• Open Carry

2 9.52%
  • Concealed Carry

18 85.71%
  • Don't Carry

1 4.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Parks Carry Question

where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    Considering that most park facilities are run by a contractor, and not by any actual federal employees - that raises and interesting question. By that standard, the hotels, lodges, restaurants and gift shops don't seem to be federal facilities.
    Never argue with a red-haired witch. It wastes your breath and only delays the inevitable. --the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
    Well I found this: Laws & Policies - Yellowstone National Park
    A few notable quotes:
    "Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park (such as visitor centers, government offices, etc.); those places are marked with signs at all public entrances."
    "Hunting and discharge of firearms remain prohibited in Yellowstone National Park."
    "Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions."

I wonder if discharging as a means of protecting one's person, property and loved ones is ok? I would think so but I'd hate to see someone defend themselves and get a fine for discharge or a weapon.
    That's why there is the saying, "Better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6".

Yes, bring bear spray, however it doesn't work every time. Now what? Oh well, get eaten and/or mauled by the bear? No, shoot it. Then deal with the legal problems. But here's the good side to that, you're alive to be able to deal with the legal problems.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I do know that if you visit the Gateway Arch lock it in your safe in the car. Metal Detectors and potential pat downs.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Really? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The laws are EXACTLY THE SAME inside the National Park as outside the National Park. Therefore, I can't understand having any additional questions about carrying inside a National Park v. outside the National Park. Do you have all these concerns walking down the street in normal life? There is nothing different regarding firearms inside the National Park.
    Wow! Thanks for that! No... not really.
    I would say that carrying firearms in a N.P. is totally different than your average town, street, city, etc.
    A N.P. is one of the few places in this country where you're going to be in close proximity to not only people from all over the country but from all over the world. A lot of the foreign tourists probably come from a country where firearms aren't as common or even legal. I had already established I knew what the laws for the state were hence me asking for "advice/experience/anecdotes". I wasn't really concerned about the laws as I was more concerned with the experience. I only started talking about laws because someone else brought them up.
    Last thing I need is to be stopped every 30 min by a park ranger because some British, Japanese, French, Enter Country Here, tourist saw my sidearm and freaked out. Again, hence "advice/experience/anecdotes". So unless you've got any "advice/experience/anecdotes" on carrying a firearm in a N.P. then move on. I don't need a bunch of smart ass comments in the vein of "what are you worried about, sissy?" I appreciate your clarification of the building rules but I don't appreciate your obviously snide remarks.
    On a side note, I left this forum for awhile because I kept running in to a-holes and it got really tiresome. I figured I'd come back and try it again and of course I run into it immediately on my first post, which, by-the-way, I thought was a valid and reasonable question.
    Are people going to ask dumb questions? Yes. Are people going to continue to bring up OC vs. CC, calibers, and every other reoccurring topic? Yes. Do we need to be jerks to them because they were too lazy or ignorant to search past all the "I can't effing believe what Obama did this time" posts? No. People come here to shoot-the-****, ask questions, and give answers regarding a topic most of us consider as important as breathing. No need to be jerks about it all the time. Hell, this very topic was probably covered already and I just felt like asking for myself. No wonder this world is going to crap. Give me a ******* break.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

I would say that carrying firearms in a N.P. is totally different than your average town, street, city, etc.
    A N.P. is one of the few places in this country where you're going to be in close proximity to not only people from all over the country but from all over the world. A lot of the foreign tourists probably come from a country where firearms aren't as common or even legal.
    you need to get out more! visit NYC, DC, Miami to name a few big cities where you will encounter many people from other parts of the country and from around the world. do yourself a favor and go easy on the proclamations of opinions.
    FWIW opinions are like anal orifices, we all have them and most of them stink
    YMMV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you need to get out more! visit NYC, DC, Miami to name a few big cities where you will encounter many people from other parts of the country and from around the world. do yourself a favor and go easy on the proclamations of opinions.
    FWIW opinions are like anal orifices, we all have them and most of them stink
    YMMV
    Too bad open carry isn't allowed in any of those places you mentioned which makes your statement sort-of irrelevant. I'm was concerned with OCing in a N.P. FYI I've been plenty of places where I've encountered people from around the world and the country. I bet if most people from NYC, DC and Miami saw me OCing they'd freak out too.
    Also it's a good thing we live in America so I don't have to, as you put it, "go easy on the proclamations of opinions" so thanks for the advice.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

8. my anal orifice never stinks

9. jfisch,

In response to your question in your OP and in your tirade posted in #14, I must ask this very relevant question:

Why are you carrying a firearm?

I carry a firearm for my protection, the protection of my family, and just maybe the protection of a complete stranger from the violent attack of a criminal or wild animal. Because that is the reason that I carry a firearm, I will carry my firearm in the way that is both legal and in the manner that I feel is most effective to accomplish that goal, which is 99% of the time openly. I don't particularly care what the reaction of some Japanese tourist might be, or what the reaction of a park ranger might be in response to that Japanese tourist. I know what the law is, I follow the law, and I am capable of explaining what the law is to a Japanese tourist that might ask (in English) or to a park ranger that might approach me.

Having lived in Wyoming between 1978 and 1988 I can't imagine a Yellowstone Park Ranger saying anything to a Japanese tourist other than, "This is the United States, and in this state that gentleman with the gun is perfectly legal and within his rights to carry it." While I have not visited Yellowstone National Park while carrying a firearm, I have openly carried in Cascades National Park and in SEATAC International Airport right in plain sight of Tacoma police officers. They never looked at me twice.

Now, if you want to be concerned about what a Japanese tourist might think about your gun, or what a park ranger's response to that Japanese tourist might be, then just conceal the damn thing and not be concerned about it! How frickin' hard is that?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Howdy jfisch,

. Give me a ******* break.
    If I drive to the end of my driveway and turn right onto the hiwayand take a left when to deadends into another hiway and then drive about 15 miles I'm in Hot Springs National Park.

To me it's your average town, street, city, etc.

I for one was glad to see the NP conceal carry pass because upto this time if I was in the non-NP part of town and I was legally CCWing and I crossed into the NP part of town ( there is t a border cross, gate, guard at a check point, nothing ) then, suddenly I was breaking a Federal law and violating AR's CHCL rules.

Thanks to President Obama and a Democratic controlled Congress for pass the first and only Pro Gun legislation on a Federal level since the GCA of '68, actually since the 2nd Amendment.

Like many others I CCWed in YS, GC, SM, HS, Zion, Canyonlands, and several other NP long before it was legal.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    Just remember it is still illegal to carry in federal buildings even in national parks. For that reason, carrying concealed lessens your chances of arrest if you forget to store your weapon before going into a building.
    I reccomend CC for the above and other reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12