Mail My Son A Gun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Mail My Son A Gun?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by xhawkx View Post
    Well the answer to your exact question, without all those who are telling you NO absolutely NOT. They are incorrect. YES, you can mail your son a firearm through the mail system.Those who are saying NO, probably get in their cars get on the highway and never speed.

    There are 2 forms to fill out and away you go. I am a collector and after conversing with all the major players in the shipping world they shake their heads and laugh. BUT, and BUT, if you feel insecure call your local UPS or FedX or online and D/L the forms.
    Only problem with this post xhawkx is; UPS/FedEx/DHL etc. are shippers. You do not mail through a shipper, you ship. When you MAIL something you use the USPS (United States Postal Service). A governmental agency that has different federal rules for sending things than do private companies such as those I earlier listed. You are very correct and that there are forms that a shipper may use to SHIP via the carriers that allow firearms to ship, but you can not mail.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Are you not assuming that the son did not obtain and FOID prior to the gun being sent?

  4. #13
    I do see a way around this one though CDR. It is his gun, he owns it. It is not one that is being transferred to him. So, providing there is no reason he may not legally own/possess a firearm, if upon his next visit home, he were to simply ensure it is not loaded nor is there ammo in any mag that might go with it, secure it in a locked gun safe such as a Gunvault Nano than lock the safe in the trunk of his vehicle, he could simply take it home himself. It is my understanding IL will require him to register the gun in his home state of IL, but under this scenario, he should be able to get the gun home. Obviously, should his parent simply ship it to him legally via UPS using a FFL in FL to ship it to a FFL in IL all the legal issues are avoided.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,762
    I believe S&W645 was correct. The FOID is required, and strictly enforced from my understanding, before taking possession of a weapon.

    And federal law does indeed protect citizens traveling through a state that has such a system as IL's FOID, but IL is not obligated to allow people transporting guns through the state to get a hotel or stop to see family and establish temporary residency there, even if it is just overnight.

    I don't see any way before Kramer's son obtains a FOID that the weapon can be either shipped, mailed or transported from FL to IL, whether Kramer takes it to him, or his son goes to FL to pick it up. If the son takes possession of the weapon before obtaining the FOID, he would have to commit perjury on the FOID application, because he would be affirming that he was applying for permission to buy or transfer ownership of a weapon that he already defied the law by taking possession of.

    It's up to the son to make sure he knows the requirements in IL, and that he does the transfer in the proper sequence, or else he is asking for big-time trouble, IMHO.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    I do see a way around this one though CDR. It is his gun, he owns it. It is not one that is being transferred to him. So, providing there is no reason he may not legally own/possess a firearm, if upon his next visit home, he were to simply ensure it is not loaded nor is there ammo in any mag that might go with it, secure it in a locked gun safe such as a Gunvault Nano than lock the safe in the trunk of his vehicle, he could simply take it home himself. It is my understanding IL will require him to register the gun in his home state of IL, but under this scenario, he should be able to get the gun home. Obviously, should his parent simply ship it to him legally via UPS using a FFL in FL to ship it to a FFL in IL all the legal issues are avoided.
    Illinois does not require you to register a gun, the owner is registered throigh the FOID act. Under the criminal code and foid act, you can transport a handgun in a glove box or council as long as the gun is unloaded. Ammo can be with the gun. I lived in illinois for 31 years and never had an issue with poloce. All the stated info is available in a pdf pamplet on the illinois state police website.

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I believe S&W645 was correct. The FOID is required, and strictly enforced from my understanding, before taking possession of a weapon.

    And federal law does indeed protect citizens traveling through a state that has such a system as IL's FOID, but IL is not obligated to allow people transporting guns through the state to get a hotel or stop to see family and establish temporary residency there, even if it is just overnight.

    I don't see any way before Kramer's son obtains a FOID that the weapon can be either shipped, mailed or transported from FL to IL, whether Kramer takes it to him, or his son goes to FL to pick it up. If the son takes possession of the weapon before obtaining the FOID, he would have to commit perjury on the FOID application, because he would be affirming that he was applying for permission to buy or transfer ownership of a weapon that he already defied the law by taking possession of.

    It's up to the son to make sure he knows the requirements in IL, and that he does the transfer in the proper sequence, or else he is asking for big-time trouble, IMHO.

    Blues
    But how does the fact that he already owns this weapon effect this? He is not buying nor transferring it, simply picking it up from storage. Would he be lying if he states he already owned the weapon upon moving into the state and was just now bringing it into IL?

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,762
    Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    But how does the fact that he already owns this weapon effect this? He is not buying nor transferring it, simply picking it up from storage. Would he be lying if he states he already owned the weapon upon moving into the state and was just now bringing it into IL?
    I guess that would depend on how long he's been there and how long IL law allows you to comply with the FOID system as a new resident.

    As I said though, it's incumbent upon the son to know what the law is in his own jurisdiction. There are a lot of horror stories out there about enforcement of the IL FOID system. Plus, the question deals with federal shipping and transportation laws of firearms. Neither are anything to play with. If you run afoul of either IL's or the fed's laws, you put your gun rights, and maybe even your freedom, at risk. Just research the laws and proceed from there is the best advice I can give.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  9. Why don't you go see your son, hand him a beer with one hand, hand him the gun with the other. Then you should place both hands around him and give a big fatherly hug.

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Douggraybeal View Post
    Why don't you go see your son, hand him a beer with one hand, hand him the gun with the other. Then you should place both hands around him and give a big fatherly hug.
    I don't have the opportunity to visit him any time soon.
    He purchased the Gun while he was here visiting. Unfortunately he was flying so he left it here.
    I can, obviously Ship it FFL to FFL but thought if I could just send it directly to him why not avoid the expense.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by xhawkx View Post
    Well the answer to your exact question, without all those who are telling you NO absolutely NOT. They are incorrect. YES, you can mail your son a firearm through the mail system.Those who are saying NO, probably get in their cars get on the highway and never speed.

    There are 2 forms to fill out and away you go. I am a collector and after conversing with all the major players in the shipping world they shake their heads and laugh. BUT, and BUT, if you feel insecure call your local UPS or FedX or online and D/L the forms.
    Some people prefer to follow laws, when it isn't too much of a hassle, 1. Because maybe that is what their conscience dictates, and 2. They don't have to live with the possibility of getting caught. We are talking the US Post Office here that likes to xray mail, especially have forms attached that declare the shipment violates the domestic mail manual and would be a signed confession.

    I'm not going to quote the exact regulation here, but it is sections 12.0, 12.1, and 12.2 of the domestic mail manual:
    DMM 601 Mailability

    Read it carefully, OP, and you can decide if you want to violate it or not, and submit forms as xhawkx sugests, stating that you are violating the Domestic Mail Manual Regulations.

    The shipment between a private party (non-FFL) in one state, and a private party (non-FFL) in another state violates Federal law, even if it goes by UPS or FEDEX. The only legal way to ship the firearm between two non-FFLs across state lines is if the OWNER OF THE FIREARM ships the gun TO THEMSELVES in another state, in care of a third party. The third party accepts the package, but does not open it. In this case, the OWNER OF THE FIREARM would not be the shipper - the father would be.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast