Support for carry permits - Page 9

View Poll Results: Are carry permits a good thing?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are good, all states should have them.

7 12.73%
  • No, there is nothing good about the government requiring a permit to carry a gun.

32 58.18%
  • Some benefit: such as providing proof the person carrying the gun is legal to do so.

16 29.09%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Support for carry permits

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    So your solution to our prison system being broken, is to break the Constitution as well. Smart... very smart <---- sarcasm
    I think that for violent crimes, the death penalty should be more prevalent (and televised). For violent criminal recidivists it should be mandatory.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    So your solution to our prison system being broken, is to break the Constitution as well. Smart... very smart <---- sarcasm
    The constitution isn't being broken down due to disallowing felons/cons legal possession of firearms. I don't refute that if they want to commit a crime with a firearm, they will. But the at least the charges go up and jail time is added...usually substantially. But why would you allow someone who did 10 years for armed robbery, the legal access to firearms once they are released? They are going to have probation undoubtedly anyway. "Debt to society" is not being rehabilitated in the true sense of the word. And rehabilitation is rarely successful in the prison system.

Bu there are 2 different conversations here. The necessity/support of the permit system and allowing felons legal possession of firearms. The permit system does less for public safety and causes more of an infringement on gun rights. There could be some benefit, but like i said, I would like to see denied applications in shall issue States and why they were denied. Felons? Mental health concerns? Do those types of people ACTUALLY submit carry permit applications? Would love to see the data on that.

Blog Entries
    There should never be a monetary cost to have to prove our innocence. At makes us all guilty by default.

Part of the permit process (in the county I live in) is to interview your neighbors. Now, why would neighbors have a say whether or not I am "fit" to carry? Why would I want my neighbors to even know I owned guns, let alone wanted to carry? The county also has a psychological test requirement. It is an 8 hour test, in a city in another county, given by a company who will not accept anything but cash as payment...no checks, cashiers checks, money orders, credit cards....just cash. Go figure. However, that being said, I find the required CCW class to be a good thing. Any learning experience is valuable.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons" General MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by JeanP View Post
    Part of the permit process (in the county I live in) is to interview your neighbors. Now, why would neighbors have a say whether or not I am "fit" to carry? Why would I want my neighbors to even know I owned guns, let alone wanted to carry? You must live in Kalifornistan...The county also has a psychological test requirement. It is an 8 hour test, in a city in another county, given by a company who will not accept anything but cash as payment...no checks, cashiers checks, money orders, credit cards....just cash. Yup, Kalifornistan. Cash can't be traced, that way the politicians can get their share of it. Go figure. However, that being said, I find the required CCW class to be a good thing. Way to beat the system! Any learning experience is valuable.
    I am actually surprised that the fact that you want a gun doesn't disqualify you psychologically. I have no problem with the training, and every gun owner should WANT to train. It's the "required" part that bugs me. I guess now that you have crossed all those hurdles all you have left is to figure out how to get an Ammunition Permit.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    The constitution isn't being broken down due to disallowing felons/cons legal possession of firearms. I don't refute that if they want to commit a crime with a firearm, they will. But the at least the charges go up and jail time is added...usually substantially. But why would you allow someone who did 10 years for armed robbery, the legal access to firearms once they are released? They are going to have probation undoubtedly anyway. "Debt to society" is not being rehabilitated in the true sense of the word. And rehabilitation is rarely successful in the prison system.

Bu there are 2 different conversations here. The necessity/support of the permit system and allowing felons legal possession of firearms. The permit system does less for public safety and causes more of an infringement on gun rights. There could be some benefit, but like i said, I would like to see denied applications in shall issue States and why they were denied. Felons? Mental health concerns? Do those types of people ACTUALLY submit carry permit applications? Would love to see the data on that.
    I agree with harsher sentencing. I agree with more death penalties for egregiously violent crimes. I agree with life sentencing for people that cannot be rehabilitated. All these things, you and I agree with.

And here is where you and I differ, "...shall not be infringed" is understandable by me, but not to you.

The permit system is an infringement upon all citizens, good, bad, or indifferent. The fact that our draconian government officials have set up a privilege system in lieu of a Constitutional right is appalling to me.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

8. Support for carry permits

Quote Originally Posted by JeanP View Post
    Part of the permit process (in the county I live in) is to interview your neighbors. Now, why would neighbors have a say whether or not I am "fit" to carry? Why would I want my neighbors to even know I owned guns, let alone wanted to carry? The county also has a psychological test requirement. It is an 8 hour test, in a city in another county, given by a company who will not accept anything but cash as payment...no checks, cashiers checks, money orders, credit cards....just cash. Go figure. However, that being said, I find the required CCW class to be a good thing. Any learning experience is valuable.
    You find the REQUIRED class a good thing? Perhaps we should require you to get a free speech permit then. I think that would be a good thing also. I think the saying I heard a while back goes: "Democrats believe you should be friend to do whatever you want...as long as it's mandatory!"

What I would have said is that I like it that people want to take the class, because yes, any learning experience is valuable. But I do not like that people want it mandated.

It seems the same people who want more gun control get their jollies by letting criminals out of jail. It would be better with everyone being able to carry if criminals were actually kept behind bars for long periods of time. If everyone is able to carry without a permit then a condition of parole or probation should be that they not carry a firearm until they are finished with parole or probation.

The only thing that is good is that it shows the leo that you are not a felon.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

11. Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    The only thing that is good is that it shows the leo that you are not a felon.
    A LEO would be a fool to believe I am a good guy because I hand him a card that I claim to be real and valid. As soon as he runs my name and birthdate, he is going to get the information that I am not a felon anyway, so why should I have to pay the government for them to issue a "good guy" card anyway? Think about it. When you are stopped for a traffic stop, does the officer just assume that the driver's license you show them is still real and valid? None do that I know of.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast