Hernando County Fl. Good Bye Glocks, Hello Sig .45 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hernando County Fl. Good Bye Glocks, Hello Sig .45

Quote Originally Posted by misunderstood View Post
    I have never seen a SIG have an external safety. Except the 1911 but I doubt they go that way. Biggest retrain they have will be switching to a da/sa trigger.
    I wonder if my 229 is a fake, you need to learn a bit more before commenting

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
    This may be the reason for the switch: Report Raises Concern About Glock Handguns CBS Miami
    the article may be factual but I don't take anything from the PBSO too seriously they are very anti gun there

I'll be checking my G36 today. They should go with M&P. I know tons of cops that their dept switched and they couldn't be happier. Being an M&P owner myself I can agree. But still seems weird.

Quote Originally Posted by misunderstood View Post
    I don't understand the armor thing either. Does Glock do a territory thing with their armor?
    No, pay the fee, take the class and your a certified armorer.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I wonder if my 229 is a fake, you need to learn a bit more before commenting

I again have never seen a p229 with a external safety. A decocker is not a safety. You do not have cut it off for it to fire. Maybe you need to take your advice. The only sigs I have seen with a safety is the single action only models. Out of the hundreds I have held the ones I have used never seen a safety. Only SA models.
    To teach tolerance, you must first be Intolerant.

This may be the reason for the switch: Report Raises Concern About Glock Handguns CBS Miami
    The article is an interesting if not eyebrow raising one. I am a LE Glock Armorer and have not heard about this from Miami. I did hear about the 2005 incident with LA. This was shortly after a design change and Glock quickly took care of the issue and LAPD still uses Glocks I Want to Know - official website of THE LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT, as I'm suspecting Glock will take care of things if it truly is an issue and not a local situation.

I've also seen cases where departments were too cheap to send any of their guys to get their Armorer certification and therefore never had their firearms checked after many thousands of rounds went through them. They complained to Glock, Glock's first question was, were they checked annually by your armorer. When the answer was no. They asked when they were last checked... answer, never. Springs needed to be replaced as part of routine maintenance after putting that many rounds through.

I'm not one of these pro-Glock, every other gun sucks people. I enjoy several marques. However, I do know Glock will never do anything to hurt it's standing with the LE community. If this truly is a problem in Miami, you will see Glock fix the issue.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

When I originally saw that report I decided to inspect the firing pin on my 8 year old Glock 19. I'd never had it out before but it took me less than a minute to have it in my hand. It's fired about 5,000 rounds and probably been dry fired at least that much if not more. This is what it looked like:

This is what it looked like after I took a first pass at cleaning it. I went back and finished cleaning it but didn't take a second picture:

This is what the back side of the breech face looked like (I have access to a Hawkeye bore scope):

The striker channel has a step in diameter in it. This is the step and beyond it, slightly out of focus, is the breech face.

There was some carbon build up crunk in there as you can see. I cleaned it out with suitable bronze bore brushes, then flushed it with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. It cleaned right up. I didn't take pictures of it after cleaning it. The Glock 19 had never had a failure of any kind. It worked, and continues to work, flawlessly. It's old enough that I don't think it has the MIM striker assembly in it.

Seriously, this gun is so easy to work in it's ridiculous to even require training. Watch a DVD. Detail stripping it is a piece of cake.

Fitch

Blog Entries
    Do PDs usually order guns in lots? If so maybe there was just an issue with a small series of guns made at the same time. I was always under the impression that most PDs let their officers choose their own carry gun as long as it was a standard caliber. Maybe that's just small depts. without big budgets.
    I don't see why they would stop using them all together. It says: "The Coral Gables Police Department took the preemptive step of asking Glock to replace all of the firing pins in their guns. Glock immediately sent Coral Gables a box of new firing pins." Sounds like hella-good customer service to me.
    I've never shot/owned a Glock so I can't speak on their quality/design/etc. but 7,500 law enforcement agencies can't be wrong... can they? Seems like if there was really an issue with quality control then the number of Glocks in LE would be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    When I originally saw that report I decided to inspect the firing pin on my 8 year old Glock 19. I'd never had it out before but it took me less than a minute to have it in my hand. It's fired about 5,000 rounds and probably been dry fired at least that much if not more.
    I'd be interested to hear from other Glock owners on here if they noticed anything wrong with their pins. I was under the impression it was a Gen. 4 issue as well. Not sure where I got that idea.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Yep, Confirmed.
    Apparently Glock was not working with the Hernando Sheriffs department and insisted the issue was the result of misuse and possibly hard primers.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Do PDs usually order guns in lots? If so maybe there was just an issue with a small series of guns made at the same time. I was always under the impression that most PDs let their officers choose their own carry gun as long as it was a standard caliber. Maybe that's just small depts. without big budgets.
    I don't see why they would stop using them all together. It says: "The Coral Gables Police Department took the preemptive step of asking Glock to replace all of the firing pins in their guns. Glock immediately sent Coral Gables a box of new firing pins." Sounds like hella-good customer service to me.
    I've never shot/owned a Glock so I can't speak on their quality/design/etc. but 7,500 law enforcement agencies can't be wrong... can they? Seems like if there was really an issue with quality control then the number of Glocks in LE would be lower.

I'd be interested to hear from other Glock owners on here if they noticed anything wrong with their pins. I was under the impression it was a Gen. 4 issue as well. Not sure where I got that idea.
    Are you implying that a Glock Owner would admit there was something wrong with their Glock?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast