Reloading advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading advice

I started with a Dillon 550. Got a 650 now. Too many people over complicate reloading. It's not a cheap hobby I find that the people that try to make it that way have all the problems.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

I'm also interested in possibly getting into reloading. I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and there is not a big selection of that ammo to chose from. I also have a 9mm pistol.

Can you easily switch from rifle loads to handgun loads or does it require a different setup?

I recently bought lee loadmaster in 9mm for 209.00 plus shipping from a amazon store its a good press but finicky to get set up right .go to the loadmaster zone on the internet and watch all the setup videos the directions that come with the press are crap. im no expert but have loaded about 750 rounds so far with no issues and I am glad to have made the investment. it took a long time to find powder ,primers and even bullets . now I just buy more stock when I happen to see it available

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_of_TX View Post
    I'm also interested in possibly getting into reloading. I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and there is not a big selection of that ammo to chose from. I also have a 9mm pistol.

Can you easily switch from rifle loads to handgun loads or does it require a different setup?
    Using my hornady lock n load single stage is very easy to change calibers. I set my dies up one time. Once that is done if I wanted to change from 9mm to 223 I would turn the 9mm die counter clockwise put it and the shell holder in the box. Insert the 223 die, turn it clockwise till it locks and mount the shell holder. You count the time in seconds.

If I am loading the same bullet I never need to make any adjustments. If I wanted to switch from a 115gr 9mm to 147gr and the OAL changed then I would need to adjust my seating die. But without a bushing type loader you will need to dial your dies in every time you make any change.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post

Using my hornady lock n load single stage is very easy to change calibers. I set my dies up one time. Once that is done if I wanted to change from 9mm to 223 I would turn the 9mm die counter clockwise put it and the shell holder in the box. Insert the 223 die, turn it clockwise till it locks and mount the shell holder. You count the time in seconds.
    Close but not quite. You also have to swap out the powder drop sleeve to account for the bottleneck cartridge. And depending between which cartridges you're switching between you might have to swap out the primer system too. Still, the whole thing doesn't take more than 5 minutes if your dies are set up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Close but not quite. You also have to swap out the powder drop sleeve to account for the bottleneck cartridge. And depending between which cartridges you're switching between you might have to swap out the primer system too. Still, the whole thing doesn't take more than 5 minutes if your dies are set up.
    I hand prime and drop powder away from the press since it is a single stage so i didn't mention it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I hand prime and drop powder away from the press since it is a single stage so i didn't mention it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    Ahh sorry, didn't see that you said it was a single. Saw lock n load and assumed it was the auto progressive.

I considered the AP but decided I needed to learn what I was doing before loading for quantity. I am really fond of my fingers and prefer to not turn one of my firearms into a grenade.

Regardless, I love the lock and load setup.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys. Good to know that I don't need two different setups.

To get started what are the basics that you need? Press, correct dies and tumbler? Just asking about the hardware not the materials that you will use to actually load.

Thanks guys. Good to know that I don't need two different setups.

To get started what are the basics that you need? Press, correct dies and tumbler? Just asking about the hardware not the materials that you will use to actually load.
    YouTube has quite a few instructional videos that will help you out. They helped me out quite a bit when I started reloading.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast