Mail My Son A Gun?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mail My Son A Gun?

Mail My Son A Gun?

Is it legal to mail a gun to your child?
    I'm in Florida, he is in Illinois.
    It was his gun when he lived here. He's 33 years old by the way.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Simple answer to your question is no. It would violate multiple Federal laws and, probably a few Illinois state laws.

If it is a handgun, you can ship the handgun to an Illinois FFL for transfer to your son via Fedex or UPS.

If it is a rifle or shotgun, you can mail the rifle or shotgun to an FFL for transfer to your son via US Post Office (or Fedex or UPS).

You can also take the firearm to an FFL in your state and they can ship the gun to an FFL in Illinois. That might be the cheapest way to do it if the gun is a handgun.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Someone is going to come on and post, "It's your son, just hand him the gun and be done with it!" If you follow that advice, both you and your son will commit Federal felonies, violating separate sections of Federal law. Read 18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5) and (b)(3):

18 USC 922 - Unlawful acts | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC 922 - Unlawful acts
    (a) It shall be unlawful—
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Does that apply if "it was his gun when he lived here (Florida)"?

Next time you go and visit him, take the gun and give it back to him. (period)

My suggestion is that you should go directly to a USPS office. USPS personnel will give you the exact method by which you may legally "mail"/"ship" your son's handgun to him. Make sure when you inquire that you tell the person that the gun belongs to your son.

The basic USPS rule (from https://www.usps.com/send/can-you-mail-it-intl.htm):

"There are rules and restrictions for what can and can’t be mailed.

This list is not exhaustive, but in most cases, you can’t send…

• Alcohol – Alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, or liquor) are not considered hazardous but can’t go in the mail. If you’re reusing a box displaying alcohol brands, all logos and labels need to be completely removed.
    • Perfume − Perfume containing alcohol is prohibited on air transportation, and can only be shipped domestically via surface transportation. Perfume containing alcohol is prohibited in international shipments.
    • Prescription Drugs – Prescription medications can only be mailed by Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registered entities. Similar regulations may apply to over-the-counter medications.
    • Firearms – Only licensed manufacturers and dealers can mail or receive handguns. And even though unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable, mailers must comply with all applicable regulations."

Quote Originally Posted by wyobud View Post
    Next time you go and visit him, take the gun and give it back to him. (period)
    Very wrong. As soon as he drives into IL he can be arrested for not having a FOID from IL and having the gun. .
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Well the answer to your exact question, without all those who are telling you NO absolutely NOT. They are incorrect. YES, you can mail your son a firearm through the mail system.Those who are saying NO, probably get in their cars get on the highway and never speed.

There are 2 forms to fill out and away you go. I am a collector and after conversing with all the major players in the shipping world they shake their heads and laugh. BUT, and BUT, if you feel insecure call your local UPS or FedX or online and D/L the forms.

So, if I am getting this correctly, the feds will be watching and waiting for HIM to cross state lines,hmmm. Some of the brothers here are looking at the legality angle, much like many years ago crossing from Cali to NM ,I inadvertently left a tomato in a cooler. They took me out of the car and the Fed LEO almost arrested me for bringing a fruit across state lines (Cali was in a Fruit Fly Crisis). So that said, if you have the ability, take the weapon apart, only a Dickhead LEO will bust your monkey.

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Very wrong. As soon as he drives into IL he can be arrested for not having a FOID from IL and having the gun. .
    NOT TRUE! If you are a Florida resident and visiting Illinois, you may transport a firearm. Check with someone from Illinois on this, but I believe the gun must be in a locked container in the trunk of the vehicle and the ammunition carried in another location of the vehicle. Illinois can NOT prevent an out of state resident from transporting a weapon, but they do make it as difficult as possible.
    Let's hear it for Gun Free Zones... Public places where the criminal has a monopoly
    on self defense. - Gary Nelson 2012

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast