Question about home carry/defense and alcohol - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about home carry/defense and alcohol

1. The statute reads you cannot use guns while under the influence....

It doesn't say your BAC must be zero.

I can't quote a specific statute but I'm going to guess that if the shooting is deemed justified in all other aspects they aren't going to deem it unjustified because you had a beer
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

4. The question seems to hinge on what your state defines 'carrying' to mean. It's my guess that unless you live somewhere like Commie-necticut what you do I. Your own home isn't 'carrying' under law. You had the gun close by anyway right? And that double tequila you just finished was poured for your nerves while you were on the phone with 9/11. That's your story a d you're sticking to it....

Quote Originally Posted by reddragonrph View Post
    Just wondering: Do all of you lock up your gun if you are carrying around the house and decide you want a beer (or glass of wine, or whatever)?
    No, stays in its holster until I go to bed.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Michigan has the same law as Ohio regarding alcohol. And, yes, it is annoying.

My husband and I both carry and have our CPL's. If we go to dinner and he has a beer, one beer, and I don't drink anything (which is what we used to do) because I will be the designated driver, if we get pulled over, we could both lose our guns and then our CPL's, even if both guns are locked in our trunk with no ammo. Now, not every policeman would do this but many would. That said, I did check with our lawyer about having a drink at home and he said mostly what Navy said.

So, if my husband wants to have a beer when we go out for dinner, we leave our guns at home. Mostly, however, we just don't drink when we are out anymore. We do, however, occasionally have a beer or glass of wine in our home. We just keep our gun nearby in case of an emergency.

I look forward to hearing what your lawyer says.

7. Me, too! But I need to find one, first. And come up with the right questions to ask him once I find him.

Anybody have any ideas on how to vet a gun lawyer...what should I ask to see if he's worth his salt? (Beside the obvious "how much experience do you have with Ohio and Federal gun legislation and court precedent") And beside the OP...what else would you ask a lawyer if you had one for an hour? Maybe you guys will have something I haven't thought of.

The NRA can give you a list of reputable lawyers in your area
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I have a self policy to never drink when I carry and drive. Don't drink and drive either carry or not. However, drinking and guns generally don't mix. The known is known, knowing there is an unknown is the delima.

Quote Originally Posted by reddragonrph View Post
    Just wondering: Do all of you lock up your gun if you are carrying around the house and decide you want a beer (or glass of wine, or whatever)?
    if there are kiddies in the house the guns should always be locked up when not being carried regardless of your consumption of alcohol or not.
    I do not lock my weapons up at home and I even go out to restaurants and consume adult beverages as well.
    that said one size does not fit all, some people are incapacitated by having one drink while others can have a few and not be impaired.
    In Fla the law says that you can carry while intoxicated but if you have to use your weapon you will be in it deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I can't quote a specific statute but I'm going to guess that if the shooting is deemed justified in all other aspects they aren't going to deem it unjustified because you had a beer
    In FLA it would be the opposite, while there is no law against drinking and carrying the law does address drunken usage. In other words if you are drinking in FLA you are OK as long as the gun never leaves the holster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast