Mail My Son A Gun? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mail My Son A Gun?

1. Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    I do see a way around this one though CDR. It is his gun, he owns it. It is not one that is being transferred to him. So, providing there is no reason he may not legally own/possess a firearm, if upon his next visit home, he were to simply ensure it is not loaded nor is there ammo in any mag that might go with it, secure it in a locked gun safe such as a Gunvault Nano than lock the safe in the trunk of his vehicle, he could simply take it home himself. It is my understanding IL will require him to register the gun in his home state of IL, but under this scenario, he should be able to get the gun home. Obviously, should his parent simply ship it to him legally via UPS using a FFL in FL to ship it to a FFL in IL all the legal issues are avoided.
    Technically, the gun was transferred to the father when the son left it in Florida with him, if the father had unrestricted access to it. There could be a claim of "storage" if the father did not have access to the gun, like it was in a locked safe that the father did not have the combination or key to. If the son comes back to Florida, he is still a resident of Illinois, visiting Florida. If he takes possession of the gun again, he is "OBTAINING" that firearm from an out of state source, his father who has complete unrestricted access to the gun in the complete absence of his son, and then returning to his home state with it. That violates 18 USC 922 (a)(3).
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

3. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Someone is going to come on and post, "It's your son, just hand him the gun and be done with it!" If you follow that advice, both you and your son will commit Federal felonies, violating separate sections of Federal law. Read 18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5) and (b)(3):

18 USC 922 - Unlawful acts | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute
    I must have a crystal ball. So, I've got to ask this.... all these posts coming up with ways to try to transfer the gun directly to the son while very questionably skirting the requirements of the current laws (not you davcommander, you actually asked a very legitimate question)..... why is it so hard just to ship the gun to an Illinois FFL and be done with it and no questions about complying with the law? If the son cannot legally receive the gun from an Illinois FFL, then there is a very good chance the firearm would be illegal for the son to possess in Illinois anyway.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by WB9IIE View Post
    NOT TRUE! If you are a Florida resident and visiting Illinois, you may transport a firearm. Check with someone from Illinois on this, but I believe the gun must be in a locked container in the trunk of the vehicle and the ammunition carried in another location of the vehicle. Illinois can NOT prevent an out of state resident from transporting a weapon, but they do make it as difficult as possible.
    The problems lies in:
    1. That he is not the owner of the gun.
    2. He is not a resident of the state of IL.
    3. He doesn't have the FOID.
    4. He is not an FFL.
    5. He is not a shipping firm.

What he has become is a transporter of a handgun into a state that he doesn't own. He has violated Federal laws in the process. In reality, he violated the Federal laws as soon as he left the state of Florida with it. If the son had taken the gun with him when he moved to IL, he had 60 days from the date of getting his IL DL/ID Card to get his FOID.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

And if we shipped it, the cost from us would be $25 plus shipping (~$20). And at the other end, it would be the FFL's transfer fee and NICS check fee. Far cheaper than the risk of paying legal fees to a lawyer if caught violating the Federal Laws.
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I must have a crystal ball. So, I've got to ask this.... all these posts coming up with ways to try to transfer the gun directly to the son while very questionably skirting the requirements of the current laws (not you davcommander, you actually asked a very legitimate question)..... why is it so hard just to ship the gun to an Illinois FFL and be done with it and no questions about complying with the law? If the son cannot legally receive the gun from an Illinois FFL, then there is a very good chance the firearm would be illegal for the son to possess in Illinois anyway.
    Thanks CDR, I still say use a FFL to send it to him and avoid any and all legal issues. It really isn't that expensive I have bought some guns from onsite auctions and shipping is almost always less than $40. Just ensure the FOID has been obtained and he is good to go and you are out just a short period of time, the time to find a FFL and then the time for you to complete the transaction. Your son can pay for the shipping and you wouldn't even be out any $. A thought just occurred to me. Does he even want this gun or are just wanting to get it out of your home?

@S&W645, the FFL I use here in OK doesn't even charge for the background check. Maybe that is something that may also be avoided.

My son and I decided we would ship FFL to FFL.
    Question though.

When I sent one of my hand guns in for repair I sent it VIA FedEx to the Manufacturer. When the Manufacturer sent it back, they sent it directly to me.
    What's the difference.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    And if we shipped it, the cost from us would be $25 plus shipping (~$20). And at the other end, it would be the FFL's transfer fee and NICS check fee. Far cheaper than the risk of paying legal fees to a lawyer if caught violating the Federal Laws.
    Do you have or work in a gun shop I need to visit? I'm in Homosassa.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    My son and I decided we would ship FFL to FFL.
    Question though.

When I sent one of my hand guns in for repair I sent it VIA FedEx to the Manufacturer. When the Manufacturer sent it back, they sent it directly to me.
    What's the difference.
    A non-FFL can send a handgun directly to a manufacturer via FedEx or UPS and to certain others but not to a private individual by law. The manufacturer can send it directly back as the gun is already yours.
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Do you have or work in a gun shop I need to visit? I'm in Homosassa.
    I'm A far piece away from you. Like 5.5 hours away. Gun shop is in Homestead.
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast