What's your firearms history? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your firearms history?

I have a Winchester 94, in .38-55 that used to be my brother-in-law's. It is the 1983 commemorative honoring Chief Crazy Horse. My brother-in-law earned Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts and enjoyed learning about the native tribes of our country and felt he had a connection with their way of life. I have a bit of Mohawk blood in my ancestry. Two weeks before my brother-in-law's death, at the tender age of 50, he called me to tell me that I was the only one that he knew that would honor and take care of this fine rifle.

It has a place of honor in my house now.
    Last edited by wolf_fire; 08-11-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I have a 1916 DWF Luger with all matching numbers. Shoot it once in a while. Not a nail driver but fun to shoot.What's your firearms history?-p08.jpg

4. I have a FAL which I built from a Rhodesian de-milled rifle - the upper was chopped into pieces to export it to the US and the rest is exactly as it was the last time they brought it in from the field. It still had a lot of the camo paint applied by brush back in the late 70's. I left the painted parts just the way they were, replacing just enough internal parts to meet 922(r) rules.

I have a number of FALs which I have built and all of those have been refinished and/or modernized. The Rhodesian FAL seems to speak to me of time it spent in the bush.

At 68 still have my first 22 from 6, various WWII weapons from my dad, still shoot the 22.

My Father was rather good at Fast Draw and won many trophies. One of the things he won was a 1958 Ithica single shot .22.
    When I was born the rifle was mine.
    I stupidly gave the rifle to my sister for her first born son. Now, I no longer have the first rifle I ever owned and I don't feel right asking for it back. After all, it became her sons first rifle.

What's your firearms history?-ithicaandme.jpg
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

In 1960 I bought a Winchester Model 70 in .264Winchester Magnum. I started hand loading then. I put a Weaver 6x scope with two horizontal crosshairs that subtended 6" at 100 yards. Unfortunately, I sold it in about 1965 to buy a Remington Model 37, heavy barreled target rifle. I put Redfield target iron sights on it. I then won the NM State championship in 50yard standing position with it. I've had various rifles since then, including a 1934 VZ-24 BRNO. It was originally in 8x57, but I had it rechambered to 8mm-06.
    Charlie

I have a Garand that has been in my gun safe for about 20 years now. The man I bought it from said he shot it about 20 times. I have never shot it yet. All the numbers I can see are the same and it is in pretty good shape compared to a lot of them I have seen. Both the wood and the blueing is good on it. The wood does have some marks on it but not many. I kind of tried to find out how old it is, but I did not have much luck. I take it out about twice a year look at it wipe in down with RIG and put it back.

Quote Originally Posted by tenbanshee View Post
    I have a Garand that has been in my gun safe for about 20 years now. The man I bought it from said he shot it about 20 times. I have never shot it yet. All the numbers I can see are the same and it is in pretty good shape compared to a lot of them I have seen. Both the wood and the blueing is good on it. The wood does have some marks on it but not many. I kind of tried to find out how old it is, but I did not have much luck. I take it out about twice a year look at it wipe in down with RIG and put it back.
    There should be dates all over it. Or drawing numbers that will date the parts. Serial Number look up can be done at M1 Garand Born on Date
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

My first gun was a junk .25 auto. I traded it for a M67 Win SS bolt, best trade anyone EVER made. I later scoped it and with Eley Tenex, from the bench, you could tell that 3 shots had been fired at the paper, but 7 more made no difference! When I left with orders to Nam, I gave it to my nephew, and he wouldn't take 10k for it. :-)

870 Rem Wingmaster, 1972 S& W Model 15 ( Now wife').
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast