Support for carry permits - Page 10

View Poll Results: Are carry permits a good thing?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are good, all states should have them.

7 12.73%
  • No, there is nothing good about the government requiring a permit to carry a gun.

32 58.18%
  • Some benefit: such as providing proof the person carrying the gun is legal to do so.

16 29.09%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Support for carry permits

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    A LEO would be a fool to believe I am a good guy because I hand him a card that I claim to be real and valid. As soon as he runs my name and birthdate, he is going to get the information that I am not a felon anyway, so why should I have to pay the government for them to issue a "good guy" card anyway? Think about it. When you are stopped for a traffic stop, does the officer just assume that the driver's license you show them is still real and valid? None do that I know of.
    Exactly... all a genuine permit proves is I'm not a felon. I'm not sure if you've ever seen Indiana's permit before but it's a pink slip of paper I could easily create on my home printer.
    Maybe we should have all felons carry a permit to be a felon?
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

VA's is the same, it's a white business card and with black printing and a blue signature, and it is "recommended" that you laminate it. I honestly think some states that don't really want gun control at all have just put very little effort into the CC process. Regardless of whether you have one or not, they are still going to find out all they need when they run your DL.
    Chief

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    VA's is the same, it's a white business card and with black printing and a blue signature, and it is "recommended" that you laminate it. I honestly think some states that don't really want gun control at all have just put very little effort into the CC process. Regardless of whether you have one or not, they are still going to find out all they need when they run your DL.
    I'm not sure if Indiana permits are tied to my DL but I wouldn't be surprised. I agree that it seems like the Indiana permit is the bare minimum they thought they needed to make the anti-gun nuts happy or to comply with other states that only issue reciprocity if a permit is present. Here there aren't any classes, tests to take or other things required in some states. I do have an issue with having to pay money for it and the complete waste of time to file the paperwork. My rights shouldn't be an inconvenience to me to exercise.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_of_TX View Post
    It seems the same people who want more gun control get their jollies by letting criminals out of jail. It would be better with everyone being able to carry if criminals were actually kept behind bars for long periods of time. If everyone is able to carry without a permit then a condition of parole or probation should be that they not carry a firearm until they are finished with parole or probation.
    Well... close. But please consider this..

The gun has absolutely nothing to do with it at all..........

The real concern isn't whether or not the criminal is "allowed" to have a gun.. the real concern is keeping the criminal from having access to more victims until the criminal can be trusted to be where he/she would have access to more victims.

Doesn't matter if that criminal is "allowed" to have a gun while on probation since the problem isn't the gun but is the criminal making some other innocent another victim.

Why do we as a society not understand that a criminal that does not obey the law isn't going to obey any gun laws because if they did obey the law they wouldn't be a criminal in the first place.. and then we let criminals who have harmed innocent victims have access to more victims by releasing them before they can be trusted to not harm another innocent victim.... whether they are legally allowed to have a gun or not.

And then some in society think that some dumb ass law that doesn't allow criminals to have a gun will stop them from having a gun when the first law that didn't allow them to harm an innocent victim didn't stop them from..................... harming an innocent victim.

What kind of crazy ass BS whacko thought processes are going on inside the heads of people who don't understand that guns have nothing to do with the only way to prevent a criminal from harming another victim is to prevent the criminal access to more victims?

I personally think that at this moment in History society as a whole is suffering from the mental illness called "denial" and is mired in an inability to face facts.

Fact...

Violent criminals commit acts of violence regardless of what they use (guns, knives, ball bats, tire irons) to help them commit that violence.

Fact:

Entirely too many criminals who don't obey the laws that say they aren't allowed to commit violence will not obey any laws that say they can't have guns.

My opinion:

Anyone who thinks a law that says criminals aren't allowed to have a gun to hurt them means the criminal won't have a gun because he isn't "allowed" is a total dumb ass unable to face the real world fact that a criminal doesn't give a crap about the law.

Fact:

When violent criminals are kept locked up away from society they do not have access to more innocent victims out in society.

Common sense:

Criminals can't hurt people the can't get at whether they have a gun or not.

Speaking of gun registration and confiscation. those carry permit databases maintained by the state? Could come in real handy, at some point...

So, no, any/all benefit as per a carry permit system is inured to the gov't, not the citizenry.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Speaking of gun registration and confiscation. those carry permit databases maintained by the state? Could come in real handy, at some point...

So, no, any/all benefit as per a carry permit system is inured to the gov't, not the citizenry.
    Just because you have a carry permit doesn't mean you have a gun. Sure there should be a correlation there but not always.
    Fact: I have a friend who works for a worldwide security company. They were thinking of having him do security at a site where the guards carry guns. In order for him to get this position they required him to get an Indiana carry permit. He did and he actually doesn't own a firearm. So in this case it would just mean an inconvenience to him when they came knocking on the door.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by no2gates View Post
    Wait, do you really think that a felon should be allowed to carry a gun? Not that it's going to stop them (it's too damn easy for criminals to obtain guns).
    I'm not a huge fan of government, but I really like the fact that only law abiding citizens can carry guns.
    Common sense tells you that you only pass laws that are actually enforceable. Common sense also tells you that, laws, like locks, only make things more inconvenient for honest folks who follow the laws. The idea that we'll continue to pass laws just so we have more charges to tack on when we arrest someone is absurd. If the law is essentially unenforceable on criminals in the first place, then why have it?

When a guy commits murder, does it really matter that we can tack on the charge of "illegal posession of a gun"?
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    When a guy commits murder, does it really matter that we can tack on the charge of "illegal posession of a gun"?
    Well.. perhaps for some folks it makes them "feel" better to be able to say...

"See? That murderer who just shot 3 people dead wasn't "allowed" to have a gun!"

as if not being "allowed" was supposed to have prevented the murders.

11. I find it extremely humorous that we're discussing whether a FREED criminal, who has, according to the legal system, paid their debt to society, should be re-granted their 2nd amendment RIGHTS (this isn't the punch line, but I just found a bit of irony in that first sentence as well)...yet this same legal system is having to debate an inmate's rights, WHO IS STILL CURRENTLY IN PRISON, as to whether or not he should have the right to choose what gender he wants to be at the tax payers' expense! So inmates who are serving their time have more rights than a "criminal" who has served their time and is supposedly free?

And I notice a lot of people here seem to be grouping the category of "felon" into the "violent offender" group as well. But a large portion of convicted felons are not violent offenders, yet they still cannot purchase or possess a firearm.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast