Reloading advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading advice

Blog Entries
    If you're just looking to make some plinking ammo would it be possible to pour your own bullets or is that getting a little crazy about it?
    On a side note... has anyone ever made any wax bullets for practicing in places (i.e. basements) where standard ammo would be dangerous? I had read somewhere a while back about wax bullets but never looked into it.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    That's ridiculous. Digital scales are just as accurate as manual ones when you calibrate them. Even the cheapest digital scales come with calibration weights. I use a digital scale to load long range precision rifle loads all the time with perfect results.
    I have both. Digital scales don't respond the way that mechanical scales do. That can be tricky for beginners.

I trickle and weigh EVERY charge when I reload for rifle. That's not practical with electronic scales, at least the ones I've used.

On the other hand, electronic scales are very handy for sorting bullets and cases by weight, and for spot checking loaded rounds for over and under loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
    Due to the difficulty of finding ammunition, I'm seriously considering reloading my own.

Does anyone out there have advice on a decent reloading press for a beginner? I'd mainly be using it for bulk handgun FMJ target ammo (as opposed to precision hunting loads, etc.).

what kind of investment should I be looking at if i'm starting on the ground floor? What equipment should I put off for later and what accessories would I need immediately?

Any input would really help
    If you're a complete beginner, I'd go with a single stage press like an RCBS Rock Chucker. I used one exclusively for rifle ammunition. I use a Dillon RL550B exclusively for handgun ammunition. It's MUCH faster, but can be overwhelming for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I trickle and weigh EVERY charge when I reload for rifle. That's not practical with electronic scales, at least the ones I've used.
    I do exactly the same thing but I've never had any problems with my digital scale.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I do exactly the same thing but I've never had any problems with my digital scale.
    Same here though I calibrate my digital scale before each use and have never had a problem.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

7. Get a good reload manual from Sierra or Hornady. It will teach you the basics and min things you need to get started. If you don't understand something contact the tech support folks. I can't give enough praise to the folks from Sierra bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using USA Carry mobile app

8. I also started reloading recently. I went with the best I could afford which was the Dillion 550B. It is a progressive machine but not fully automatic so you can use it like a single stage press. Hand gun ammo is the best to start out on. Rifle ammo is a little more difficult. I have dropped a chunk of change on my reloading and have gone all out. I'm glad I did. The only thing I should have spent a little extra on was a decent digital scale. You don't have to have one but when doing rifle rounds I would rather throw a exact measurement the first time around. It gets extra time consuming to throw a charge and trickle them all exact. I enjoy this new hobby and I never knew till I started reloading all the benifts to making rounds that each gun shoots best. Just do your homework and watch out for people gouging prices now. EBay has most everything you want. But you will pay a steep price if your not careful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    Same here though I calibrate my digital scale before each use and have never had a problem.
    I've been working in the medical and pharmaceutical fields for years, and the biggest differences in the less expensive digital scales you'll typically find in use in reloading, and those costing thousands of dollars in a biomedical lab, are the response to establish a stable reading, and the degree of accuracy. What that means to a reloader using a digital scale is simply be a little patient in the second or so it takes to get a stable reading, and don't worry about the difference between a weight of 20.0 gns, and 20.00000 gns (unless you just like spending big bucks), the difference to 99% of shooters is nothing you will ever know!

I would consider a hornady press that uses their lock-n-load setup. It is so nice to only have to set your die up once. I can switch calibers in seconds and know I am set up just like the last batch I ran.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    I would consider a hornady press that uses their lock-n-load setup. It is so nice to only have to set your die up once. I can switch calibers in seconds and know I am set up just like the last batch I ran.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    +1. Hornady LNL is gods gift to reloaders that load a variety of calipers. Only have a reset my dies once a year after cleaning them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast