to Benton School District and this is what they do.

I saw this on the news this morning. The school district has trained some of the staff as armed security guards which will allow them to carry on school property under current state laws.

So far no one has tried to challenge the school board for doing this so maybe this will set a new standard for Arkansas schools.

Paul
    I certainly hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    I graduated from this High School in the early 70s. Kudos to the school administration for "common sense" solutions to try to keep kids safe.

Arkansas teachers to carry 9 mm guns on campus come fall - Washington Times
    To begin, I salute not only this school, but the state for realizing this is a security measure.
    As an individual working in any profession, unless I have a moral objection to something, I would enjoy taking the training.
    I am prior service, but, to get my carry permit my wife wanted me to go to class. It made her feel better and made me feel broker.
    I am guessing many of these teachers thought about the training in terms of their safety first.

This is a great step forward and I applaud the progress. Now lets hope we don't see teachers brandishing their weapons to make students comply with their rules.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

11. Big problem just arose! The Attorney General for Arkansas stated that since the staffers and teachers are not a private firm, it is his opinion that they cannot carry in the school. Asa Hutchinson has chimed-in calling for an emergency session of the legislature to address this issue/opinion. The AG has no problem with a private firm of licensed security guards carrying.

They will not be carrying until this gets ironed-out. The Arkansas AG (Dustin McDaniel) has thrown a wrench in the works. Doesn't have the kids safety as a priority.

I suppose the staffers/teachers could form a private firm, but don't know the ins and outs of that move.

Anyway, we'll see if Asa Hutchinson's call for an emergency legislative session gets some traction.

This is pure Arkansas politics. Good ol' boy Little Rock Arkansas politics. Anyone care to guess the AG's party affiliation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast