Support for carry permits - Page 7

View Poll Results: Are carry permits a good thing?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are good, all states should have them.

7 12.73%
  • No, there is nothing good about the government requiring a permit to carry a gun.

32 58.18%
  • Some benefit: such as providing proof the person carrying the gun is legal to do so.

16 29.09%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Support for carry permits

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Yes, I do think a felon who has paid his/her debt to society should be able to exercise his/her natural right to bear arms. Have you looked at how many non violent crimes are classified as a "felony"? Not to mention that if a person is so violent they can't be trusted with a gun why aren't they kept locked up where they do not have access to more victims?.........
    I know it's not what you intended to reference, but violent offenders are paroled all the time due to overcrowded prisons. There are other reasons, some just as stupid and some not so, but it happens. And whodat2710 certainly nailed that in his post about who is getting paroled and who isn't. But in some ways that was your point, wasn't it? That's where I think the full debt, not just prison time, be the deciding factor before the restoration of rights even be considered. No restoration of rights should be considered until the entire original sentence has been completed and their parole has ended.
    You bring up another interesting point as well. Maybe non-violent crimes should be excluded. Certainly something to consider anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I can live with the permit system only if it is a shall/must issue. In other words as long as I qualify, no criminal history for example, the government MUST issue me a permit. What goes on now in many states that pretend to be within the law is ludicrous.
    Please help me understand. Did you really just say that you are for gun control for other folks as long as it doesn't affect you? That it is Ok to restrict the rights of other people as long as you agree with those restrictions?
    Actually he said he could live with it, not that he was for it. Unfortunately that's the only choice most of us have right now, though we don't have to like it. I certainly don't. I have a feeling apvbguy was trying to express that same sentiment.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

3. Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    These people have failed to follow the rules and are felons. Whether they become "rehabilitated" or not upon release, they don't posses the ability to make good decisons, many are sociopathic and otherwise do not deserve the same rights as law abiding citizens when it comes to carrying guns. That simple. The same goes for those who have a history of being a forensic psychiatric patient.

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone
    Why not just execute them and be done with it, then?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    If I do not need an ID to vote, I don't need an ID to Carry.
    Friggin aye!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

I can't state it any simpler than this.....

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by no2gates View Post
    Wait, do you really think that a felon should be allowed to carry a gun? Not that it's going to stop them (it's too damn easy for criminals to obtain guns).
    I'm not a huge fan of government, but I really like the fact that only law abiding citizens can carry guns.
    YES!! If said felon is still a danger to society, that felon should never be allowed out of jail!!! If that felon has paid his/her debt and is no longer a danger to society, than his/her rights should not still be infringed!!!!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    Do you have any concept on how many felons re-offend when they're out of jail? Or how many of them continue with lifelong substance abuse problems and have sociopathic behaviors that never get counseling and/or fail to comply with taking their prescription meds? Just because they "pay their debt" to society in a jail doesn't mean they're cured from being a danger to society. Granted, if they want to get their hands on a gun they probably will someway or somehow regardless but having their "rights restored" is just outrageous to me.
    Then why were they ever allowed back out of jail if they were still a danger to society???? It's the prison system that is broken, not the 2nd Amendment.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    These people have failed to follow the rules and are felons. Whether they become "rehabilitated" or not upon release, they don't posses the ability to make good decisons, many are sociopathic and otherwise do not deserve the same rights as law abiding citizens when it comes to carrying guns. That simple. The same goes for those who have a history of being a forensic psychiatric patient.

So you believe the rights of all Americans are conditional then? Those conditions for having those rights should be controlled by the government then? You sir, have just defined a privilege, not a right!!

What you are saying then, is that every person who has ever committed a felony (violent or not), is no longer a free citizen of the United States regardless of the debt they have paid to society. If they are no longer free after they have been freed, why were they ever freed in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
    Maybe a poor person could sue the state over having to pay for a permit,im sure the dems could get behind a poor person
    It takes money to sue someone... did you not say a "poor" person. If the poor person couldn't afford the permit cost, how could they pay for a lawyer and the fees necessary to file suit? Oh yea, the Dems? *rolls eyes*

I hope your post was sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    It takes money to sue someone... did you not say a "poor" person. If the poor person couldn't afford the permit cost, how could they pay for a lawyer and the fees necessary to file suit? Oh yea, the Dems? *rolls eyes*

I hope your post was sarcastic.
    I think it would be great if a poor black went into the SPLC and claimed that because they were poor, they couldn't get a gun ownership permit from New York. Dems would go ape trying to dissuade that person. Do the same with the NAACP and get the same results. That would show that both groups are not about the law, but about power only. Then go to the NRA and try to get them to back it. About a 50-50 chance there.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Then why were they ever allowed back out of jail if they were still a danger to society???? It's the prison system that is broken, not the 2nd Amendment.
    Precisely. But it still isn't an excuse to allow lawful firearm possession by felons.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast