What's your "apocalypse" gun? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's your "apocalypse" gun?

1. What's your "apocalypse" gun?

A good AK, a mossberg 500 8 shot 12 gauge, and a couple of CZ 75's.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Read the article on the home page about the best caliber for a concealed. I'm not saying i agree with it, but he does present a compelling argument.

Blog Entries
    A rifle backed up by a shotgun backed up by a pistol backed up by another rifle

6. M4/XD-S.45/Mossberg 500

7. Depending on one's definition of "apocalypse" the AR platform is a good a bet as any. It provides multiple shots in both close quarters and medium range distance and can be used in both a self defense and hunting arena up to medium sized game (load dependent). I have yet to invest in one and rely on my Mossberg 9200 with 18" cylinder bore. Up close a 12 gauge is devastating and can be tailored to fit most situations in both self defense and hunting. I recognize that it lacks the ability at long range and at precision shooting. The weight in hauling a shotgun around makes it problematic in both mobility and concealment. I had a Marlin 1894c in 357 magnum which served to back up my revolvers and provided 9 shots. That however has gone onto my son and am now looking to put a rifle back into my collection. Perhaps the Mossberg MVP predator or patrol?

OK, people are straying from the question, and if I could tke my whole arsenal, or at least one each pistol/rifle/shotgun I would. In answer to the question though, I would lean towards the 12guage. With a variety of loads it can be used for almost anything, with the exception of long-range sniping. That said, with a slug and some practice you gould be pretty accurate at a fair distance. Mine is a Benelli Supernova-Tactical (pistol grip and ghost sights) and I can use it for anything from fowl to larger game, home defense, and there are even less-than-lethal options and signaling options. Hell, you can get "dragons-breath" shells and use it as a fire starter.
    Chief

If I have the luxury of picking my "apocalypse" gun, it will be my Arsenal SAM7A1 since I would likely be unable to clean it on a regular basis due to the fact that cleaning supplies my be lacking or that I may not have the time or opportunity. I want something that will remain reliable even after several thousand rounds and my SAM7 has gone in excess of 5K without being cleaned during training so I know it is up to the task.

If I have the good fortune to be able to choose a second gun, it'll be the Glock 17 for the same reasons- it is extremely tolerant of minimal maintenance and will keep on ticking 'til I can hit it with a dry rag and a little oil.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

AK pistol (drako) and an AK with a 357 revolver as backup once the 75 round drums are empty....

Since the only guns I will have available would be the ones I already own my basic gun would have to be a 12 gauge shotgun which one doesn't really matter, I'm proficient with them all and have a wide variety of loads for them. This can be used to hunt small to large game that is in my area and makes a great defense weapon for CQC.
    ~
    Being from Ohio using a 12 gauge for 100+ yard shot is not a problem, been deer hunting for decades, even on the run they will fall.
    ~
    In the same breathe I am not going to bug out unless absolutely necessary which means I will have the use and availability of all my weapons and supplies.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast