searching for my first 1911 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: searching for my first 1911

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    Citadel 1911. The Guns.com reviewer had this to say:



    The standard Citadel 1911 with wood grips sold by Cabela's is $550, and they have another on one their web site right now with OD green Hogue grips, 2-8 round mags w/slam pads, skeletonized trigger/hammer, and extended beavertail for better control, $599.
    That one looks good! The only things I don't like about mil spec is the hammer/grip safety and the sights

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

  2.   
  3. #22
    ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChDangerfield View Post
    That one looks good! The only things I don't like about mil spec is the hammer/grip safety and the sights

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app
    Novak style sights.

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    Novak style sights.
    Yeah I know. I was talking about my mil spec RIA

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Rock Island Compact 1911A1 .45 Pistol is the first RIA I've owned. And even though it is short, it still is accurate. But as others have said, first thing to go was the slick grips. It now wears Hogue grips.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  6. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Rock Island Compact 1911A1 .45 Pistol is the first RIA I've owned. And even though it is short, it still is accurate. But as others have said, first thing to go was the slick grips. It now wears Hogue grips.
    At least those grips look dark. I feel the blonde wood against the parkerized steel is an eyesore.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by ChDangerfield View Post
    At least those grips look dark. I feel the blonde wood against the parkerized steel is an eyesore.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app
    They were dark but not as dark as the photo they have. Mine were a typical Walnut color. But it is hard to hold onto a grip that is slick, and the factory one are. With this gun, you need all the grip you can get as it is short in barrel length and length of grip. Almost as bad as a S&W CS40.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by ChDangerfield View Post
    That one looks good! The only things I don't like about mil spec is the hammer/grip safety and the sights

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app
    On most guns, I hate mil-spec sights. That was another thing that surprised me about the RIA 1911A1 CS. The sight picture on that short a gun isn't bad. I have a mil-spec Springfield Armory 1911 and they are terrible. Plus the SA does give me cases of hammer bite. And it hurts.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    They were dark but not as dark as the photo they have. Mine were a typical Walnut color. But it is hard to hold onto a grip that is slick, and the factory one are. With this gun, you need all the grip you can get as it is short in barrel length and length of grip. Almost as bad as a S&W CS40.
    I noticed the grip issue with my 5" 1911. I switched to the standard double diamond grip pattern. Love rosewood.

    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    On most guns, I hate mil-spec sights. That was another thing that surprised me about the RIA 1911A1 CS. The sight picture on that short a gun isn't bad. I have a mil-spec Springfield Armory 1911 and they are terrible. Plus the SA does give me cases of hammer bite. And it hurts.
    I get hammer bite a lot. It is how you know you are holding it properly. I want to find a good 1911 smith to have the commander hammer and dovetail grip safety installed on mine and sight changes.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

  10. #29
    ezkl2230 Guest
    [QUOTE=ChDangerfield;457543]I noticed the grip issue with my 5" 1911. I switched to the standard double diamond grip pattern. Love rosewood.



    I get hammer bite a lot. It is how you know you are holding it properly. I want to find a good 1911 smith to have the commander hammer and dovetail grip safety installed on mine and sight changes.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app[/QUOTe

    That's the nice thing about the extended beavertail on the Citadel - no hammer bite.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChDangerfield View Post
    I noticed the grip issue with my 5" 1911. I switched to the standard double diamond grip pattern. Love rosewood.



    I get hammer bite a lot. It is how you know you are holding it properly. I want to find a good 1911 smith to have the commander hammer and dovetail grip safety installed on mine and sight changes.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app
    That's the nice thing about the extended beavertail on the Citadel - no hammer bite.
    Same on the RIA CS. Beavertail prevents hammer bite. But put a hundred rounds thru it and you'll wish you had a longer barrel. While it is a heavy all steel gun, it still has a good bit of muzzle rise. A 4/4.5 inch barreled gun is a good compromise.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast