Support for carry permits - Page 6

View Poll Results: Are carry permits a good thing?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are good, all states should have them.

7 12.73%
  • No, there is nothing good about the government requiring a permit to carry a gun.

32 58.18%
  • Some benefit: such as providing proof the person carrying the gun is legal to do so.

16 29.09%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Support for carry permits

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    These people have failed to follow the rules and are felons. Whether they become "rehabilitated" or not upon release, they don't posses the ability to make good decisons, many are sociopathic and otherwise do not deserve the same rights as law abiding citizens when it comes to carrying guns. That simple. The same goes for those who have a history of being a forensic psychiatric patient.

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone
    So... it would seem that you are in favor of gun control when it is directed at those who, in your opinion based upon your own personal beliefs, should not be "allowed" to exercise their right to bear arms.

Thing is... either we all have the right to bear arms or all we have is the privilege according to whoever has the power to decree who is "acceptable" and who is "unacceptable".

Again... if someone is so dangerous or nutty they cannot be trusted with a gun then, instead of coming up with laws that say they aren't "allowed" to have a gun... the very same laws that they ignore and have guns anyway... it would make more sense to just keep them locked up where they don't have access to more victims.

One other thing to consider... there are many anti gun folks out there who have the opinion that only the police possess the ability to make good decisions in regards to guns. And if we go the route of restricting rights according to the opinions of folks then... the opinions of those who happen to be in power will become the laws that determine who is "allowed" to exercise the right to bear arms.

Actually, if we simply look to recent History... say the past 50 years or so... it becomes obvious that restricting the right to bear arms hasn't stopped violent criminals from committing crimes using guns. Nor has it stopped violent criminals who have been released from prison from committing crimes with guns again.. and again.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results so ...why do we continue to release violent criminals into society so they can have the opportunity to use a gun that no law can stop them from getting against yet another victim?

These people have failed to follow the rules and are felons. Whether they become "rehabilitated" or not upon release, they don't posses the ability to make good decisons, many are sociopathic and otherwise do not deserve the same rights as law abiding citizens when it comes to carrying guns. That simple. The same goes for those who have a history of being a forensic psychiatric patient.

If they don't deserve the same rights because they are too dangerous, why are they not still in prison?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am not a fan of anything that tells anyone who has guns. I have my permit, and it certainly is better than not being allowed to carry at all (travel to LA? scary), but I still don't like it.

I did hear of someone who got denied to have a concealed carry permit because back in 1947 he stole a pig. Wish I remebered the source, cause that's hilarious. I'm sure it got worked out, but that's just an example of how insane the system can be.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I know that some members of this forum actually support carry permits, CCW permits, CPLs, whatever you want to call the government permission slip that some states require to either carry a gun in public at all, or to conceal the gun being carried. Personally, I see absolutely NOTHING positive associated with a permit/license requirement. Can somebody show us any benefit IN REALITY (not just in theory) to having a legal requirement to obtain a license/permit in order to legally carry a gun?

Edited: I did not mean to ask for benefits of complying with the law. I meant to ask for benefits of the legal requirement.
    I am opposed to any restriction of our 2A rights in any form. If that means a few people gain firearms that probably shouldn't have them, I will gladly take that risk. There are risks associated with our 2A rights. Rights do not guarantee safety. They guarantee freedom.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    I am not a fan of anything that tells anyone who has guns. I have my permit, and it certainly is better than not being allowed to carry at all (travel to LA? scary), but I still don't like it.

I did hear of someone who got denied to have a concealed carry permit because back in 1947 he stole a pig. Wish I remebered the source, cause that's hilarious. I'm sure it got worked out, but that's just an example of how insane the system can be.
    Couldn't get a permit because of something stupid like stealing a pig in 1947?? That's just bat$hit crazy.. Come on, the guy is how old now? I think he's payed his debt to society (or the farmer) by now.
    Every time you call Tech Support, a kitten dies...

I believe when you have paid your price that should be the end of it. There may be cases that shouldn't be. I think if you can go 10 years crime free you should be considered to get your rights restored. Some people have just done dumb stuff when they were young.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    If they don't deserve the same rights because they are too dangerous, why are they not still in prison?
    That would be the million dollar question.

There are many convicted felons out there who have never spent one day in prison. They may have spent some time in jail but not in prison. Those are people who have committed non-violent crimes. Those might be on probation for 10 years but they have no gun rights. Violate that probation and they could be sent right directly to prison. But as for those first time felons who commit a violent crime, the recidivism is as high as 80%. And in that case, 10 years without a problem should restore the 20%'s rights. The 80%ers are likely to be rearrested within 3 years.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

10. Maybe a poor person could sue the state over having to pay for a permit,im sure the dems could get behind a poor person

That would be the million dollar question.

I revert back to my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I agree. Felons should stay in prison until their debt is paid, and when released if it's safe to do so, should have their Rights restored...unfortunately they release felons well before their debt is repaid. Fixing the justice and prison system though doesn't affect that felons aren't allowed firearms.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast